Anyone have information regarding shipping household goods to PY

Greetings,

As we move closer to heading to PY, we have been looking for a customs broker or adueno to handle getting a small container of belongings thru the port in ASU.  We had previously discussed prices with one person but due to the high price quoted(approximately the same price as the shipping fee's from the port in the US to ASU) we recently contacted a second. 

This second adueno just told us that it is now "not allowed to ship personal belongings to PY unless one was "repatriating" and had a PY passport and cedula".  Unless of course you were a diplomat! 

This doesn't sound right to me since we know folks who have shipped containers.  And there are services or busineses on the US east coast that ship containers every month filled with different folks individual boxed belongings.  We have used two of these services ourselves over the past 2 years.  This adueno said that these services too have been prohibited from shipping containers. We could find no information on any new law or change to regulations on PY government web sites. 

Does anyone know if there have been a significant change to regulations or laws regarding this?  I know that the Port Director or some high official was fired by the government, so this may be related to that.  But I'd really like to see if anyone knows of specific web site or even a government office we could check out or call.  As a last resort we can contact the PY Embassy or a consulate here in the States, but the information we get from them is usually pretty suspect.

Thanks!

You can check with a custom broker, his name is Luis Carlos Cacavelos, he speaks good eglish. You can call him at: 595 21 494 148, 595 981 900613, he will inform you what you can or canŽt do.

Thanks Jfinester, we'll give him a call to help verify everything!

Please report the details after you find out. Thanks!

Thanks to all who responded with information and/or points of contact!  From what I now understand there has been no changes to any rules or regulations recently, although with the main port in ASU being under new management the way in which these rules have been applied may have changed a bit. 

The bottom line is that there appears to be two ways to ship your "non-commercial belongings/goods to PY, one way allows you not to pay the import duties (40-50% of goods value) and the other way you pay the duties.  Either way you have to pay port fees which would seem to differ by which port and shipping agent you use.

To not pay import duties, you must be a "repatriating" or returning Paraguayan with a current PY passport.  Or, you can be an immigrant to PY that already has a resident cedula.  If you do it either of these ways, you must import the goods within a certain time frame in order to not have to pay the duties.  As an example, if your an immigrant you must accept the shipment prior to the first year anniversary of receiving your cedula.

If your shipping your belongings prior to getting a cedula, you will have to pay import duties, plus the normal port fees.  You will also have to have proof of having applied for your resident cedula in order to pick up your shipment, although I've received conflicting information on the specifics of this.

It is important to note that you must go through the PY embassy or consulate to get original Bill of Lading and packing lists notarized prior to the shipment leaving its point of origin.  These documents will be needed by your shipping agent in ASU at some time prior to your shipment arriving in ASU.

I'm sure that I've left out some of the finer points of the process, but in general I believe the above captures an overview of the process.

Thanks again to all who responded.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum. You can register your company in the Business Directory]

Hi all, we are in the process of moving to Paraguay. My wife will be repatriating and so we hope to avoid the fees. We have only found one company that is currently shipping household goods and so are hoping that some of you can throw out other companies. NVOCC is the company that we are considering although their prices have skyrocketed! We are in Oregon if this makes any difference.
thanks all for any and all responses.

Hi Mr Diego

if you want we call help us with your moving,please contac me our give me your phone number in oder to give to you all the information you need for the international moving .

[moderated: please register in the business directory, advertisement is not allowed on the forum]

regarding

lourdes tufari

I've also been trying to find out about shipping to Paraguay (from the uk)but have not had too much luck so far. My wife who is from Paraguay, made an appointment with someone from customs when she was in Para, but he simply didn't turn up and after, refused to answer her calls!!...she's called a few times after, from here in the UK but with similar lack of success...they seem to be in a complete shambles.
The only bright spot is she has a contact who has a company which send packages regulaly to Paraguay from Spain which arrive without being interfered with, with no tax to pay. There are thousands of Paraguayan expats still in Spain sending stuff back regulaly this way apparently...looks like we may have to send our stuff bit by bit to Spain, then to Para...Sorry not to be more help, but let us know if you have any joy with the aduanas
All the best