Accommodation near GIIS

Hi All,

I am considering moving to KL by April '13. I am from India with a wife and one 6 yrs old kid. I have been going thru the site and find the information really useful. I would request if i can get some advice on following:

1.) My budget for acco is RM 4000/month. I will be looking at a fully furnished place which should be either walking distance or 15-20 min bus ride from GIIS.( i assume GIIS will have their bus service for kids). Security at the place is of prime importance as I travel overseas for my job and my wife and kid manage alone for short periods ( 1-2 weeks/month)

2.)What are the options for car lease? I plan to be in KL for minimum 2 - 3 yrs. How much does it work out for honda city kind of category. (I have a option to work from home for 1st 3 months and then will know the office location.)

3.)Last COL, i have been reading lot and understand that it all depends on one's lifestyle. So want to have a view if RM 15000/m will be ok for 1 kid couple who:
1. eat out every weekend (Vegetarians and only social drinking)
2. go to short vacation at nearby place every 3-4 month.
3. Kid in GIIS
4. membership of clubs, fitness center
5. Will need house hold help

Look forward to advice.

Regards,

Hello akc_rs.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope other members will give you some useful informations.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi I would if I were you not send your kid to the global Indian school. Gobfor something more upmarket - worth the money although school fees are ludicrous in Malaysia mostly as large profit margins taken.

If you get 15k plus 4k housing allowance you will be ok but a good school will cost 3-6,000 RM a month. 3k a month is bottom end of ok. Anything lower isn't a school in KL.

A local car can be run for 1,500 RM a month all in

If you wanna stay in that area (Mont Kiara) you will be staying at one of the cheaper places @ 4K/month for a fully furnished condo. 4K/month might sound a lot to you but in Mont Kiara this kind of rental is not a lot.

Nemodot is right about the car rental price, for 1500/month you'll be able to get a Proton Saga. If you wanna drive something more fancy you need to cough up the double(?) (not even sure if that's gonna be enough). With fancy i refer to imported cars.

Eating out is not a big deal unless you want to, the price range is huge. If you wanna spend RM50 on vegetarian dinner for the whole family, no problem. If you wanna spend RM500 for dinner, also no problem.

If you wanna to weekend travelling just have a look at agoda.com (or other) to get some price ideas. Usually would pay around RM350/night for hotel/resort here and that's a no frills hotel. Again the price range is huge, no problem to find hotel for RM1K+/night as well if you want to.

Hi Akc,

Maybe you'd like to clarify if 4000 pm is part of the 15000 salary or over and above 15000pm? I'm from India too and I think 4000 is good enough to get a 3BR condo with security, dedicated parking, swimming pool, kid's play area, in-house gym, etc in Mont Kiara or surrounding areas. But sort out the school first and then your accomodation based on the location of the school. There are plenty of international schools with different budgets; you need to figure out what's right for you. ISKL, Gardens, Mont' Kiara internation schools are fantastic but most of the parents sending their kids to these schools are covered for educational expenses by their companies. Plenty of discussions on international schools on this blog site.

Cars are much more expensive in Malaysia than India but interest rates on car loans (within 4%) are lower and you pay much lesser for petrol (1L=1.9RM in Malaysia v/s almost 5RM in India). Go for a second hand car and you can get a good car. I bought a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe and am paying 1100RM over the next 4 years. Don't regret it.

Cheers!

Hello 
I can help you to find a maid.

[Moderated: Please communicate via private messages]

carlyle1979 wrote:

Hi Akc,

Cars are much more expensive in Malaysia than India but interest rates on car loans (within 4%) are lower and you pay much lesser for petrol (1L=1.9RM in Malaysia v/s almost 5RM in India). Go for a second hand car and you can get a good car. I bought a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe and am paying 1100RM over the next 4 years. Don't regret it.

Cheers!

Interesting, i actually tried at  a couple of used car sales places but all of them said the banks
will not accept car loan for foreigners. The best lead i had was one guy who said he thought it would be possible to loan 50% of the purchase amount and pay the remaining 50% in cash. Doesn't make any sense that they would be lying to me since i made it clear to them that i cannot afford to pay in cash for a 100K car.

Mind sharing which bank that borrowed you the money and also how much they borrowed you?

Dear Mr. Pune,

I understand that you will be coming to Malaysia on April 2013. First of all I would like to welcome you and your family.

I would say for your budget for RM4000 you can rent places in certain places in mont kiara. It is definitely a good place for the expats because expat seems to love to live there because of their accessibility of shopping malls and taxis.

Another place I would recommend is U-Thant, the place is a nice and quiet place and the security is good. If you would need help, i be more than happy to get you a three bedroom for less than RM4000.

As for the car lease, it depends if you going to get a daily basis is the price is going to be higher, if you plan to do monthly the price might possibly be about RM90 daily.

For RM15000, it all have to depends how much is the tuition fee for the GIIS. I check and the Annual tuition fees
RM 6,500 – 7,000. 15-7= 8,000= it should be good for not too excessive expenses.

Dear All,

Thanks for the valuable feedback.

@Nemodot: We were looking at GIIS from being a school affiliated to CBSE India. I believe my stay in KL will be around 3-5 yrs and then i may need to move to Spore or back to India. So would like to have  kid going to CBSE school. So would like to know if Bangsar will be ok to stay if my kid is going to GIIS.

Also any recommendation on condos is welcome.

@carlyle1979: 4K is over and above 15K. Want to know if you are required to make any down payment for car. or it can be EMI from day 1. Did you go thru a bank ? or there are car dealer who give you the option to pay in monthly installment.

Regards,