US Citizen Bank Account Morocco

Hi, I am wondering if it is possible for me as a US citizen to open a bank account in Morocco. Am I able to do this without proof of a Moroccan residence?

Yes is non morroccan account pay any currency but dirhams.

Yes but you need a rental contract agreement

for a starter, why do you need a bank account?  Are you planning on visiting or live there?  If you are visiting, I recommend you use your credit card for purchases and your US bank atm card for cash withdrawal.  You'll have the best exchange rates.
If you are moving there, I suggest you open a converter bank account.  You'll be able to wire USD and you'll have records of USD deposit.  If you need to transfer money back to the US you'll have no issues transferring money.

Thanks for the tips. It all worked out, but this is good info to have.

by the way same procedures for all foreigners.. US or Madagascar it don't matter

Non residents can only open a convertible account. The passport is the only document that is needed.

I've been reading usa tax codes which all say you must declare all foreign bank accounts and pay taxes on that money. 
Anyone have ant experience with that?

What's a "convertible account"?

If its money you earned overseas then, yes, you have to pay taxes in it.  But if it's your own money transferred from the states then no.

So what's the best way to avoid hefty wire transfers but still pay my rent here in DH? 
I'm retired so there isn't that much to transfer and I need to conserve every penny.  Plus that...I'm cheap.

My Moroccan bank, BMCE, sent me a W-9 form to fill and the bank submitted to the US authorities.  I don't have to pay taxes because the money I transferred was already taxed.

ATM withdrawal is your best bet.  You'll get the best exchange rate.  My bank in the US is a credit union instead of big bank, so they reimburse me for foreign ATM fees.
When I am in Morocco, I use my credit card where accepted, the best rate if you charge in MAD.  and I use ATM to get cash, the second best exchange rate.

Ramko61, you may have mentioned this before. Are you using Visa Debit or credit card from your credit union?

Thanks,

Yahya,
I use my credit union visa debit for my atm withdrawals. I use my fidelity cc for cc charges. For the atm, my credit union refunds my atm fees. Fidelity charges me 1% for foreign charges but I get 2% back on all purchases
Hopefully this helps and answer your question