Q's: Bank? Monthly Wire Transfers from the US? Documents required?

Hello,
I have posted in several places at the kind recommendations of members of this community.  So I'll try to be specific and not bore everyone to pieces:

I will be arriving in Morocco - freighter - approximately 5 October. (See new member post if interested in details)

As I am desirous of making Essaouira my home, I seek the advice and suggestions of those who certainly know better than I as to the following:

- Bank recommendation
- Documents to be sure to have with me
     Personal
     From my US Bank - which is a credit union
- Specific requirements for US citizens
- Setting up communication between US and local bank to transfer funds
- Tips and advice in general - finance, culture, cost of living

My goal is to be prepared as possible and be cooperative with in country and international banking laws and to be a pleasant person with whom to conduct business.

I am not interested in "doing like it's done in the states".  It is not my mind set.

Thank you very much in advance for your consideration and time. 
emmyht

First, you should worry about the way you'll have a resident card. Are you considering creating a company in Morocco, will you have an employee position or do you have any other income source ?

Second, before yu have a resident card (or receipt of your request for it), you can only have a "convertible"bank account in Morocco. This kind of account can only receive foreign currencies (such as USD for example) and automatically convert them into MAD. Any amount will be enough to open it (20USD for example) and yuo just need to have your passport and a lease contract (to proove yuo address in Morocco). When opening it, you will be given the account referrences with the SWIFT code of the bank. If not, don't hesitate asking. This will be sufficient to set wire transfer from you USD bank. As far as the bank choice is concerned, I could advise you SGMB (subsidiary of the french Societe Generale) or the BMCE that have the biggest cash withdrawal machines network in the country. But you may also prefer some moroccan banks such as AttijariWafaBank or Banque Populaire that are the biggest banks in Morocco. Be aware that the banking services ma not be as developped as in the US ;)

You need to know that for international operations, your US bank must have a local correspondant that will be in charge of the transfer execution to your Moroccan Bank. You may ask in the US who is their local correspondant. The transfer might be faster. ;) Consider also that the moroccan currency is not fully convertible and that there is a change control policy that also slows down a bit the payment and transfer operations...

As far a s the cost of living is concerned, it mostly depends on your adaptation to the moroccan way of life and what you may want to keep from america in your everyday life... Based on a "standard" life and with a quite correct comfort, you may need a 10,000 to 20,000 MAD monthly budget for a single, depending on your way of life...

The moroccan culture is something to be rather discovered than told as word may not have the same reality here than in the US or in a western environment...

Thank you for your reply.  You have given me very useful banking information for me to follow up with my bank immediately.  What do I do if my bank doesn't have a "local correspondent"?  I'm not sure I understand what that is.  What is a SWIFT number?  Is that like a "Routing Number"?  I truly appreciate becoming knowledgeable about all this.   I was telling the truth when I stated I was completely ignorant.  I do understand about the convertable part of your explanation.  My income compels me to live much much more modestly than 20,000 dirham per month.

In addition, your comments and questions about what kind of life I want to lead are thought provoking and important.

I do not seek to carry my American life with me across the seas.  It is cumbersome and expensive.  I do not believe the "american way" is the best way or the only way.  And I don't think it would be a good start to become aquainted with my neighbors!  I observe with the advent of technology we (the US) have lost our way in sociabilty,  empathy, respect for others and kindness.  Perhaps I see it more that way because of where I live.  Perhaps it is because I grew up without all the technology and am just being a stick in the mud.

I have a steep learning curve ahead of me.  I am willing and am interested in learning and adapting myself to the culture and way of life around me.  I am guest in Morocco.  It is my responsibility to (so I believe) for me to adjust - not the other way around.  I want to shop locally, buy local products and produce.  My personal needs are not too complex (I don't think).  I will need to rent a place to live.  I could use a recommendation for an inexpensive hotel while I look for something.  I want to proceed with prudence.  I prefer a small house instead of a flat.  But a simple house - 2 bedrooms and a place to do my art and have my books.  I don't need to be in the center of town.

I am not starting a company, I am not employeed by anyone or any company.  It's just me-nothing special.  My luxury will be keeping myself in art supplies - paper, canvas, acrylics, watercolours, etc. 

But with everything I state, perhaps I am not thinking reasonable.  I realize I have a lot to learn and it won't happen all at once and I will certainly make gaffs.  I may be able to gather a lot of information ahead of time but it will be NOTHING compared to actually arriving and "doing", better put - trying to do.  My starting point is having regard and respect for the culture, people and environment which surrounds me.

I love it that you describe that "the Moroccan way of life is something to be discovered".  That is so appealing to me and puts it in the perspective I desire -  discover.  That is it exactly.  This is not going to be an experience where I plop myself down and look around saying "well well, here I am now... all settled!"  This move is drop kicking me out of my "comfort zone" already.  I expect to be completely overwhelmed as I see the coast and wonder in shock and panic "What HAVE I done?!" and then I'm going to go ahead, stumble along and do it anyway... Hopefully, I can do it for no more than 10,000 dirham per month.

I appreciate your replying.  Please, if/as you think of more, I have open ears and eyes to  listen and learn!  Thank you.

SWIFT code is an international and individual code that is granted to anyu bank in the world that may have international operations. Consider the bank you'll choose in Morocco will have one (espacially if you choose among those I mentionned...).

As for the local correspondent, be sure as well that your bank will have one. To feel comfortable with that, just ask them if they can send money to Morocco. If the anser is "yes" or "sure", you don't need to worry about it any more. Most of the people ignore about that and it's automatically done by then banking system itself.

When I said the Moroccan way of life is something to be discovered, I meant you nee to leran about it to know whether it'll be fine for you. Expatriation is a personal experience as well as a professional one... I can't tell for you as I don't know you. What is fine for me here may not beok for you at all...

I would advise you to saty in hotel at first, just to get time to learn about the city, make sure this is the place you want to live and find out the housing you need. Be sure that houses are much more expensive than flats (it's kind of luxury here, especially if you want some garden around it...!) and Essaouira has turned to be expensive as far as real estate is considered because many european people (mostly french) bought lots of ryads and houses there... It has come to such a point that the prices you may find in real estate agencies are first shown in euros and not in moroccan dirhams ! And they are really high for local criterias...

I realize Americans are not known for being very savy or adaptable travelers as a whole, or even welcome or liked very much.  I have not lived my entire life in the United States - I didn't grow up in the US.  I hope my small non-US prior experience enables me to open my eyes, mind and heart to cultures and lifestyles differing from the one in which I come.  This is why I am asking so many questions.  To diminish my ignorance and broaden my horizons.

I am not seeking to bring America with me.  I do not believe the best way is the "American way".  I do not desire to impose my "americaness" on those around me.  I cannot imagine how I could alienate, insult and offend in a worse manner than that.

Thank you again for the bank info.  I will double check with my bank.  I asked once, but I am not confident they know exactly what they know exactly what I want.   

However, all the pre-arrival information gathering will not be adequate preparation for living there.  I feel I need to start somewhere, rather than arriving with zero preparation.

Where do the Moroccan people live?  THAT is where I want to live.  I expect all of this to take time.  I have a lot to learn.  I want to learn.  I appreciate everyone's information and perspective and guidance.  Is it possible to find a reasonable place to stay that will not cost me a fortune while I search for a place to live?

Don't worry; my answers are not specially made for American. I answer as I would do for any person willing to come to Morocco. But when you're coming from a western country, you not be used to the long time spent to say hello to someone here (you may repeat it 3 or 4 times differently in a row, not leaving any time to answer and then repeat it again, once or twice, before talking of any thing... Then, you may ask/be asked for the family and so on... Saying hello here y take some 2 real minutes...).

If you want to live where Moroccan people live, you may be surprised or shocked. That's why I usually suggest to people to come and see before they settle in Morocco. But, as far as you are concerned, it seems that you mind is made and you are definitely coming soon.

Thus travelling in Europe or living in Europe is pretty different thant living in Morocco. To my mind, the people that may have the most problems to get adapted to Moroccan way of living or practices are people that match with the German or Scandinavian reputation: disciplined, caring for the respect of deadlines, with a long term view much more than a short term... Here, you may meet people saying something will be done tomorrow inchallah and, one week later, you're still awaiting... It's not the way everybody is working but those people are much more numerous than in other places.

In addition, Morocco has a great cancer called corruption. They are getting started fighting it, but the job is huge... It's possible to live without payig any bakchich (I've been doing it for the last 5 years I've spent here), but it makes things go much faster in many cases... And when you're coming from a western country, you are often presumed to be rich...