Travelling Dubai-Muscat-Dubai

Hi all,

My partner is moving to Muscat in 4 weeks, my plan is to also move to Muscat although as I am finding the job market challenging. I'm trying to come up with some alternatives.

As the job market in Dubai looks a little more attainable I've been considering moving to Dubai and using weekends and holidays to visit my partner in Muscat.

My question is, what is it like traveling between Dubai and Muscat and is this idea feasible?

I know that flights DBX->MCT are about 110-120 OMR so that fairly achievable, and that the drive is ~4.5hrs. What is the drive like?

Thanks in advance,
James

It can work.   I mean, I do Riyadh - Bahrain every weekend and it's a 5-6 hours drive door to door depending on causeway.

Personally, if the road is good, I prefer the drive as you waste less time in airports and end to end, it works out to be less time (even if more cost - I have a car / driver taking me). Get to airport bare minimum 1.5 hours before flight, parking, travel time, flight schedules and no flexibility in your schedule etc etc.

The last time I did the Muscat road trip; the road was not that great to be honest but not sure what it's like now.  I am referring to 5-6 years ago.   Secondly, the Hatta border crossing can get pretty busy so that eats into your time - nothing like the causeway still.

Hi XTang,

Thank you for your swift reply. That was the way I was beginning to consider it. Good to know that Dubai could be a viable option then.