Quito and Cuenca Internet Quality?

Can anyone comment on the quality and speed of internet service in Quito and Cuenca apartments??.  Planning a visit and personal situation makes high quality/speed internet necessary.  Thanks..

In Quito, speed is ok for vonage, Apple TV, etc. at around $50/month. Wireless routers supplied by Internet providers are junk so you may need to hardware or be in close proximity. Due to interior construction, signal does not travel far.

I use sling box and a voip phone with TVCABLE here in Cuenca. I use a range extender for the house as I found concrete and rebar not friendly to wifi.  We use the wireless router (TPLink) offered by the cable company.  The range extender is also TPLink.  So far so good. Although we do spend more on internet than $50.  But no complaint about TVCable.

Quito0819,

Did TVCable sell you the Range Extender or did you buy it elsewhere?

Thanks,  any idea of what part of town TVcable covers?

would someone in Cuenca mind doing an internet speed test and posting the results??

just go to speedtest.net and post the downlink and uplink results you get.  also post the Provider name you are using.

thanks much...

Nards Barley wrote:

Quito0819,

Did TVCable sell you the Range Extender or did you buy it elsewhere?

Sorry, didn't see that

I had someone bring it from the States.  But you can get them at a computer store right by the Millennium Mall.

I have the router from TVCable (was having address conflicts with the ones I bought and they just replace the router...)  I got the same brand (TP Link) for the range extender.

Mike

crsR66 wrote:

would someone in Cuenca mind doing an internet speed test and posting the results??

just go to speedtest.net and post the downlink and uplink results you get.  also post the Provider name you are using.

thanks much...

Think the speed really depends on the what you pay for...  I'm on the upper end with TVCable and they seem to be willing to "boast" my speed when I call them to complain about low speed.

Thanks, would you mind posting the upload and download speeds you are experiencing when testing at www.speedtest.net 

Take care.

At 08h00

16.46 Mbps down
3.86  Mbps up

Cuenca/TVcable

thanks very much, just what I needed.

Is the speed posted by quito0819 constant?  You show at 08h00!  How about at noon or 18h00 or 20h00 where everybody is in front of the TV and or computer?
In Mexico - the cable speed varied greatly depending on the time of day (from almost 0 to - well - rarely advertised speed).  TelMex DSL service was constant all day.
I am also looking to "move" to Ecuador and work remotely all the time and need a good constant speed!
Thanks

Based on what I've read,I thought you'd like to know some tricks for speed and blind operation. I purchased a Roku 3 series unit with a dual band ASUS wireless router. It has the 2.4 GHZ as most wireless routers do but it has the programming capacity to set up multiple wireless devices at 5GHZ which very few if any of you are using so, regardless of concrete and heavy usage you decide the frequency of choice. Model #RT N 66U at amazon about $127 bucks. Nothing comes this close and it's architecture is a military version for serious encryption capability. Not to mention blinding unbelievable speeds.
Couple this with HMA's VPN service and you cant be found anywhere in the world nor can YOUR messages be un encrypted even if intercepted.
HMA is searchable as hide my ass. No kidding that's there name. if speed and transparency are what you seek this is the way to go. FYI, because you pick your own ISP address and change whenever you feel security maybe breached you can change it as well as the many server locations they offer globally. If say the states are your choice of ISP's and various servers then you have CLEAN ACCESS TO ALL PROGRAMMING. of all stateside channels and others you can purchase like HBO GO or any of the 1,000 offered most are free.  Good bye Direct TV or others.

I was one month in Cuenca and another month in Quito.  I found the DSL speed in both locations to be constant 3MB down and 1MB up.    I rented in newer buildings to make sure the wiring would be new and requested both landlords to email me results from tests using speedtest.net prior to renting.

Take care

Thanks for the answer - sounds pretty much like what I was getting in Puerto Vallarta (old town), that speed is acceptable!