Moving to Malaysia with a disability

Hello everyone,

Having a disability should not be a barrier to living abroad. While the intricacies of one's move to Malaysia may be specific to the individual, certain steps can be undertaken to make the process smoother.

What are the important aspects you would personally keep in mind during the planning phase (social security benefits, ongoing medical treatment, etc.)?

Are you required to go through a medical check-up before your move?

Are there any organisations or groups who lend support to expatriates who have a disability?

What are your thoughts on the infrastructure in Malaysia (public spaces, transportation and buildings)?

Are there enough opportunities to make the most of your social life in Malaysia? Are leisure activities made accessible to people with disabilities? 

Please do share your experience with us.

Bhavna

Though I cannot comment on the medical support, the general attitude of people with disability is very welcoming and warm. The infrastructure is good with ramps and elevators. People are willing to help and don't make those with disabilities feel unwanted.

Actually I myself is a paraplegic suffering from T12 spinal cord injury due to traffic accident in Laos. I am dependent on a wheelchair to move around.
As I'm staying in Johor Bahru, I could only comment on JB area. All of the newer malls are wheelchair accessible and have disabled toilets readily available. Just that sometimes for eg in Komtar JBCC the disabled toilets are quite often under maintenance and you have to check every other floors whether any one of the disabled toilets is available or not.
Major new tourist attractions like Legoland, Johor Premium Outlet, Puteri Harbour are also wheelchair accessible. Some older ones like Johor Zoo is not that accessible, only some parts are accessible with assistance but be aware there is no disabled toilet there.
Shophouses are generally not accessible as they have no ramp. However with some assistance, you could negotiate the curbs.

It makes me so sad to hear of anyone suffering.  It's very positive that ones are trying to keep smiling even under adversity. I guess hope and faith can help a lot. I am hoping to fly to Penang soon and find out what opportunities there are for less abled people.  After reading the article on opportunities for disabled people I was at first disheartened and then inspired. cbt-i.org/increasing-the-employability-of-disabilities-in-penang/  Thank you for trying to remain so positive.