What bandwidth is Wifi?

Is it 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz or both?

It's both. It depends on your WiFi router. 2.4 is slower, 5 is faster. However, 2.4 gets more distance. These all concrete buildings in LatAm cause problems with WiFi, the signal slows a ton compared to wood & drywall.
Default configuration on most routers is it will use both frequencies and automatically switch between them.

Bigbrad2008 wrote:

Is it 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz or both?

Those are frequencies, not bandwidth.  Most Wifi devices nowadays can operate on both frequencies. 

Bandwidth is the amount of data, how many bits can be transmitted/received in one second - the speed.  So the higher number the better, in general - but in the real world especially as the frequency gets higher, material objects can block transmission and reception.  Sometimes you can get better performance and longer range with the 2.4 GHz, sometimes the 5 GHz may be better - it can vary locally.

Wi-Fi is a trademarked name for the standard 802.11 set by IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, which largely develops standards for the computer and electronics industry) .  There are different standards 802.11a, 802.11b, etc. that specify different speeds and which frequency they are for.

Here's an article that explains the numbering:

https://www.networkworld.com/article/32 … ained.html

For each 802.11 standard the article above explains the speed, for instance for 802.11a, this was for the 5 GHz frequency with a speed of up to 54 Mbps.  802.11n specifies a speed up to 600Mbps.

As the technology evolved, standards were proposed and adopted to take advantage of the faster speeds.  Each manufacturer is responsible for designing and building devices that adhere to the standards so that compatibility is maintained.  The FCC is largely responsible for overseeing this, inspecting and authorizing devices, as well as making rules so that everything runs more or less smoothly.

I understand what both of you are saying but what is the most common system in Ecuador? If you don't know, say so

Remember that Wi-Fi is NOT the ISP, not the internet.  It is just the system that transmits a signal wirelessly, usually only short distances like within a building, from where the internet comes into that building usually via a cable, and then to wireless devices nearby.  The Wi-Fi system is dependent on the wireless router that you, or any establishment that offers Wi-Fi, has in use.

So since Ecuador is poorer than the US there are more likely to be more older wireless routers  that offer only 2.4 GHz in use.  But there will still be a large number that offer both, I'd say the majority, since both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz have been around now for over 10 years.

You could be using a router that's only 2.4 GHz.  Your next-door neighbor could be using one that is both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.  It's really largely irrelevant, unless there are transmission/reception issues that might make one frequency preferable over the other.   But even then built-in auto-switching can take care of that.  Perhaps if you could explain why you are asking this question, you could get a better answer.

It is relevant, that is why I asked. I just upgraded my phone and it can be used in Ecuador. Even though it is a new phone with a 5000 mamp battery, it only recognizes 2.4. it is a Moto g7 power, ads said dual band width etc. I got it 3 days ago and it only saw the 2.4 GHz. After spending a long time with Moto they finally said oh Damm, that model only does 2.4 and no way you can get 5. Some real new modems only do 5 but most do both. So if most of the modems in Ecuador did only 5, I would not bring it