Indonesian culture

Hi all!

happy independence day  to all of you.  Have you heard " rubber time" or jam karet in bahasa? what do you think about rubber time? is it good or bad ? please kindly share your opinion about it.

Thank you and have a nice weekend everyone!

Kind Regards,

Lauren

Merdeka

As for the timing, it's a blessing and a curse.
The good news is a stress free 'tidak apa apa' life that doesn't know what a heart attack is, but it's terrible for business or getting things done in general.
It's hard for British expats that are used to living by the clock to understand, but they tend to get there after a while.

It used to bother me but now it doesn't. I don't count traffic as an excuse to be late as the traffic is always there so it makes sense to leave earlier than hope the roads are empty.
As Jakarta grows up rubber time seems to be setting and so people are more likely to be somewhere on time or nearly  but I can't really say what happens outside of the big smoke but I guess time managment is less important.

lukereg wrote:

.........but I can't really say what happens outside of the big smoke but I guess time managment is less important.

You're correct.
Smaller towns have a big problem (or not, depending on your point of view)
Villages - No problem at all because everybody does rubber time.

I lived in a tiny village for almost 3 years, and it was a place nobody ever turned up when they said they would. You get used to it........................ eventually

My Mrs lives by it and they is no changing it (as do many in Indonesia)
I'm lucky if, someone says 8am I expect them  before 9am (8:59 is still in the 8th hour therefore it's still 8am to them and bonus)
When I visited our Malaysia office recently this topic came up including sick days, 35% negative turn up/ unofficial sick days is the norm that way and believe me they all take it

I'm trying to get my wife to work on a normal clock rather than the rubber one she uses - I've pretty much given up so I've taken to lying about the time we have to be at any given place.

That usually works.