Moving with my pet

Hello all, we are moving from Detroit to Brazil. I've been researching different companies that can help us shipping  our dog. Prices range from $1400 (plus airfare)  to $5600 dollars (including airfare)!
I will not be traveling with my pet but I can have someone pick him up at the airport.  I called United Airlines and they have program called PetSafe. It only costs $360 for the ticket from Detroit-Dallas-Rio de Janeiro and since there is a stop I also need to pay $75 for something they call PetStop.
I will get the Certificado Zoosanitario do Brasil and I will get it USDA certified. According to the Brazilian Consulate web  I don't need to  legalize any documents: "According to the Brazilian Decree # 6,946, of August 21, 2009, it is no longer necessary the legalization of the   International   Health   Certificate   for   Pets,   issued   by   local   veterinarian   and  certified  by the US Department of Agriculture, before travelling to Brazil."
The only thing I'm worried about is when he gets to Rio. I've called United "help desk" several times and each time I get a different answer. Does anybody know if I need to hire a Customs Agent?
Thank you

No, as far as I'm aware if all the documentation for the dog to travel is in order you shouldn't need a Customs Agent. I presume you're having an acquaintance or family member pick up the animal upon arrival? If so then it should be ok.

Cheers,
James

Thank you James.

Detroit to Brazil ... that's going to be a happy dog :) Might want to check with a vet to see if you should give him something before the trip.

I did talked to him and it will be a long 17 hours without us (including the transit time at the airports) :( but United will not accept a dog or cat that has been sedated and accepts no liability for the death or sickness of an animal caused by any drug.
Thanks anyway

You may want to consider giving your dog a low dose of Dramamine. It's a motion sickness medication, not a sedative, but it will tend to keep your dog calm during the trip since it has the effect of a mild tranquilizer. Ask your vet about it and confirm the recommended dosage for your dog's weight.

A low dose obviously won't last for the duration of the trip, but by the time that it wears off completely your dog will probably have become a bit more accustomed to his surroundings anyway.

Cheers,
James       Expat-blog Team

Thanks for the suggestion