Renting a place

Hello everyone
What are the process and conditions to rent a small place in KL? Can we trust applications and websites? Or we should come down to KL first and then search for a place?
Do people rent places to international students?
Are there any special conditions?

Sites like propertyguru, the edge property, and iproperty can only be posted by licensed agents. So they're generally safe. However you would need to do your own research as each agent is going to say their listing is in the best possible location. Do you know where you are working / which area in KL you want to be situated in? That's usually a good plsce to start.

Rules of renting in KL

1. Always look in person.
2. First 5 places you will be shown are the rubbish the agent can't shift.
3. Never never never hand over any money until you have possession of the property. That means you sign the agreement in the property and have the keys and access cards.
4. Make sure an inventory is done and signed.
5. Take your own pictures of the property inside, and send the next day to the agent to confirm state of the property.
6. Deposit is typically 2.5 months so you need 3.5 months cash upfront.
7. Make sure utility bills are read and agreed. Take your own pictures of the meters.
8. Contracts are 12 months.

Sub lets or flat shares (usually not that legal but.....) same rules on possession and agree utilities etc.

Nemodot gave an excellent summary. In addition, don't believe the adverts you see online. That gorgeous unit advertised at RM1800 will actually not be available, "But we have one for RM2200." And the interior photos are often not of the particular unit being rented, just stock photos. Misrepresentation by agents, if not outright lies, is common.
Bargain hard with the agents/landlords because there is enormous oversupply in many districts of KL, and more condos still being built. The agent typically gets one month's rent from the landlord for finding a tenant. Sometimes you can bargain down the rent and the agent just takes a smaller cut.

There is also the challenge of being a foreigner and many owners wont rent to foreigners --unless maybe you have a contract with Petronas or something.  I try to avoid all agents and deal with owners directly because many agents, besides the lies, are too fast to say "no foreigners" but I was always able to persuade an owner when I had that chance. Be prepared to be told NO and hatch a plan to overcome it.

Along the same lines is racism. The ads seldom say so but on the phone its, Chinese only! Indian only! Malay only! Those who dont say that will try to discourage you--"you know, i really think you would be happier in another area."

But there is also a rent level where these problems magically disappear. I dont know where that is but when you get up there, like RM20,000 per month, the agents and owners tend to bite their tongues.

In all cases, it greatly helps to be nicely dressed and well-mannered when meeting agents and owners. Dont be an arrogant slob.

Thanks my friends for your help.
But renting a place sims very difficult.
I have a pet as well, will it cause more problems? Should I mention her to owners?

Many condos ban pets especially dogs. So an issue.

Hi,

If you're main concern is wanting to speak directly with landlords, instead of going through property agents,you may want to try speedhome.com.

Another advantage of speedhome is you don't need to pay deposit, the two month upfront payment will go to paying for the first and last month of your tenure. They will however check your credit score so please be sure to have your documents in proper order. The landlords who offer their places up for rent through the speedhome platform trade off deposit payment with insurance coverage from speedhome.

If your concern is about the pictures advertised not matching the actual units, you may want to try cozyhomes.my/ . They're actually the renting arm for interior designers - the Makeover Guys - you can see their work here - facebook.com/themakeover.my, and the units up for rent at cozyhomes.my have been interior designed by them. The places are normally at the higher end of the market, and renting is through agents.

All the best with the house hunting!

Just to add on to my previous post - definitely mention you have a pet to the landlord.

Much better to get confirmation upfront that you're allowed to have pets in your place, rather than have to deal with neighbours reporting on you later and have the headache of having to find another place pronto.

Also, be sure that the the owner himself is the one that confirms you're allowed to have pets, agents may say yes because that's what you want to hear but the owner will have the final say whether they will want to sign the contract with you.

Thanks, that was very helpful.

having pets will be a challenge.

She is so quite. Non of our previous neighbors ever noticed her.

A safe bet is to book a room for a few nights through AirBnB or into a hotel first and then when you are here to go looking for an apartment.  Long stay apartments are normally for a year with a two months deposit plus 1 month utilities deposit and the 1st month rent.  You will need to complete a year rental in order to receive your deposit back.  Individual room rentals are less stringent on the duration an deposit but a minimum of 1 month is required.  There are many apartments and rooms available so you may be spoiled for choice but location and accessibility may be your main criteria.  Will be happy to assist if yo need more information.  Happy hunting. Robinson

Thank you for the information. I'll have them in mind.

Looking forward to hear from you soon

Moderated by Diksha 4 years ago
Reason : Please drop a free advert in the Housing section.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Details and photos please

Suria Jelatek Residence Fully Furnished
3R 2B

24h security
Gym, mini mart
Infiniti pool with KLCC view
Jalan jelatek/ near Jalan Ampang.

Walking distance to LRT Jelatek & Great Eastern Mall

5 min to KLCC
10 min to Wangsa Walk Mall
2 min to Gleneagles Hospital
2 min to Sayfol International School

Direct access to AKLEH
DUKE, MRR2

Cobolin wrote:

Nemodot gave an excellent summary. In addition, don't believe the adverts you see online. That gorgeous unit advertised at RM1800 will actually not be available, "But we have one for RM2200." And the interior photos are often not of the particular unit being rented, just stock photos. Misrepresentation by agents, if not outright lies, is common.
Bargain hard with the agents/landlords because there is enormous oversupply in many districts of KL, and more condos still being built. The agent typically gets one month's rent from the landlord for finding a tenant. Sometimes you can bargain down the rent and the agent just takes a smaller cut.

That doesn't just disturb the prospects but it hurts honest agents too as obviously the ones with the lowest prices gets the calls. Even those top agents with yearly awards that you'll see at the side banner on property portals practice this phishing tactic.

Nona61 wrote:

Hello everyone
What are the process and conditions to rent a small place in KL? Can we trust applications and websites? Or we should come down to KL first and then search for a place?
Do people rent places to international students?
Are there any special conditions?

Websites are not to be trusted 100% as a lot of agents do not post actual photos. You'll have to ask them if it is the actual photo beforehand in order not to waste your time.

For example in my listings I will put "actual photos and videos and actual price".
I actually take the time to take tens if not hundreds of photos and videos of every floor (for a landed house) for the prospects locally and overseas to see beforehand. That's how I was able to close many deals with clients who are coming from overseas who want a place to move into right away.

The procedure is standard everywhere. You'll have to pay a booking fee (usually to the agent's AGENCY account as a stakeholder not private account or in some cases to the owner's account) once you like a house which is 1 month rental price which will be translated into your first month rental so you only start paying for the 2nd month onwards.

Then before the actual move in date or on the day itself (if you transfer the money directly into the owner's account by instant transfer) you have to pay the 2.5 months deposit which consists of 2 months security deposit and 0.5 month utilities deposit).

I must add that it is not that easy to look for a place to rent as a student but it can definitely be done. Just that it takes more time than usual. All the best.

Nemodot wrote:

Rules of renting in KL

1. Always look in person.
2. First 5 places you will be shown are the rubbish the agent can't shift.
3. Never never never hand over any money until you have possession of the property. That means you sign the agreement in the property and have the keys and access cards.
4. Make sure an inventory is done and signed.
5. Take your own pictures of the property inside, and send the next day to the agent to confirm state of the property.
6. Deposit is typically 2.5 months so you need 3.5 months cash upfront.
7. Make sure utility bills are read and agreed. Take your own pictures of the meters.
8. Contracts are 12 months.

Sub lets or flat shares (usually not that legal but.....) same rules on possession and agree utilities etc.

2. Doesn't really make sense to me. Agents show what is the best that they can get for the price range and requirements given.

5. I would add this. Take photos of whatever marks or scratches or defects and verify with the owner. Keep it until check out time for proof.

As soon as I came to Malaysia, 2 weeks ago, we met 3 agents. They were all realy nice and honest people. We found a unit at "Desa Green". It's not close to places that we had in mind, but the price, safety and conditions of the place is good.
Thank you all for the great and useful info. They were all really handy. 🙂

Nona61 wrote:

As soon as I came to Malaysia, 2 weeks ago, we met 3 agents. They were all realy nice and honest people. We found a unit at "Desa Green". It's not close to places that we had in mind, but the price, safety and conditions of the place is good.
Thank you all for the great and useful info. They were all really handy. 🙂

Good choice. Hope you'll enjoy your stay. That place is quite breezy. I have good friends living there. The location is quite central. You're in the middle of everything.

Thanks. We're getting used to the place now. Hope we can find good friends in Malaysia, so we won't feel homesick anymore.
KL is a great place and so amusing to us.