Job prospects

Hi  my husband and I are considering moving to Rosarito Beach within five years, and planning a five day trip in a few months. I currently work at Banfield Animal Hospital and my husband makes guitar picks. We just started thinking about moving and was wondering what types of jobs we could get. Is it really worth driving to California everyday for work or could we get jobs in the city? My husband's mother was born in Mexico so we plan on having a duel citizenship. I am learning Spanish now. What do you think?

Laurelreyes wrote:

Hi  my husband and I are considering moving to Rosarito Beach within five years, and planning a five day trip in a few months. I currently work at Banfield Animal Hospital and my husband makes guitar picks. We just started thinking about moving and was wondering what types of jobs we could get. Is it really worth driving to California everyday for work or could we get jobs in the city? My husband's mother was born in Mexico so we plan on having a duel citizenship. I am learning Spanish now. What do you think?

I guess it depends on the lifestyle you want to have. Many with dual citizenships work in the U.S. I would think that would be the best fit for you given your background, but then as I said it would depend on the lifestyle you want to have. That area is not the cheapest area to move to.

Really? What other areas do you think we should look at? Thanks for the advice.

Well, a non-tourist spots Laurel. Places like Rosarito, T.J., Cabo, Cancun PV, SMA, Mazatlan etc are more costly because they can be. People will pay for it.  Little less traveled areas would be less expensive, but you would have to research safety.

Somewhere more south perhaps? Not Playa del Carmen or Tulum of course, but perhaps a suburb or Merida. It's a complex problem which includes cost, cartel favored areas, weather etc. Perhaps your husbands family would have ideas to share.

Explore ideas for companies who might hire you in the U.S.  If you can not get a job commitment you will have to rethink how you can support yourself. Remember Mexico prefers to hire Mexicans for jobs and the pay is not what you are used to. There have been several people complaining that they can not get a job in tourist areas that can pay their bills. Plan now, unfortunately, they did not.

I understand what you are saying and we were expecting to be paid less than we are now. However, the bills seem to be less also so there might be a balance?
We picked Rosarito Beach because it was near San Diego and Malibu, so I think we will continue to explore and look at companies there. We have five years to figure it out. Also we have rental houses here in the US so that will help.

Laurelreyes wrote:

I understand what you are saying and we were expecting to be paid less than we are now. However, the bills seem to be less also so there might be a balance?
We picked Rosarito Beach because it was near San Diego and Malibu, so I think we will continue to explore and look at companies there. We have five years to figure it out. Also we have rental houses here in the US so that will help.

If you have rentals in the US then you might find that is all you need. If you do decide to work in Rosarito then I would suggest looking into starting a business. Also if you do decide to work in San Diego you could look into living in Playas de Tijuana, or La Joya. I live in Playas and travel to San Diego.
I have also worked in Tijuana for American companies as an American. All depends on your skill set.
In general it is better to cross the border than to work for someone in Mexico.
Good Luck