Student visa

Hello all,

I have applied for studying chinese at Jiao Tong university, the semester starts at the end of February 2019. However I would like to come to Shanghai earlier, the best would be 2-4 weeks before the school starts. Do you have any idea when the University would allow me to come? Do you have experience with coming earlier before studying?
Other option would be to come as tourist in the end of December for 2-3 weeks on tourist visa and than to come back as student one month later but I am little bit worried to impact the student visa with this tourist visit... Since I have red many complaints about getting visa I am getting a little bit nervous...

I will be happy for any tips or your experience.

Thanks.
Iva

You better get the student visa. There will be plenty of time for you to explore the city while you are studying here.
PM if you would like to meet a local friend. :D

When you can arrive in China is determined by the dates on your visa. That in turn, was determined by the school when they submitted your application to the government. Once that has been finalized, there is nothing else that you can do aside from getting a new visa.

You can arrive at those dates and leave before the dates on the visa expires. In between those dates is the period of time where you will attend your education. What happens outside of those dates are up to you. Chances are that the school might be able to provide you some assistance in that are. You need to ask them.

Thank you for replies. Yep, I am aware that I need to come and leave between dates which will be on visa, I would not risk any problems with visa. I was more wondering how long before the school starts the university/school allow in general to come to the country, if it is 2 weeks, 1 week, 3 days.... It is because in my country if I quit my job I need to let them know 2 month in advance, so I need to plan a little bit in advance :D

normally, you can register when the semester begins, when staff of the university is on duty.

best way is contacting  with the school. but from my options.

btw, it's transitional Chinese festival in Feb, and most of the university staff are spending their holidays then.

wish you luck.

Rike