Is A Laptop PC or Mac Necessary in Vietnam?

I am virtually retired here, but I welcome replies from all: remote workers, teachers, those employed in Vietnam, businesspersons, even digital nomads and backpackers.

I've been lugging my HP Envy 17" laptop around the country, mostly because it offers an online interface for some rare needs (chatting with Schwab Bank, accessing some stateside website settings not available through apps) but I'm now considering trading it in for a tablet, or going with my android smartphone alone.

Has anyone else gotten rid of your laptop device and lived to be happy with the decision?

How did you go about wiping all of your data from the hard drive (specifically Windows 8.1) while still leaving the unit accessible and useable by the future owner?

My lodgings have always had one or more PC's available for use, and it's not hard to locate coffee shops and shared business spaces that offer the use of a computer.

Six months ago I wouldn't have imagined giving up 16GB of RAM for any reason, but I think the whole world is going increasingly mobile and ethereal.

Since I bought my first desktop PC in 1992, I've tended to think and act ahead of the curve in all things computer related.

So I'm also asking for predictions: are laptops in general going to disappear in favor of virtual reality devices implanted in our skulls?

If so, how are YOU positioning yourself (in Southeast Asia) to take advantage of new options in computers on the horizon?

An iPad can be a great replacement for a laptop depending on what you need to do with it. I have helped several people make that switch and they love it. Having said that, it is just not practical for some people. As time passes, tablet are able to do the vast majority of what a laptop can do, but that does not mean you want to do many of those tasks on a tablet. Some things are better accomplished with a laptop and some with a tablet.

Based on what you shared, I would be surprised if you could not make the switch quite easily. With the work I do, I am on my computer many hours a day, and a tablet 1. can't do some of the things I need to do and 2. can't do some of the tasks as efficiently. Because I am on my computer so much everyday, I opt for a 15" MacBook Pro, but if that changes in the future, it would be very hard to beat the current 13" MacBook Air's. They are as portable as a tablet and yet would allow me not to be limited by a tablet/touch only interface if I needed to do more specialized tasks.

As far as predictions go, for the average consumer, it is now possible to do all of your computing on a tablet and even supplement with cloud services and storage. Laptops won't be going away anytime soon, but more and more I think tablets are taking over the consumer market - and for good reason. Truthfully, if you could deal with the small screen, you could do all of your computing from your phone - and many do.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

How did you go about wiping all of your data from the hard drive (specifically Windows 8.1) while still leaving the unit accessible and useable by the future owner?

Answering my own question, I found a how-to video on YouTube

ejmom25 wrote:

An iPad can be a great replacement for a laptop depending on what you need to do with it. I have helped several people make that switch and they love it. Having said that, it is just not practical for some people. As time passes, tablet are able to do the vast majority of what a laptop can do, but that does not mean you want to do many of those tasks on a tablet. Some things are better accomplished with a laptop and some with a tablet.

Based on what you shared, I would be surprised if you could not make the switch quite easily. With the work I do, I am on my computer many hours a day, and a tablet 1. can't do some of the things I need to do and 2. can't do some of the tasks as efficiently. Because I am on my computer so much everyday, I opt for a 15" MacBook Pro, but if that changes in the future, it would be very hard to beat the current 13" MacBook Air's. They are as portable as a tablet and yet would allow me not to be limited by a tablet/touch only interface if I needed to do more specialized tasks.

As far as predictions go, for the average consumer, it is now possible to do all of your computing on a tablet and even supplement with cloud services and storage. Laptops won't be going away anytime soon, but more and more I think tablets are taking over the consumer market - and for good reason. Truthfully, if you could deal with the small screen, you could do all of your computing from your phone - and many do.

Thanks for the great reply!

I am a die-hard android guy (I make the sign of the cross whenever I see the word 'i-Phone' 🤣) but I think your advice probably translates well to a Chromebook environment (readers feel free to expand on options) since I use all Google smartphone apps now and they are all available online too.

I have every file backed up on a couple 256 GB SD cards, as well as in two cloud storage sites, so I can affirm that works well for me.

I'll likely get a new tablet-type device eventually, but I'm inclined to spend my electronics bucks on a new, top of the line android phone first, mostly to get the highest quality android smartphone camera currently available.

You don't have to give up a laptop to use a tablet.

It's not cheap but I've been using it for 5 years without any problems.

A Microsoft Surface Pro with Windows 10 (don't believe the Windows 10 dissatisfied users - it's better than Windows 8.1).

Andy Passenger wrote:

It's not cheap but I've been using it for 5 years without any problems.

A Microsoft Surface Pro with Windows 10 (don't believe the Windows 10 dissatisfied users - it's better than Windows 8.1).

That's definitely an option, Andy.

I've actively resisted against installing Windows 10 because it seems like a 'double whammy':

If I'm not mistaken, it's almost totally app driven, eliminating most on board software while also requiring automatic updates on everything (yes?)

Since virtually everything I use is Google, including the Chrome browser, I'm already trusting one International corporation with the security of my data and records of my activity (which I clear regularly).

So if I go to Windows 10, both Google and Microsoft need to be trusted with my app data and activity.

Tell me if I'm mistaken. If I'm wrong, the Surface might work for me.

Otherwise, I lean toward something like (maybe) the HP Chromebook x2 (detachable) if I don't simply get an android tablet without keyboard.

A physical keyboard isn't really that important to me anymore. Half of the time I'm using touch screen (also on my HP laptop) and the rest of the time I'm using speech to text.

I'm just trying to cut down on the weight and bulk of a type of device I rarely use anymore.

Andy Passenger wrote:

True, but the sort of things the OP mentioned won't require a laptop.

Andy Passenger wrote:

That's probably a very nice machines but the user decides what is required, not buy a high spec machine and decide what to do with it.
As for windows 10, it works fine but the forced updates means it's useless for me. I'm off to Kalimantan on Monday - Imaging me setting up all ready to conduct a presentation but have to postpone because the rubbish Windows is updating and I can't stop it.
That one thing alone makes Windows 10 useless, but it otherwise works.

Andy Passenger wrote:

I have a laptop sitting here, useless because of the Windows 10 issue. If I were in the OP's shoes, I could use a better end smartphone (I have a Samsung Note 9), but I might be tempted to go for an Android tab.
Unlike Apple's stuff, Android is cheaper but does more than a similarly priced ipad. For the OP, the lack of a SIM card in the ipad might well be a problem.
I suggest the top of the range Samsung Android tab because it has a nice big screen, but it's not too big, and it's light in weight so easy to carry.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

it offers an online interface for some rare needs (chatting with Schwab Bank, accessing some stateside website settings not available through apps) but I'm now considering trading it in for a tablet, or going with my android smartphone alone.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Has anyone else gotten rid of your laptop device and lived to be happy with the decision?

Absolutely, yes.
I'm using a cheap and nasty Windows 10 thing as a stopgap but I have to keep that off the internet so it can't do that idiotic update trick on me, but that and my old Windows tab (getting a bit long in the tooth) will be replaced with that nice Samsung. For me at least, that top end Samsung has the advantage of being able to connect (wired) to a projector so, as presentations are my main aim, that's the ideal machine for me.
Weight is a massive consideration when I'm on the go so laptops are out of the running, even the smaller ones.

TAB LINK

The DeX function allows a lot of flexibility, almost as much as Windows, but the unit is small and light enough to carry around without consulting hernia doctors at every stop,
Having a SIM card is a serious bonus and the keyboard option is worth considering if you type a lot.
I'll probably buy it so I can write reports and so on a lot easier, that and use a bluetooth mouse.
Accessories, even genuine ones, are far cheaper for Samsung that ipad, the keyboard being about half the price, as are the TV cables.
As these also work with my phone, that'll allow the Note 9 to act as a backup in the event of problems.

I won't be buying anything else windows until that update stupidity can be turned off unless I want to update the thing, not when they want to.

Now comes the bit about choosing your update times, I can't mess around like that - too busy and I never know when a phone call will come with instructions to be somewhere. If I'm not working, I'm probably travelling or asleep.
No way would I buy Windows 10 anything.

Fred wrote:
Andy Passenger wrote:

Andy Passenger wrote:

That's probably a very nice machines but the user decides what is required, not buy a high spec machine and decide what to do with it.
As for windows 10, it works fine but the forced updates means it's useless for me. I'm off to Kalimantan on Monday - Imaging me setting up all ready to conduct a presentation but have to postpone because the rubbish Windows is updating and I can't stop it.
That one thing alone makes Windows 10 useless, but it otherwise works.

Andy Passenger wrote:

I have a laptop sitting here, useless because of the Windows 10 issue. If I were in the OP's shoes, I could use a better end smartphone (I have a Samsung Note 9), but I might be tempted to go for an Android tab.
Unlike Apple's stuff, Android is cheaper but does more than a similarly priced ipad. For the OP, the lack of a SIM card in the ipad might well be a problem.
I suggest the top of the range Samsung Android tab because it has a nice big screen, but it's not too big, and it's light in weight so easy to carry.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

it offers an online interface for some rare needs (chatting with Schwab Bank, accessing some stateside website settings not available through apps) but I'm now considering trading it in for a tablet, or going with my android smartphone alone.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Absolutely, yes.
I'm using a cheap and nasty Windows 10 thing as a stopgap but I have to keep that off the internet so it can't do that idiotic update trick on me, but that and my old Windows tab (getting a bit long in the tooth) will be replaced with that nice Samsung. For me at least, that top end Samsung has the advantage of being able to connect (wired) to a projector so, as presentations are my main aim, that's the ideal machine for me.
Weight is a massive consideration when I'm on the go so laptops are out of the running, even the smaller ones.

Is that an HDMI connection, Fred?

I have that on my laptop and wouldn't really miss it most of the time.

My laptop also has an ethernet port, and I might miss that, but so infrequently...

I wish there were equal-quality alternatives to the Samsung experience in android.

They have started to really tick me off by changing defaults away from android apps when they update.

Specifically, I was using Google Contacts and Google Messages as defaults and then one day I couldn't do that anymore.

I tried a fix, but it seems their latest update 'unfixed' me.

The inability to delete or override a Samsung app is really frustrating for me.

I won't even get into the risks involved with Huawei...

But I agree: The Note 9 is likely the way I'll go with a phone.  Maybe stop there and never get a tablet.

I too find that mandatory auto-update feature of Windows 10 to be a horrible advancement in the Windows experience.

Now I need to write my "for sale" ad...

😁

Fred wrote:

TAB LINK

The DeX function allows a lot of flexibility, almost as much as Windows, but the unit is small and light enough to carry around without consulting hernia doctors at every stop,
Having a SIM card is a serious bonus and the keyboard option is worth considering if you type a lot.
I'll probably buy it so I can write reports and so on a lot easier, that and use a bluetooth mouse.
Accessories, even genuine ones, are far cheaper for Samsung that ipad, the keyboard being about half the price, as are the TV cables.
As these also work with my phone, that'll allow the Note 9 to act as a backup in the event of problems.

I won't be buying anything else windows until that update stupidity can be turned off unless I want to update the thing, not when they want to.

Now comes the bit about choosing your update times, I can't mess around like that - too busy and I never know when a phone call will come with instructions to be somewhere. If I'm not working, I'm probably travelling or asleep.
No way would I buy Windows 10 anything.

Thanks. You were posting at the same time as me. You already answered the question I asked

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Is that an HDMI connection, Fred?
😁

Both HDMI and RGB are easily available. I have the latter and will buy the former this weekend. The lead to a HDMI male is easy, but I want the female as many of my venues have leads fixed in so that's easier for me.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

My laptop also has an ethernet port, and I might miss that, but so infrequently...

I've seen type C to ethernet but never tried it - bit old hat

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I wish there were equal-quality alternatives to the Samsung experience in android.
They have started to really tick me off by changing defaults away from android apps when they update.
Specifically, I was using Google Contacts and Google Messages as defaults and then one day I couldn't do that anymore.

First I've heard of that - never had it myself so I can't comment

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

The inability to delete or override a Samsung app is really frustrating for me.

Some apps can't be deleted but you can disable them. I've had minor issues but not enough to put me off

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

But I agree: The Note 9 is likely the way I'll go with a phone.  Maybe stop there and never get a tablet.

The Note 9 is great but I need more functionality so I must have a tab when on the go. However, it the job is presentations that don't need any serious editing, I can work on the phone.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I too find that mandatory auto-update feature of Windows 10 to be a horrible advancement in the Windows experience.

Deal killer for me - No way can I risk getting to a job and it not working.

After reading Fred's "Windows 10 demonization thread", I paid attention to how long the last big Windows 10 update took (I was just too lazy to post the result until now).

The updates will be downloaded in the background until they are complete. After that you will be asked if the update should be done now or later.

Duration of the last big update (Release 1809):
1) Everything runs in the background and you can work normally.
a) System Check: 7 minutes
b) Download:  20 minutes
c) Installation: 35 minutes

Then the prompt to restart (can also be made later).

2) Period where you can't work:
a) Restart and installation: 10 minutes

So I couldn't work for only 10 minutes while the whole operating system was updated (and my 5 years old MS Surface Pro 3 with 4GB RAM is not a rocket  :)  ).

I have been working with computers since the mid 80's and have been through all versions and updates since the first MS-DOS.

And I can tell you that Windows 10 is the best MS Windows ever.

I also wasn't happy when Microsoft completely redesigned MS Office. But I didn't say it was bullshit, but I learned how it works now.

It can't always stay the same, because stagnacy means regression.

But with your disturbed relationship to Windows 10 you should perhaps completely do without MS Windows and switch to macOS, Linux or Android.  :)

The update that finished me was 3 hours - I scrapped it after that idiotic rubbish stopped me writing a report that was needed that morning.

Never again - I won't give it chance

Andy Passenger wrote:

But with your disturbed relationship to Windows 10 you should perhaps completely do without MS Windows and switch to macOS, Linux or Android.  :)

MAC, are you joking?

I'm staying with W8.1 until my desktop dies, then it's Android.

Andy Passenger wrote:

After reading Fred's "Windows 10 demonization thread

It's easy to demonise what was created by the Anti-Christ

Andy Passenger wrote:

I have been working with computers since the mid 80's and have been through all versions and updates since the first MS-DOS.

....and there's the moneyshot
Windows 10 is fine for computer savvy people with loads of background knowledge but us poor users find it a right old pain in the posterior.
The problem with 10 is simple, it was designed for 10, not for the people that have to use it.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Fortunately, it's always the others who spy.

Once more a sad attempt to get rid of an annoying Chinese competitor (already tried at ZTE).

But luckily Huawei is not so easy to get down. Huawei is the leader in 5G technology with almost 2 years lead.

I always have to laugh when Americans accuse others of espionage. Just a reminder, the German Federal Chancellor was bugged by the NSA.  Every country is spying. Including the USA. You have to come to terms with that.

OK
Ocean, i also have an HP Envy, but the 14", as the larger one would not fit in my backpack that I only use for travelling.
I like your idea. You sound like you have it well in hand and I think the Note 9 is the way I'd go also.
I had a Note 2 and loved it. I still have a Samsung tablet Note 12" which I use for movies and back up navigation program.

I don't know how often you get to the US, but best place to buy any Samsung in the international version is on Amazon.

Probably moot now, since you won't need it, but it was Windows 8 that was the POS.
Windows 10 is pretty good and I like it as it acts like Windows 7 and XP.

Fred wrote:

The problem with 10 is simple, it was designed for 10, not for the people that have to use it.

In my opinion, this is more true for earlier versions.

You would have to ask a newbie with no experience of earlier versions of Windows.

But everything is also a matter of opinion.

Mac users swear by their OS precisely because they can concentrate exclusively on working without worrying about the computer software, hardware or storage location.

I could never live without a file manager like Windows Explorer.  :)

File management on Android isn't as easy as it is on windows but it's no problem when you get used to it.
You can easily set up shortcuts and folders for ease of access.
Top end tabs and phones will connect to projectors or screens via cable as well as wireless.
I'm noticing more and more retail outlets using Android tabs instead of tills. These things are getting powerful but are still reasonably priced and work well.
For my needs, the hardest work being powerpoint, Android plays the game easily well enough.
As for communication and navigation, windows doesn't even come close.

I can't understand Mac stuff.
As I'm looking at tabs at the moment, I walked onto several Apple stores to see what they had - several because sales people vary from good to rubbish.

ipads of similar price to top notch Samsungs didn't get near the specifications, accessories were far more expensive, and no third party software allowed.

They have no hope in my book as they seem to be all name and no balls.

Andy Passenger wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Fortunately, it's always the others who spy.

Once more a sad attempt to get rid of an annoying Chinese competitor (already tried at ZTE).

But luckily Huawei is not so easy to get down. Huawei is the leader in 5G technology with almost 2 years lead.

I always have to laugh when Americans accuse others of espionage. Just a reminder, the German Federal Chancellor was bugged by the NSA.  Every country is spying. Including the USA. You have to come to terms with that.

Sorry Andy.

Bad analogy.

I won't laugh at you, though...

Of course I wouldn't buy a phone from my own NSA, or the NSA of any other country.

I would buy from a company not affiliated with a government.

Huawei is so deeply connected to the Chinese government that it is foolish to purchase a phone from them and not assume you are giving their government access to all of your personal information.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Sorry Andy.

Bad analogy.

Of course I wouldn't buy a phone from my own NSA, or the NSA of any other country.

Huawei is so deeply connected to the Chinese government that it is foolish to purchase a phone from them and not assume you are giving their government access to all of your personal information.

With all due respect, but that's a little naive.

Every electronic device has microchips and all these chips can have prepared espionage accesses.
I remember that a few years ago there were warnings about Cisco routers exactly because of this issue. Should we now avoid all Cisco routers?

Or have you ever heard about Echelon? Or Stuxnet?

As long as there are devices that have foreign microchips built in, there is the danger of being spied on by other countries.
And do you really think that not a single American microchip and not a single American software have no backdoors installed?

The secret services have billion dollar budget for such things.

I remember the PgP story of the early 90's when the US government equated encryption software with weapons and prevented export.
Government have in the past also successfully enforced intelligence service-mandated weak encryption techniques that later became enormous security holes (see SSLv2 which was introduced in 1995 and still serves hackers to access servers today).
And I also remember the threats of the US government to Apple when Apple denied the secret service access to an iPhone back door.
And currently, the government wants back doors for the rlatively secure end-to-end encryption of WathsApp and Facebook.

The secret services are afraid that they can no longer systematically monitor the world.

And to get back to Huawei, the real reason for the problem is that Huawei is using an encryption system that makes it impossible for the NSA to intercept these communications. Many governments and intelligence agencies in the non-Western world have begun to equip themselves exclusively with Huawei devices to ensure the confidentiality of their communications.

And you are afraid of Huawei!  :lol:

If you are really afraid of spying, you should only put the most necessary data on the Internet, use a secure email service and turn off the GPS in your smartphone (although governments can locate phones without GPS).

Andy Passenger wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Sorry Andy.

Bad analogy.

Every electronic device has microchips and all these chips can have prepared espionage accesses.
I remember that a few years ago there were warnings about Cisco routers exactly because of this issue. Should we now avoid all Cisco routers?

As long as there are devices that have foreign microchips built in, there is the danger of being spied on by other countries.
And do you really think that not a single American microchip and not a single American software have no backdoors installed?

I remember the PgP story of the early 90's when the US government equated encryption software with weapons and prevented export.
Government have in the past also successfully enforced intelligence service-mandated weak encryption techniques that later became enormous security holes (see SSLv2 which was introduced in 1995 and still serves hackers to access servers today).
And I also remember the threats of the US government to Apple when Apple denied the secret service access to an iPhone back door.
And currently, the government wants back doors for the rlatively secure end-to-end encryption of WathsApp and Facebook.

The secret services are afraid that they can no longer systematically monitor the world.

And to get back to Huawei, the real reason for the problem is that Huawei is using an encryption system that makes it impossible for the NSA to intercept these communications. Many governments and intelligence agencies in the non-Western world have begun to equip themselves exclusively with Huawei devices to ensure the confidentiality of their communications.

If you are really afraid of spying, you should only put the most necessary data on the Internet, use a secure email service and turn off the GPS in your smartphone (although governments can locate phones without GPS).

Kudos on an epic rant!

:thanks:

However, you still missed my point about my personal preference as it relates to my OP:

Whenever possible, I will avoid a COMPANY (not technology) if I have reason to question their intentions.

Now, if you mean to tell me I should distrust all tech companies equally, I'd say you are much more a Conspiracy Theorist than me.

However, I'm glad for you that you were able to process all that paranoia...

:lol:

P.S.: Does Huawei pay you in VND, CHF or CNY?

It's not paranoia when they really are out to get you.
They're all collecting data, the only question being what they do with it.

Fred wrote:

It's not paranoia when they really are out to get you.
They're all collecting data, the only question being what they do with it.

Or, who are their silent partners...?

in-q-tel, a CIA FUNDED company, created pokemon go.
That app runs a live camera and microphone feed then overlays pokemon.

Not paranoid

However, since it's impossible to keep your data under your hat if you use tech, forget it.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Andy Passenger wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Sorry Andy.

Bad analogy.

Kudos on an epic rant!

:thanks:

However, you still missed my point about my personal preference as it relates to my OP:

Whenever possible, I will avoid a COMPANY (not technology) if I have reason to question their intentions.

Now, if you mean to tell me I should distrust all tech companies equally, I'd say you are much more a Conspiracy Theorist than me.

However, I'm glad for you that you were able to process all that paranoia...

:lol:

P.S.: Does Huawei pay you in VND, CHF or CNY?

In contrast to you and others, I only post what I have experienced myself or what I know from well-founded professional articles.

But that won't impress the know-it-alls either, because today it's easy to dismiss what you don't want to hear as fake-news or lie press.

Fred wrote:

I can't understand Mac stuff.

ipads of similar price to top notch Samsungs didn't get near the specifications, accessories were far more expensive, and no third party software allowed.

The difference is the build quality.  I switched to an iMac desktop after failure of several HP and other laptops.  Some lasted barely a year.  The problem with an iMac in Vietnam is taking it to be repaired as it is pretty tough to carry on a motorbike.  Luckily, my problem turned out to be not the machine but the voltage at my apartment.   The same is true of iPads vs other tablets although Samsung may be the equal of Apple.  The problem with Samsung is that they load the tablet or phone up with software that you don't need and can't delete.  Apple does the same but to a lesser extent.

There is plenty to dislike about Apple too, particularly price, but in a cost per month of use comparison I think they will do equal or better than generic Windows laptops.  The same probably can be said about the iPad vs. generic Android tablets.

With respect to the OP question:  What about printing?  I know there are apps that let you print from a tablet via WI-fi but how well do they work?

THIGV wrote:

With respect to the OP question:  What about printing?  I know there are apps that let you print from a tablet via WI-fi but how well do they work?

On android phones (viewing in Chrome browser) I click 'print', then 'save as PDF' to Google Drive. Or I create a PDF in Google Docs.

I haven't printed anything here yet, but while I was traveling in the states, I'd get on a PC and save to a thumb drive or SD card, then take that into Kinkos.

From what I've seen in Hanoi and Danang, I should be able to find a place that has a PC and a printer for quick jobs.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I haven't printed anything here yet, but while I was traveling in the states, I'd get on a PC and save to a thumb drive or SD card, then take that into Kinkos. ......From what I've seen in Hanoi and Danang, I should be able to find a place that has a PC and a printer for quick jobs.

Almost every copy shop has PC's attached to printers but how do you get your file from a tablet to the thumb drive?  I suppose you could save it to Google docs like you said, then pull it down on the computer in the print shop.  However if the information is at all sensitive, do you really want to be doing that in a public setting?  Remember, the "cloud" is just another word for someone else's hard drive.

As an alternative to a tablet, have you looked at either a MacBook Air or a Microsoft Surface which is even lighter?  Both have USB ports but are still very light.  The Air is a little under 3 pounds and is a full laptop.  The Surface is technically a tablet with touch screen but I believe it has an attachable keyboard and comes in under 2 pounds.

OTG

It's a tiny, easy to find adaptor that lets you pop any standard thumb drive into a phone or tab.
Copy the file and off you go.
Apple probably do one as well.

Some printers come with wireless print now, and I'm told there are now apps that allow printing via cable connects but I've never tried one.

THIGV wrote:

[
The difference is the build quality.  I switched to an iMac desktop after failure of several HP and other laptops.  Some lasted barely a year.

A lot of Windows PC are pretty terrible but Macs are built to their specs in their factories, thus they don't have the issues a lot of Windows machines, especially the cheap ones, have.
However, that quality comparison doesn't work between Apple and Samsung, both being free from the issues PCs have.

Forgot to mention.
An OTG allows a keyboard, mouse, and lots of other standard USB devices to be used on high spec Samsungs.
I specifically mention those products because I use them so I'm aware they'll do it.

THIGV wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I haven't printed anything here yet, but while I was traveling in the states, I'd get on a PC and save to a thumb drive or SD card, then take that into Kinkos. ......From what I've seen in Hanoi and Danang, I should be able to find a place that has a PC and a printer for quick jobs.

Almost every copy shop has PC's attached to printers but how do you get your file from a tablet to the thumb drive?  I suppose you could save it to Google docs like you said, then pull it down on the computer in the print shop.  However if the information is at all sensitive, do you really want to be doing that in a public setting?  Remember, the "cloud" is just another word for someone else's hard drive.

As an alternative to a tablet, have you looked at either a MacBook Air or a Microsoft Surface which is even lighter?  Both have USB ports but are still very light.  The Air is a little under 3 pounds and is a full laptop.  The Surface is technically a tablet with touch screen but I believe it has an attachable keyboard and comes in under 2 pounds.

Fred has enlightened me with his reply to this.

Although it's a bit of a pain to accomplish, I currently have a MicroSD card in my phone as well. I can pull that out and put it into an SD adapter and then pull the file from that in the shop.

I also have a spare SD card and thumb drive. I can put a file on one of those from a computer in a hotel, bring it to the shop and go from there.

?

I used a 10.1 inch Google tablet (Pixel C) with a detachable keyboard and bluetooth mouse for a year before the screen failed and was extremely with it.  It synced with my Android phone in real-time and I found it much more convenient than a laptop.  I am now using a piece of shit Asus laptop that I got from FPT store and I hate it!  Heavy, bulky, slow as hell compared to the tablet and battery life sucks (I have to bring my charger out with me).  Unless you do heavy graphics, gaming or have specific programs that do not have an app equivalent then you should be fine.  When I go back to the States I plan to buy another tablet.

As for wiping your drive clean, it is easily done but you would be better served looking up technical sites for their walkthroughs.

yamcha wrote:

I used a 10.1 inch Google tablet (Pixel C) with a detachable keyboard and bluetooth mouse for a year before the screen failed and was extremely with it.

I think you just illustrated my point about build quality with Apple vs others.  Of course iPads fail, but I never heard of one failing after only one year.  One that I brought to Vietnam after it was at least a year old, had speaker failure but still worked with headphones.  This was at least three years in, probably more but I didn't record anything as it was well past warranty.  A friend of mine from AU used an iPad completely in place of a laptop for the entire time he was in Vietnam, about 5 years.  Compared to using a PC or Mac, he could read email and do web browsing but wasn't really able to download instructional materials like worksheets from ESL sites that I could.  I suppose he could have but it was not nearly as convenient.

Yes, THIGV, you are right. I am still using an almost 8 year old iPad 2 and have never had any hardware issues. It's not just about build quality. People view Apple as more expensive, when in reality, you are simply getting what you pay for, and I am not talking about software here. Historically, if you spec out the devices to have the same hardware(processor, screen, hard drive (type,speed,etc),ram, and other I/O) the cost will be almost identical between a Mac and a PC. Apple just does not make a bargin basement machine, which you are welcomed to hate them for.

I agree THIGV, there is much I am unhappy with Apple about, but when it comes to TCO on their machines, they are hard to beat. One caveat to that, I am mostly referring to computers and tablets as that is where my experience and research has been. I am not referring to phones.

THIGV wrote:

I think you just illustrated my point about build quality with Apple vs others.

Well, I'm not really one of those Apple sucks Android rules kind of guy but to be fair, I was very rough on my tablet.  I think both sides are fine for my needs even though I've never owned any apple products beside the earbuds.

The point I was trying to make is that phone operating systems are so good now and can easily replace a laptop for the average user no problem.  The only thing that was lacking was storage space since I torrent a lot of movies.

after reading this thread and considering points raised, I'm going to take another look at an ipad.

It needs to:
Run powerpoints without messing about
Accept a remote control for the above
Run a good internet browser with easy translate
Run word
It must connect to HDMI and RGB
It must be accept a bluetooth mouse and keyboard

Fred wrote:

after reading this thread and considering points raised, I'm going to take another look at an ipad.

It needs to:
Run powerpoints without messing about
Accept a remote control for the above
Run a good internet browser with easy translate
Run word
It must connect to HDMI and RGB
It must be accept a bluetooth mouse and keyboard

As I stated in an above post, I used a tablet in Vietnam for about a year and for a few months before that when I was still in America.  I got it with a detachable keyboard and bluetooth mouse.  I would advise that you get one of those keyboards that can charge with the tablet instead of separately.  You can connect your tablet to HDMI via an adapter since the tablet itself will be too thin to support and HDMI or USB port.

As for running MS Office, you can download free light versions of all of those in the Apple/Google store or you can use Google Sheets.