Bringing Your Pets to Panama from the USA or Canada

Here is an updated article I put together about bringing your pets to Panama, with current 2019 information.

So, you have decided to make the move to panama, and now you are in the planning stages. What to do with the house, furnishings, mail forwarding, the car, and of course, the most important one, your baby (dog or cat). Pets are like family and of course you want to take them with you. Bringing a pet to Panama is actually quite simple, but it is not easy. There are many steps that you will have to follow, or you could run into problems, that you do not want to face, upon arrival with your pet in Panama.

I would highly suggest as the governments and Airlines change policies often, for you co contact the airline and each agency mentioned below, to confirm there have been no changes to the process. If you have come on one of our Retire in Panama Tours, we will always keep you updated on the changes, and we even provide some red-carpet services, for a small fee to handle the process here in Panama for you. Remember, when you arrive here, everything will be handled in the Spanish language.

retireinpanamatours.com/blog/bringing-your-pets-to-panama-from-the-usa-or-canada

We made arrangements through United because we were told they allowed pets in the cabin. Bought the carriers and had papers and went to airport and they said no in cabin pets. I was not about to traumatize my two small dogs by putting them in cargo. We cancelled and were told no refund. My sister made hers through an Australian booking while I made mine through an American one. Same agency but different countries. She got a refund because we were misled but not me.  We ended up flying American.  We get to Panama and the vet who is supposed to check them doesn't come in until 1:00 so my dogs had to stay at the airport all night.  It was a total nightmare!

Did United Airlines ever give you a reason why you couldn't take your dogs into the cabin ? I am concerned because we plan on bringing our pup (he'll be 8 months old in December) when we fly to Panama. We are retiring this fall and plan on spending 4 months in Panama.  I have been on United's web site about flying with pets and as long as they are in a crate that will fit under the seat and the dogs weight and size fits their requirements and all health vaccinations and certificates are up to date and you pay the required fee then it is troubling that on the day of your departure they said no !!  I have read on United's website you can not sit in bulkhead seats, emergency exit row seats nor Premium Plus seats. Also on the website they list certain aircraft in their fleet you can not have pets in the Premium cabins (business/first class) due to the design of the seats. Were any of these issues the reason they refused you ?  If you ran into some new "rules" that they are no longer allowing pets on board the cabins this would really bring our plans of even going to Panama to an end (we use reward miles for tickets and that is with United). And  as far as the Veterinarian in Panama is there a way to find out what hours they are there to receive pets ?

Hi
Personally I won't travel with the pet until you're ready to move.
It's too much trouble, and too many hoops to jump thru, for only a visit to any country. Have all your ducks in a row before the final trip.
Is you dog a service animal? If it is, you have an extra hoop, your animal must have its certificate that it is. My 90 lb Husky is and he even has a card in his vest with his photo on it. Like a drivers license
He is allowed on any plane and can't be refused by LAW, but we will only be bringing him down on the last trip, when we plan on moving.
Put you pup in boarding or use this time away for his training time.
I used a place called Set Means Sit, they are GREAT and can do all his training while your away, from house braking to following commands
They are all over the us. Look them up at sitmeanssit.com  they can tell you what to expect and prices (it can get up there in money, but I'm so glad that I paid for his training!) then the puppy will be able to Handel the trip with no extra problems. BTW, we fly Delta and don't have problems and have even been told that due to his size, he will get a seat, but he will be on the floor so that he can move around in between us on the plane
Hope this helps you. Have a good trip safe travels

Thanks GInnyP....we are new to flying with a dog. For 38 years we drove from southern Canada to Mexico (west coast, Oaxaca state) which was never a problem and were only asked to show a health certificate once). So the problem seems to be in flying and going thru airport rules and regulations. I don't think I could leave my 6 month old pup with a kennel/training center rather than take him with me. Call it weird, but I would rather not go to Panama than have to do that. I can drive to Mexico and it is not a problem  Your input was very useful...thanks/

From recent experience United does not allow pets in cabin on international flights. Unless you are a diplomat you would be required to go through a approved broker/shipping agent.