Crate shipping

Hi all, my husband and I are planning a move to Ecudor within a year.  I know their are shipping options that involve 20ft and 40 ft cargo containers but has anyone experienced shipping a crate that is smaller than 20ft.  Would this be a less expensive option.  I don't have enough to fill a 20 ft crate.  Also has anyone brought along a small flat screen television on the plane with them and what was the proceedure and cost involved. thanks tammie

Hello,

It's allowed to ship cargo that only fills part of a container, this is call LCL (Lower Container Load)instead of FCL (Full Container Load)
If you have close to half container, like 15M3 usually is expensier than load a full 20' container. Also it depends which harbour are you using to ship the cargo. In a big harbour is easy to find another cargo with the same destination, if not you will have to wait for another load and is going to cost more money (storage, fees....)

About the TV, you can bring one no bigger than 22" as part of your luggage, you have to fill the customs declaration they give you in the plane. And you don't have to pay any taxes.

If you need more help, let me know.

Vinny

Hi Tammie,
Our crate is being made as we speak (5m3). I could give you details in a few days. We have decided to explore Quito and Cuenca before deciding. So our stuff is now in the hands of the shipping company waiting for our instructions on when (in 2-4 months) and where to ship it. We expect to leave within 2 weeks. We decided to take only the ''hard to replace'' items and the electronics then buy furniture in Ecuador. Apparently we could find nice and inexpensive furniture locally. We could let you know then :) Mitri

Hello Mitri:
May I ask you what shipping company you are using?  I need to contact a shipper who knows the laws of how much and what can be shipped to Ecuador.
I appreciate any assistance.  Gracias,Diane

Hi Diane,
we are using the services of a freight forwarder in Montreal who is taking charge from packing in our home to delivering inside our home in Ecuador. Since we are not sure if the destination will be Quito or Cuenca, they will be holding our stuff until we decide and obtain our residents visa (even if it takes many months). The limit on what you can take is your own. Once your resident's visa is obtained, you can bring in up to $10,000 worth without duty and your car which must be no more than 4 years old (the year it was manufactured counts as one year). We are bringing in electronics and art objets impossible to sell at a half decent price. Otherwise we would have brought nothing! Note that electronics and cars are expensive in Ecuador. You are free to bring in more stuff but you will have to pay duty (28%) on the excess. Hope this helps. If I can be of more assistance, please let me know. Mitri

Thank you Mitri that was helpful info. 
I was told you could only bring in 200 kg, at least until you obtain a residency visa. That is good that the shipper will hold your items until you are able to receive them.  I just need to find a shipper to work with.
Good luck,
Diane

Hello Mitri&Edith,

we are planning a move to the coast in September.  Going to Salinas for a few weeks in two weeks from now.

We are VERY curious to know which company you are using as we are contemplating doing exactly what you will do with your stuff (maybe we'll bring a little more, not sure yet).

Would it be possible for us to exchange emails?  I'd like to know how much this is costing you and if they will REALLY deal with everything (like the translation, the detailed lists, etc).

many thanks in advance
Marc