Sending and receiving packages in Oman

Hello,

As an expat, there are inevitably certain items you might want or need from back home, and around the holiday period, many people like to send gift packages.

How easy is it to send and receive packages in Oman?

Is the public postal system efficient?

Do people tend to prefer using private shipping services? Which ones?

How do the costs of the private shipping services compare?

How long does it take generally to receive packages from abroad in Oman?

Do you have to pay taxes on items received by mail from abroad?

Are packages delivered right to your doorstep, or do you usually have to go collect them somewhere?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

hello there,
door to door services are available here in oman,
will find agents and will post regarding charges,
but to what country u r looking to deliver?

hello there,
door to door services are available here in oman,
will find agents and will post regarding charges,
but to what country u r looking to deliver?

Thanks Priscilla , a very good question indeed.

Yes there is door to door mail service.

Yes the Omani postal system is highly efficient.

Yes public and state parcel transportation is much less expensive than private cos. , ex. DHL asks a minimum of 25 USD for any parcel anywhere, but one can follow up the track and time all the way until parcel has been received.

No there isn't a tax pay in Oman BUT beware there might be a hi tax on the item sent from Oman i.e at the country of the receiver depending on the item kind and value.

I have no experience in receiving personal post; however, ordering online items to be delivered here in Oman and even to the far South in Salalah is more than possible through Desertcart Oman. I have used it repeatedly to get anything from the best hair Color products to books and even swimwear which I received this week.
I'm very happy to access to a company like Amazon here in Oman.

Sorry, but I found the postal system very inefficient - I was waiting for two parcels from France, I had the tracking number and could see in the system they were received at the airport in Muscat - nevertheless it took the central postal office next to the airport 10 days to find them - only because I was insisting the parcels arrived they were checking for it. The staff was very reluctant to do their job. The other day I had to send an important letter from the same office and i gave the employee the money - he insisted he will later put the stamp on it. How surprised i was to find the same letter 5 days later in my mailbox with a sticker „postage required“. He didn't put any stamp on it. When I complained he ran away and his colleague promised to send it now - but to late! Parcels received have to go through customs and take 2-3 weeks from Europe (daily flights).
Receiving via aramex is save and fast but expensive. Customs is changed even for papers! Receiving other goods is charged on a fictional value unless accompanied by an invoice. Home delivery with DHL only (after complaints and still you have to insist).