What is good Salary in Seychelles

Hello i  may need to seychelles with my wife for job. What is the statndard monthly expenses for a family of 2 who does not live a lavish life. And how is the social life there ? It will be a great help for me to get your feedbacks   

Thanks

Hi f0579!

In what are you going to work there?
I hope other members will be advise you soon.

Regards
Armand

I may go in finance & Accounts field.

how about the salary of a teacher/lecturer?do they normally provide accommodation?

f0579 wrote:

Hello i  may need to seychelles with my wife for job. What is the statndard monthly expenses for a family of 2 who does not live a lavish life. And how is the social life there ? It will be a great help for me to get your feedbacks   

Thanks

Really depends on your definition of "standard" and "not lavish".  Rs.20'000 (approx. USD1662) would be good enough for 2 people as long as:
- you're taking public transportation
- your accommodation is paid for
- you're on the regular internet package
- you go out (pub/disco/restaurant) only once or twice a month
- you consider not subscribing to cable TV

But since you'll be an expat, you'll probably be earning more than this (collectively).

Social life is alright if you've got a group of friends.  You might want to be careful about what you do in public though, because it's a small country and when you've been here long enough everyone knows everything about your life.

mohandwivedi wrote:

how about the salary of a teacher/lecturer?do they normally provide accommodation?

Probably depends on your contract.  But normally, they do provide accommodation.  One of my friends is an expat teacher with a Masters degree.  He gets paid about Rs.10'000 and his accommodation is paid for.

kinanshahid wrote:

About Social life, i would say if you coming from any country of the World its really VERY difficult to adjust if you are a social person, as here in Seychelles there is no Social LIFE, after 6:00pm, the whole Island likes a Ghost town. no social events, (yes you can find some social events in Hotels only).

Haha, I wouldn't really call this place a 'ghost town' after 6pm.  We just have different social norms, where most people reserve partying for the weekends.

Look at it this way rather: majority of the population are employed by the government so most people go to work from 8am to 4pm on weekdays.

A typical party here starts at around 9-11 and ends in the early hours of the morning, e.g. 4-6am.  If you're going to party until 6am every day and then work at 8am, people will think that you've got serious issues in life.

Socializing in Seychelles will always include booze.  If there's no booze, nobody's going to show up.

In other countries, people organize bookreading clubs, game nights and other alcohol-free events.  Have you ever tried organizing such events in Seychelles? Not easy.  If anyone here wants to form a small events committee, let's talk.  Perhaps we could come up with a few events for expats or tourists to mingle with locals in a non-hotel lobby setting.

Anyway, if you've got a group of friends in Seychelles, you will find a few cool things to do here.  Next weekend I've planned a trip to the smaller islands with my friends, we'll get up early and sort of "back pack" to the other islands, sight-see and cruise the islands, then party a bit with our other friends there 'til the break of dawn.  The great thing about Seychellois is that if it's crazy enough, they'd be up for it.

if is to start up some social stuffs then i am in, lets talk

Hahahaha 3 thousand views for this post!! Nice

Yes I would like to help creating events!

I'm from NY worked with many A-list celebs and professional sports figures in marketing, management, public relations and professional business development and I'm moving to Seychelles!

Let's talk! :-)

Hello -> Just to note that this thread is old (2011). Do not hesitate to start a new thread on the Seychelles forum for better visibility if you want to create a meet up. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

waooooooo i really mean it, by God grace i will be there in nest week, and i can't wait to get starting, how can we meet my dear?
thxxxxxxxxxx

:offtopic:

So, a monthly income of Rs.10,000 is decent if the accommodation is paid for?

10000scr is more than enough if you don't pay rent, but if you do, you will struggle on 10k as rent itself it pricey.

Morning Patrick,

My family and I are relocating to the island from the USA (New York) ... we are looking for a home, villa or apt to rent by the month. On the internet all we see are vacation rentals and the one that will rent by the month is in very poor conditions and they want crazy money!

Where do the residents go when they are looking to rent? What is the cost of rent that a fair to do resident pay and what areas do they live.

Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated, we plan to be on the island by Aug. 

Tandy

Hi Tandy

In some cases, some foreigners tend to secure a job first. Some prefer to stay with friends until they get an accommodation. You can check for long term accomodation on the website here

arrivaseychelles.com

Prices depends on room, facilities and other services available. There isn't a fixed price really.

HOWEVER, before anything, I'm sure you are aware that you will have to liaise with the Immigration department as to why you're entering Seychelles, get your work permit and all the other bunch of formalities.

As for internet, it all depends, some use WiFi and some use USB dongles but that depends on your needs.

Hope my information is of help!!

Thanks for the info Patrick

THANK YOU!

Yes ... I am in the process of getting my papers together to move on the island. I have a internet company so I'm not to worried about working plus I intend to start another business when I get on the island and well as a youth program.

My real dream is to work with the government to grow the carnival you have every year. My background is marketing, public relation and brand & business management. Over the years I have worked with and for many celebrities and major corporations. I'm from NYC and they say ... If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere! lmbo

Is the internet strong on the island? I understand it goes out from time to time... that is my only real concern. For I use that to work and stay connected.

Tell me a little about teen life on the island. I am preparing a website for the organisation I wish to start on the island ... I understand there is also a small drug issue. I hope to be a major part of making sure we get rid of that fast. Yes... I'm VERY proactive. lmbo

Why do you live there? What do you like most about Seychelles? Tell me of the roads ... I have so many questions! Its great to speak to someone on the island. ... Do you have skype? Thank you for the site ... I will see if they can help me with a home. No... I have no family on the island... and the only person I know now is you! lmbo

I'm just looking for a positive place to just LIVE! No more rat race ... chasing money. I want good friends, beautiful nature and to sing under the moon light and to rat tons of MANGOS! LOL

Tandy

Hi Again!

I'm trying to get my girlfriend to move with me .... do you know a site where she can look for employment? I may also work part-time too .. its the best way to really learn the inner working and people of the island.

In looking for a home ... what are the better and safest areas on Mahe... I understand there is no real crime ...more petty thief? That's good.

Thank you ...

Tandy

one more question...sorry!

Here we bid on the rent cost ... is it the same there? For example if the owner wants $2000.00 you can offer say $1800.00 and see if the owner will accept.

lisa3347 wrote:

THANK YOU!

Is the internet strong on the island? I understand it goes out from time to time... that is my only real concern. For I use that to work and stay connected.

Tell me a little about teen life on the island. I am preparing a website for the organisation I wish to start on the island ... I understand there is also a small drug issue. I hope to be a major part of making sure we get rid of that fast. Yes... I'm VERY proactive. lmbo

Why do you live there? What do you like most about Seychelles? Tell me of the roads ... I have so many questions! Its great to speak to someone on the island. ... Do you have skype? Thank you for the site ... I will see if they can help me with a home. No... I have no family on the island... and the only person I know now is you! lmbo

I'm just looking for a positive place to just LIVE! No more rat race ... chasing money. I want good friends, beautiful nature and to sing under the moon light and to rat tons of MANGOS! LOL

Tandy

Hi Lisa3347

If you rely on internet for your work, It will be a problem. As far as I can tell right now, Cable and Wireless is intermittent, I can't even download my files due to slow connection. Unless you are using their unlimitted package, you will be good to go.

I do have skype yes. Just send me a message in my inbox and I'll help as much as I can. Cheers

lisa3347 wrote:

Hi Again!

I'm trying to get my girlfriend to move with me .... do you know a site where she can look for employment? I may also work part-time too .. its the best way to really learn the inner working and people of the island.

In looking for a home ... what are the better and safest areas on Mahe... I understand there is no real crime ...more petty thief? That's good.

Thank you ...

Tandy

Seychelles don't use much website tools to advertise, very few business does. The employment website would have been a good place to start but right now it's not working
http://www.employment.gov.sc/

I can't really list the good place/bad place areas as opinions might differ.
Yes there's no crime as such like guns and all, none of that. However, thievery is common. I'll be glad to answer and help more just inbox me or add me on facebook.

regards

lisa3347 wrote:

one more question...sorry!

Here we bid on the rent cost ... is it the same there? For example if the owner wants $2000.00 you can offer say $1800.00 and see if the owner will accept.

Yes you can negotiate with some people but some will not. If the owner knows you are a good payer you shouldn't worry.

Hey,

Am a Kenyan and have worked in Seychelles for 2 years. A good salary is relative and depends on the industry and carrer level. Junior Manager expect something like USD 1200. Mid career manager will range USD 1500 - 3000. Senior Manager USD 3000 - 6000. These are estimates and depends on how you negotiate.

i am engineer

Hello nayem -> Can you please introduce yourself? How can we help you? :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

hi
I am an indian i got a offer in parslin for manager with a salary of 1750usd per month
is it enough to live in parslin
pl guide me

basimsetty wrote:

hi
I am an indian i got a offer in parslin for manager with a salary of 1750usd per month
is it enough to live in parslin
pl guide me

The 1750$ is approx 21,000scr which is enough if they are paying your rent and accommodation. :)
Added to that, you can even buy a car on that (not that it is mandatory)

Good day!may i ask if you have any idea how much a nurse in seychelles earns? With salary grades 4,6,7,8 and 11?thank you so much

Hi,chaleianna
i'm a graduate Indian nurse,currently working in Maldives, i too want to know about the salary and job opportunities for nurses out there,if you get kindly let me know as well
Thankyou...
(rejishmanu55@hotmail.com)

I am expecting a good salary  because I want to live happly

What is good Salary in Seychelles For Normal Job.. Like in Dept Stores or Hotel Receptionist.

Hi,

Can any1 plz let me. Know the cost of living in Seychelles,  Mahe island, victoria.  I m getting US $ 1300, Company accommodation.
Is it enough to survive n save money.

Plz help. N comment. :(

I worked in The Seychelles for 2 years on $1,150 per month NET. I had only accommodation paid. I had an apartment within Mahe and therefore didn't have to pay fare. Even if you have to use public transport, it costs around $0.50 from whichever corner of the Island. My main expense was food and entertainment that used to cost me $700 - 800.

So with $1,300, and avoiding extreme luxuries and entertainment that colors the Seychelles (I used to spend a lot on chilled local beer - Eku and Seybrew that is irresistible), you can save at least $500 per month. Hope this helps.

Hi buddy ( billmburugu),

Gr8 still I can save $500  a month, but If
1. I cook at home than?
2. Transportation is given from company as I m a sales engineer.
3. I m  a regular smoker n  a social drinker ( once in  a month )

Now bro !?

If you cook in the house, it's gonna be alot easier - Just pop into STC Supermarket for your groceries and there you go
Drinking once in a while will not hurt and if the company offers you transport then good for you. If you are as mean as some of my friends - less indulgence, you will save as much as $700 per month.

Thanks for the information bro.! God bless u! If u r there I will definitely meet u. Happy New Year..... Cheers!

billmburugu wrote:

If you cook in the house, it's gonna be alot easier - Just pop into STC Supermarket for your groceries and there you go
Drinking once in a while will not hurt and if the company offers you transport then good for you. If you are as mean as some of my friends - less indulgence, you will save as much as $700 per month.

I cook in the house (with my wife) and it costs me $285 comfortably per month. I go to STC Supermarket for my groceries and supplies. I go to Eden island for maize floor (my staple meal) and once in a while i eat out. I dont drink or entertain at night.

I know i have gone overboard if i spend more than SCR 4,000. So you will be alright, no need to worry!

Hi,
Help me out please; anyone from Kenya am training as a science teacher and is completing my university education in July. What can I do to begin my career in Seychelles.
Thanks
Adidwa

Okoth - Seychelles offers many opportunities for teachers especially in International schools or local college. I worked there for 2 years with a local retailer. Do some research on International schools there and send applications for your interest.