Formalities to bring your pet in Panama

Hi all,

What are the formalities and paperwork required to bring your pet in Panama?

How long do formalities & paperwork usually take in Panama?

What are the relevant authorities to contact?

Which vaccines are compulsory? Do your pets have to go in quarantine at their arrival in Panama?

Which advice would you give to the ones who would like to move with a dog, a cat or any other pet?

Thanks in advance for participating :)

There are plenty of formalities, but if you fill out all your paperwork correctly and do all the right steps your pet will be released to you right away for a 30-day "in-house" quarantine. The place to start looking for the information is Panama's consul website. Also, the airlines have their own rules in addition, so check with the airline you'll be flying in on.

Hi FutureExpat!

Thanks for your help :)

Armand

Good to see posted information about pets here.

cats dogs can do in home quarantine if you have all the paper work done correctly ahead of time.

Need Vet health paper work done before transporting them down.

It could maybe be simpler to transport by a regualr transport company to Panama that specializes in Cats dogs (small animals)
You have to have their cages etc .

I think they would arrive in better shape than trying to bring them on airplane with you.

Just be sure you are there when they arrive I was told the Transport folks look after them real well .

Horses have to  be Vet checked have health papers shots etc a bit more to transporting horses.

We will be transporting 2 down and they have to have Minimum 3 days  state side can be up to 15 if you don't have their paper work done ahead of time.

Also need an agent to meet them when they arrive in Panama

horses have to be quarantined in Panama but haven't yet heard how long that is.

Hoping not long.

We will be there upon arrival and stay close by to see them daily   until they are transported to where they will be boarded.

Does anyone know how long Equine quarantine in Panama would be?

Since we have to fly down to see attorney before we move down to do all our paper work we will try and get the things we have to do on Panama end ahead of time.

Does anyone have a list of Riding Clubs just incase.?
Thanks
Judy Choquette

The airlines have paper work to fill out and

Thank you for your contribution Judy!

Harmonie.:)

Have another question concerning bringing animals into Panama: Is there a charge for the paperwork (or to have the papers examined, etc)?

Another off-beat inquiry: How long is my US driver's license good after arriving?  And what does the Panamanian DL cost?

thanks in advance

Hi Northroader,

you should start 2 new threads in the Panama forum ;)

What are the procedures exactly?
  To avoid the err of presuming, are the following steps correct?
1. get pet vaccinated in country of origin (eg U.S.A)
2. get health / physical report signed by licensed vet
The answers to original post seem to refer to flying to Panama, but are the protocols different if one drives to Panama from the U.S.A.?  And what are the protocols for bringing a cat there?

You can check out our blog:

thepazeras.wordpress.com

and look up,
Bringing Pets to Panama from A to Z

This was our experience in April. If you have any questions let us know.

Cheers,
John& Susan

90 days for your drivers liscense after your passport is stamped into Panama

Much appreciated
By the way, reading your blog now.  You mentioned

...90 days license...

are you referring to the length of time that a temp Panama driving license has on it?

Referring to your US drivers license only. (90 days from stamped date of entry if you plan on driving or 180 days if you do not drive.
You can not get a Panama drivers license till you have a permanent Visa.

If I have to stay beyond 90 days with car, is that allowed or do-able?  I want to oversee construction.

You can stay as long as you want, as long as your passport has been properly stamped.

Thanks again
(I'm sure I'll have many more questions).  This is scary, challenging, and exciting!