The pet culture in Brazil

Hey everyone,

Pets are an integral part of a lot of families. So much so that they would never consider moving abroad without them. Before doing so, it would be important to know the pet culture in Brazil just to make sure that their little “expets” feel welcomed in their new homes. Would you give our expats-to-be an insight of what it is like to have a pet in Brazil by answering the following questions?

What part do pets play in society in Brazil? Are they generally accepted in rentals and public spaces more generally?

Is it common for families to have pets?

What animal is the most often kept as pets? Are there some animals that cannot be kept as pets? Do some animals have specific significations when kept as pets?

How about the infrastructure needed to cater for pets? Can you find everything you need for your pet in terms of pet food, veterinary services, accessories, pet grooming etc...?

Do people generally spend a lot of money on their pets?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

Sure my dog is family. He always is following and loves attention. Everyone knows him because when I can he rides with me driving and sticks his head out the window. People always say "I saw you and your buddy today."
Great fun and will get my attention if something is going on outside.
To date I do not have friend or family which own a cat, so not sure as to ownership of them. They would make a nice pet in an apartment or condo.
Cost to keep my dog: (There are many vets and pet shop in our city.)
R$60 for grooming per month.
R$130 for flea pills . (3 months)
R$70 for food, plus a few extra R$ for chicken to mix with food.
Annual shots and check up $R$200.
Love from him "priceless".

Well depends on the dog you own, I have a dog for security for the house. Cane corso - everyone is terrified of my dog but is what is intended. Most dont know shes a big couch potato.

When we initially got her as a puppy, she was very sick, upon a trip to the vet. after bloodwork was done on the spot ( few hours wait ), she turned out to have a super rare tick disease. I wont go into the details of the symptoms as it is grim, but now she is healthy and happy, consult for Recife's top tier vet was about 350,  including bloodwork and all necessities for finding out the problem. puppy was basically put on a type of chemotherapy for dogs ,  all the medications total bill was about 1,500 but worth every penny, now if this was in north america you would be looking at about 20k USD or more.

As for food, she eats raw or infamous " sache " lol its cheaper to feed her cooked or raw food then buy kibble as your looking at anywhere from 7 - 10 reais for low end kibble and the price will just spiral upwards at that point.

If you have a large dog people will avoid you as it usually means you have it for a reason. which is nice.

I brought my poodle from America and it worked out for me.  He has since passed.  Where I lived in the U.S. we did not have flees and ticks.  In Brazil I have found that where I live they are a big problem.  My dog had a constant problem.  The ticks have a virus that kills the dog's if they don't have constant care.  They need tick medicine each month.  They need to be inspected often for ticks. My neighbors cannot keep dogs for long.  The ticks kill everyone that they have.  We used to have stray dogs in the streets.  Not so much now.  It is a very sad situation.  I have four dogs now.  I check them everyday.

I had dogs and cats in Brazil from a Sharpei to a Dalmatian to a Siamese cat. They all now passed away.

I don´t plan for now to have pets because I travel frequently. In the place where I live there´s plenty of veterinary services, lot´s of varieties of foods and accessories. Dog
accomodations for lodging is available depending on the area if you´re on vacation.

Not all pets are welcomed in apartments although there´s a law that protects animals from being exempted from living in buildings. Mostly they´re prohibited from loitering
and depositing their wastes in beaches.

Depending on the city, there are local ordinances that require a muzzle mouth guard
on violent dogs like a pit bull when they´re in public. Body fungus is common so you should not let your pet play with street dogs.

Brazilians love pets and consider them as part of the family.

robal