SIM card registration

Tomorrow I'll have to take my wife to a cell phone store to register her SIM card.

For those who did not notice this, all owners of a SIM card that was activated before April 24, 2017 must go to the phone providers store no later than April 24, 2018 and re-register the SIM card (with a profile picture), otherwise the SIM card will be blocked after 15 days.

http://vietnamnews.vn/society/426021/no … rvice.html

It is also advisable to register SIM cards that have not been registered (or have been registered under a unknown name) with your own name.
For example, my first Vietnamese SIM card (Viettel) I bought in the past officially for 250'000 Dong at the airport in HCMC was not registered with my name (you can check this by texting TTTB to the number 1414).

Please note that its for prepaid sim cards, not pay by the month.

Huge scrum of people at Viettel,  no queues.  Gave up.

I popped into the Mobiphone customer service office in downtown Vung Tau City yesterday afternoon (Sunday), partially filled in and signed a brief form, stood in line for maybe 5 minutes, then gave the form and my passport to the staff. She filled in the rest using the info they already had in their database, then took a photo of me using a cell phone.

That was it.

Mine was working fine and has been for a few months now, however, I now get an 'invalid sim' message. I presume that will just be rectified by getting a new sim?

1312j wrote:

Mine was working fine and has been for a few months now, however, I now get an 'invalid sim' message. I presume that will just be rectified by getting a new sim?

Yes, probably.
I recommend going to a phone shop of your SIM card provider. They can advise you.
Probably you get a new SIM card with a new phone number.

PS:
Mobifone and Vinaphone have big shops near the Saigon Post Office.

I bought my SIM at a Viettel office in July2017 with passport, but heard that you still had to reregister.
So went into a Viettel office today to ask about it.First he said no need.Asked him whether he was sure:He then checked, and reregistered my phone by taking a photo of me and passport with a smartphone.
So still not sure sure whether that was really necessary or not.

I've had my mobile phone number for years...I've never 'registered'
it.  If it dies soon...not a problem.  A phone is the least of my concerns.  When I went to Tam Ky back in August, I thought about changing my number.  I went to a Viettel office and they wanted me to register...I told them they were 'crazy'...and walked out.  My mobile phone is still active today.  I only use for short text messages and map.

Still haven't registered but can't top up credit so u have to eventually

Just bought another 200,000 for mobile phone time...still 'tick'n'.

The deadline has been extended for another month.

Now that is a shame...I was hoping for less individuals riding motorbikes and autos without their mobile device to chat.

Hey, you can download "My Viettel" app on your phone and update your information (ID, photos, sign a service contract...) on it. Or you can finish your registration on https://vietteltelecom.vn/dang-nhap. I'm sorry that they don't have English version. :v
And customer service email: [email protected]

P/s: If you need more help, I can show you after work. Do you have skype or zalo?

Sorry, but Viettel is not for me.  tried to obtain one in Tam Ky...my info is personal...I don't give it out freely; I really don't need a phone, so registering means nothing to me.  If it dies on me...I can only say I'd be better off without a phone.  Thanks anyway.

Anthony64 wrote:

...my info is personal...I don't give it out freely;

The registration of SIM cards serves the fight against crime and terrorism.

I hope that this will happen soon in all countries and that all unregistered SIM cards will be switched off soon.

Anthony64 wrote:

My mobile phone is still active today.

" Viettel said that their only strategy for encouraging customers to comply with the regulation was providing sufficient information. Though the regulation requires companies to start the clock towards cutting off services on April 24, Viettel has not indicated when it will begin ending service for noncompliant customers, leaving the door open to extensions after April 24.

Meanwhile, other mobile carriers, Vinaphone and Mobifone, have not provided any further information on the issue."

Does Viettel have an office near Phuong 1 Vung Tau ?

Safepeter wrote:

Does Viettel have an office near Phuong 1 Vung Tau ?

Corner of Le Hong Phong and Truong Cong Dinh streets.

Anthony64 wrote:

Sorry, but Viettel is not for me.  tried to obtain one in Tam Ky...my info is personal...I don't give it out freely; I really don't need a phone, so registering means nothing to me.  If it dies on me...I can only say I'd be better off without a phone.  Thanks anyway.

The government has the same info for your visa, its not like they dont have all your details already.

I'm sorry but Decree 49 applied for all mobile subscriptions. So the same w Viettel, Vinaphone/Mobilephone clients also have to registration subject to the newest information.
My vendor's Vinaphone, I received their requirement for providing ID, photo from 27/04

colinoscapee@  Yes, I am well aware of  Immigrations and the local police are aware of my 'personal information'.   I don't have a 'need' for the phone service companies to have it as well.  It is bad enough that all transmissions today including these are monitored due to the acts of few.  Again, I have no 'real' need for a mobile device.  Will not be a loss for me.  I am also aware that nothing is safe from 'hackers'...so the crime will continue regardless of 'regulations'.  Enjoy your little toys.

For someone who doesnt care, you sure do post a lot about it.

Thanks Colinoscapee

Andy Passenger wrote:
Anthony64 wrote:

...my info is personal...I don't give it out freely;

The registration of SIM cards serves the fight against crime and terrorism.

I hope that this will happen soon in all countries and that all unregistered SIM cards will be switched off soon.

This has happened in Indonesia as well, all unregistered SIM cards were cut off a few months ago.

Hi MasterofDisaster,

We likewise had to face the Viettel scrum, we were silly to go Fri afternoon.
I suggest you make the effort (maybe Tues morn). Nothing worth being faced with an inoperative phone in Vietnam.

Pete T

Hello everyone,

Please note that we had a spammer on this thread, so we had to put aside a couple of posts. Also, some information provided were not legal.

Sorry about this,
Bhavna

Aaaah Colin ya beat me too it - it was extended because the sheer volumn of people registering is really high.  all the nay sayers that don't want to register will soon be without  a phone.......mine was registered, my number is permanent,  good for life now........cheers