The Journey - Permanency to Naturalization Experience - Let's share

Hi Everyone

Based on all the current posts I feel its a good idea for some of us to share our basis experiences or timelines in order to give all the newcomers a brief breakdown of what different individuals journeys can be like when relocating to Brazil :)

For me, I moved over to the beautiful Island of Florianopolis with my wife in February 2015, we gave birth to our baby boy in May and we received our Permanent Residency in June 2015 and we completed our journey to become Brazilian citizens towards the end of 2017 and beginning 2018 :)

Estimated Timeline:

a.  February 2015 - Moved to Brazil
b.  May 2015 - Applied for our Permanent Residency based on Child Birth (with help from the Late James Woodward - still miss him and his comments :) )
c.  June 2015 - Received our CIEs (Permanent Residency Cards)
d. June 2017 - Applied for our Brazilian Citizenship with the Policia Federal in Florianopolis
e. December 2017 - received initial approval for the citizenship
f.  February 2018 - completed naturalization formalities and Naturalized as a Brazilian Citizen

Best decision:  To settle down in Florianopolis in comparison to settling down in Rio or Sao Paulo
Worse Decision:  Hiring an attorney for my naturalization process :)

Majority of my experience is found in various posts across the forum so am sure you will run across a few things mentioned by me here and there :)

Regards

Stanza

Hi Stan I need help, I'm also in Floripa now about to pick up my RG, need help with advice on the Military service and voting, how does it work here....you can inbox me

Hi Bro

Sorry for the delay, just sent you a message

Regards

Stanza

Great post Stan,  Just seen this and I'm in RJ and thinking about moving to Floripa or closer to Curitiba.  Looks like application to approval was pretty quick.!

Hi AfroPrince

Greetings of the day!

1 thing I always say is that the immigrations officials in Floripa are usually pretty spot on. 

Yes there are a few bad seeds here and there who cause unnecessary delays for people however all in all the Policia Federal in Floripa has been great!

When are you planning on moving over?

Thats good to hear Stan,

Sounds like it would have been a lot simpler if i started my process with my wife in Floripa.. I'll be heading up north to Recife for a few months before makeing my way down. I think just before or after xmas!

Thanks