Buying a car in Oman

Good day guys!

I just passed the driving exam and got my license. I was wondering if you have any tips regarding buying a car here in Oman. This is my 1st time to buy a car and I don't know where to start. I'm looking for a 2nd hand small sedan or a hatchback.

What are you guys driving now? Are you satisfied?
What has good A/C?
What brand and model is best here in terms of Maintenance service?
What brand has cheap parts that are always available?
Do you guys can recommend a insurance with comprehensive coverage?

Hi friend

You are from which part in Oman , and you belong to which part of India?

I am currently in Barka Oman .
I have a Nissan Maxima car of 2003 model , automatic transmission , all 4 tyres new and good running condition . Registration is also up to November. I am inteteseted in selling my car on urgent basis and throw away price only Omr 1000 . if interested please contact at below mentioned contact detail.

Amit Kumar
Car is in barka

EZcomputer wrote:

Good day guys!

I just passed the driving exam and got my license. I was wondering if you have any tips regarding buying a car here in Oman. This is my 1st time to buy a car and I don't know where to start. I'm looking for a 2nd hand small sedan or a hatchback.

What are you guys driving now? Are you satisfied?
What has good A/C?
What brand and model is best here in terms of Maintenance service?
What brand has cheap parts that are always available?
Do you guys can recommend a insurance with comprehensive coverage?

Hi EZcomputer,

You can also work backwards with regards to your car hunt.

Suggest you first fix your budget.

Then visit the leading 'pre-used car' dealers attached to large automotive dealerships.

Japanese brands are considered to be more reliable than the Korean / Chinese ones, especially if you are looking at a used vehicle.

Also it would be better for you to go through a reputed / reliable source, with some assured service, parts and maintenance support.

Good luck.

Hi,

Thank you for your offer. The price is tempting but I am looking for car model 2010 and above. I live in Al Khoud by the way.

amit_pandey1103 wrote:

Hi friend

You are from which part in Oman , and you belong to which part of India?

I am currently in Barka Oman .
I have a Nissan Maxima car of 2003 model , automatic transmission , all 4 tyres new and good running condition . Registration is also up to November. I am inteteseted in selling my car on urgent basis and throw away price only Omr 1000 . if interested please contact at below mentioned contact detail.

Amit Kumar
Car is in barka

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I am leaning towards Toyota Yaris and Hyundai Accent. Both priced around 2-3k which is in my budget. I'm guessing Toyota parts are easy to come by here and the Accent has a nice interior.

Sumitran wrote:

Hi EZcomputer,

You can also work backwards with regards to your car hunt.

Suggest you first fix your budget.

Then visit the leading 'pre-used car' dealers attached to large automotive dealerships.

Japanese brands are considered to be more reliable than the Korean / Chinese ones, especially if you are looking at a used vehicle.

Also it would be better for you to go through a reputed / reliable source, with some assured service, parts and maintenance support.

Good luck.

Hi friends!
I just downloaded OLX Arabia app. Its nice that it shows many ads from Batinah/ Sohar region (where I live) when compared to Yalla motors web site. My budget is OMR 2500 to 3000.
My queries are:
Should I get a mechanic to inspect the car before buying?
Will there be any problem if I buy Dubai-registered cars? How often is registration renewed?

Better to go to a famous seller of second hand cars. It might be 200 rial more but its safe.There are lot of scams associated with second hand sales

So its just around 200 omr more? That's nice cuz you dont need to go and do the paperwork and you can have financing.

i am also in the hunt from last 1month or so..and found lot of interesting facts..if you haven't bought a car yet, i would suggest you to buy 2012 and above models. just because of the insurance and registration renewal policy of oman, where if the car is older then 7years we have to go to ROP to get the car inspected and if they are happy to renew the registration, they will do it, if not, we have to fix everything what ROP says, then go through the inspection process again. With insurance you can only have third party insurance if the car is older then 7years (not 100% sure but this is what i found out). So if you think of a long term investment, buy 2012 and above, at least you will be ignoring these hassle for couple of years.

In terms of finding out a car, so far the best deal i saw is from Classic cars, where they give 3-5years warranty and road side assist. But they only have limited choice of cars in your budget, definitely worth a try though. Else i would recommend you to go to a showroom, and they will have a used car section. Highly recommend not to go to any used car yard, who is an independent business owner....they usually have cars imported, accidental.etc which you will have trouble getting parts, and sometimes expensive to get it fixed.