British man Married Vietnam girl processing

Hi,
My fiancee is vietnamese. My nationality is british but I worked in Netherlands for 2 years.
And now, i 'm in vietnam to visit my fiancee for few months. We are getting married here.

I have problem.
Vietnam local government require me provide Permanent address in UK. I dont live there, I dont have address in UK. I gave them Netherlands address where I worked. But they said they need permanent UK address so that I can sponsor my fiancee later.
I don't have any conditions to sponsor her so my mum who lives in UK will do that.

I want to ask
is it possible to sponsor her by my mum ?
does the address effect so much on us ?

I really upset and dont know what to do now.
Please give me some advice.

Put your mum's address, problem solved.

colinoscapee wrote:

Put your mum's address, problem solved.

Hi buddy,

thanks for your answer. I don't want to lie to british government because  I didn't pay tax or live in uk for long time. So if I put my mum address, the government will know that ?

Sponsoring your wife later and getting married are two separate things. When you apply for the certificate of non-impediment, the British government will know exactly where you have been. So you are basically saying you owe the UK government tax.

smileyring wrote:

Hi,
My fiancee is vietnamese. My nationality is british but I worked in Netherlands for 2 years.
And now, i 'm in vietnam to visit my fiancee for few months. We are getting married here.

I have problem.
Vietnam local government require me provide Permanent address in UK. I dont live there, I dont have address in UK. I gave them Netherlands address where I worked. But they said they need permanent UK address so that I can sponsor my fiancee later.
I don't have any conditions to sponsor her so my mum who lives in UK will do that.

I want to ask

Do you get informed what kind of proof they accept as your permanent UK address?

colinoscapee wrote:

Sponsoring your wife later and getting married are two separate things. When you apply for the certificate of non-impediment, the British government will know exactly where you have been. So you are basically saying you owe the UK government tax.

My fiancee's local gov said that we have to change address with the same address where I were born for sponsor later. because I put my work country address ( work address is only temp- they said) on document and it will get complicated for sponsor later..

I dont really know am I right to put my work place address or the local gov right..

post wrote:
smileyring wrote:

Hi,

I have problem.

I want to ask

Do you get informed what kind of proof they accept as your permanent UK address?

I actually dont know. we are getting marriage, not sponsor yet!
local government - they said whenever I want to sponsor my wife, I should provide permanent address, ( the address where I was born- UK ) and I dont have permanent address because i moved to another country to work. and now I leave that country i work also.

local gov advice that i should provide right thing in first stage. so that other stage will be easily.
so what should i do now? refill again with my mum's address ( UK) or keeping the address where I worked before for them ?

smileyring wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

My fiancee's local gov said that we have to change address with the same address where I were born for sponsor later. because I put my work country address ( work address is only temp- they said) on document and it will get complicated for sponsor later..

I dont really know am I right to put my work place address or the local gov right..

Geez, it sounds like they are after money. They try and make things hard so you will pay.

In relatiin to the address being where you were born, complete utter rubbish. I put the address of my house in Australia that I bought at the age of 45. Its all about money.

Where are you trying to do this marriage?
Have you considered doing it in the UK?

Here are the documents you need, get your gf to download the same in Vietnamese. You will see no mention about the address of birth.

https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/vietna … quirements

I looked and strangely my marriage certificate, in the preprinted portion, calls for the permanent residence/temporary residence (Nơi thường trú/tạm trú.)  I know in my case, as I had given up my home to my ex-wife, the address that I listed was simply the last place that I had rented in the US.  They were not checking but in your case the discrepancy must have stood out because of the country.  Unusually, the authorities may actually be well intentioned if they think the entry could affect her emigration, even if it is not really likely that it would.

I know that Europeans and Americans face a different situation regarding tax residency.  Basically US citizens must file and pay taxes, even if none are due, regardless of where money is earned.  However I think the situation does make the argument that it is a good idea to stay current, even if you owe no taxes.

@thigv "Basically US citizens must file and pay taxes, even if none are due".  Technically, that is not correct.  U.S. citizens and permanent residents are "subject to tax" on their worldwide income however, if their annual income that is subject to tax is low enough, a U.S. tax return is not required to be filed.

That may be true generally and as the standard deduction has been increased, the number may be getting a lot higher.  However, if you have foreign income that falls under exclusion (Form 2550) I believe a return may be necessary regardless of the amount.

colinoscapee wrote:
smileyring wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Geez, it sounds like they are after money. They try and make things hard so you will pay.

In relatiin to the address being where you were born, complete utter rubbish. I put the address of my house in Australia that I bought at the age of 45. Its all about money.

Where are you trying to do this marriage?
Have you considered doing it in the UK?

Here are the documents you need, get your gf to download the same in Vietnamese. You will see no mention about the address of birth.

https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/vietna … quirements

Thanks buddy for your replying.. Exactly what you said, they want to earn money from us. Actually nepotism. When couple do w service company, everything seem easy, but we do by ourselves , the gov make thing bigger. Tomorrow, i will go to local gov and keep things like before. No changing temp / permanent address. Will tell you what happen later.. :)

THIGV wrote:

I looked and strangely my marriage certificate, in the preprinted portion, calls for the permanent residence/temporary residence (Nơi thường trú/tạm trú.)  I know in my case, as I had given up my home to my ex-wife, the address that I listed was simply the last place that I had rented in the US.  They were not checking but in your case the discrepancy must have stood out because of the country.  Unusually, the authorities may actually be well intentioned if they think the entry could affect her emigration, even if it is not really likely that it would.

I know that Europeans and Americans face a different situation regarding tax residency.  Basically US citizens must file and pay taxes, even if none are due, regardless of where money is earned.  However I think the situation does make the argument that it is a good idea to stay current, even if you owe no taxes.

Thanks mate, they said that if the marriage certificate not right, whenever I decide to sponsor my wife will be difficult because the address that  I filled in marriage (netherlands- temp)  form not match with the address where I sill sponsor her to stay ( UK)

THIGV wrote:

That may be true generally and as the standard deduction has been increased, the number may be getting a lot higher.  However, if you have foreign income that falls under exclusion (Form 2550) I believe a return may be necessary regardless of the amount.

Oh really ? I didnt know this.. please tell me more..

vndreamer wrote:

@thigv "Basically US citizens must file and pay taxes, even if none are due".  Technically, that is not correct.  U.S. citizens and permanent residents are "subject to tax" on their worldwide income however, if their annual income that is subject to tax is low enough, a U.S. tax return is not required to be filed.

I think US citizen have easier condition than european , :)

THIGV wrote:

I went back and checked the rules for 2018 and generally, the same rules apply to the requirements of filing a form 1040.  Generally, it comes down to your age, filing status and whether you have sufficient income subject to tax.  There are other exceptions:

Chart C—Other Situations When You Must File

You must file a return if any of the seven conditions below apply for 2018.

1.           You owe any special taxes, including any of the following.
      a.     Alternative minimum tax.
      b.     Additional tax on a qualified plan, including an individual retirement arrangement (IRA), or other tax-favored account. But if you are filing a return only because you owe this tax, you can file Form 5329 by itself.
      c.     Household employment taxes. But if you are filing a return only because you owe this tax, you can file Schedule H by itself.
      d.     Social security and Medicare tax on tips you didn't report to your employer or on wages you received from an employer who didn't withhold these taxes.
      e.     Write-in taxes, including uncollected social security and Medicare or RRTA tax on tips you reported to your employer or on group-term life insurance and additional taxes on health savings accounts. See the instructions for Schedule 4, line 62.
      f.     Recapture taxes. See the instructions for line 11a and Schedule 4, lines 60b and 62.
2.           You (or your spouse, if filing jointly) received health savings account, Archer MSA, or Medicare Advantage MSA distributions.
3.           You had net earnings from self-employment of at least $400.
4.           You had wages of $108.28 or more from a church or qualified church-controlled organization that is exempt from employer social security and Medicare taxes.
5.           Advance payments of the premium tax credit were made for you, your spouse, or a dependent who enrolled in coverage through the Marketplace. You or whoever enrolled you should have received Form(s) 1095-A showing the amount of the advance payments.
6.           Advance payments of the health coverage tax credit were made for you, your spouse, or a dependent. You or whoever enrolled you should have received Form(s) 1099-H showing the amount of the advance payments.
7.           You are required to include amounts in income under section 965 or you have a net tax liability under section 965 that you are paying in installments under section 965(h) or deferred by making an election under section 965(i).

Here is a link to the rules for filing:

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1040gi

With respect to form 2550, this form is required if you want to claim a foreign earned income exclusion.  Filing form 2550 is not required, but a person who qualifies for the exclusion would be crazy not to claim it.

vndreamer wrote:
THIGV wrote:

I went back and checked the rules for 2018 and generally, the same rules apply to the requirements of filing a form 1040.  Generally, it comes down to your age, filing status and whether you have sufficient income subject to tax.  There are other exceptions:

Chart C—Other Situations When You Must File

You must file a return if any of the seven conditions below apply for 2018.

1.           You owe any special taxes, including any of the following.
      a.     Alternative minimum tax.
      b.     Additional tax on a qualified plan, including an individual retirement arrangement (IRA), or other tax-favored account. But if you are filing a return only because you owe this tax, you can file Form 5329 by itself.
      c.     Household employment taxes. But if you are filing a return only because you owe this tax, you can file Schedule H by itself.
      d.     Social security and Medicare tax on tips you didn't report to your employer or on wages you received from an employer who didn't withhold these taxes.
      e.     Write-in taxes, including uncollected social security and Medicare or RRTA tax on tips you reported to your employer or on group-term life insurance and additional taxes on health savings accounts. See the instructions for Schedule 4, line 62.
      f.     Recapture taxes. See the instructions for line 11a and Schedule 4, lines 60b and 62.
2.           You (or your spouse, if filing jointly) received health savings account, Archer MSA, or Medicare Advantage MSA distributions.
3.           You had net earnings from self-employment of at least $400.
4.           You had wages of $108.28 or more from a church or qualified church-controlled organization that is exempt from employer social security and Medicare taxes.
5.           Advance payments of the premium tax credit were made for you, your spouse, or a dependent who enrolled in coverage through the Marketplace. You or whoever enrolled you should have received Form(s) 1095-A showing the amount of the advance payments.
6.           Advance payments of the health coverage tax credit were made for you, your spouse, or a dependent. You or whoever enrolled you should have received Form(s) 1099-H showing the amount of the advance payments.
7.           You are required to include amounts in income under section 965 or you have a net tax liability under section 965 that you are paying in installments under section 965(h) or deferred by making an election under section 965(i).

Here is a link to the rules for filing:

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1040gi

With respect to form 2550, this form is required if you want to claim a foreign earned income exclusion.  Filing form 2550 is not required, but a person who qualifies for the exclusion would be crazy not to claim it.

-----------

thanks so much for your informations.. It helps..

I went back to local gov for getting marriage certificate and the woman who want to earn money from us scared us when my wife said we have all the documents gov require.. No rule to avoide people who want to get marriage.  And the women work for local gov accepted our paper. She make a date for us to come and take certificate.. But she still keeping say that it's our choice. After that, she doesn't know what happen if the sponsoring can effect ..

My apologies to the Brits for hijacking your thread for a uniquely US problem.   :thanks:

smileyring wrote:

Hi,

I have problem.

I want to ask

You should give any address in the UK, and your mom address should be fine. It's logical, Your PP is British and needs to prove address from your home country.  Your workplace address not acceptable for paper works in Vietnam.

The idea of everyone having a permanent address seems to be central to the Vietnamese psyche.  The Hộ Khẩu system of population registration is built on it. I once posited a scenario to my wife of a Viet citizen living in a rented apartment who had no relatives at all in the country whose household book they could be a part of.  She couldn't even wrap her mind around the idea.