Traffic in Oman

Hello everyone,

Which city or area do you live in in Oman, and how do you find the traffic?

How long does it take to commute to work or run errands?

Is there a rush hour in your city? What times of the day would you recommend people to avoid driving if they can?

Are there any ways to avoid spending too much time in traffic in Oman?

What is parking availability and cost like?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

hi,

traffic in Oman; in general, is not that troublesome so don't worry at all.

yes there are some hours where the main road traffic in Muscat is a bit congested between 8.30am to 10am, 12noon to 1.30pm and 4.30pm to 6.30pm.

In the remaining cities across Oman, I personally dont think there is a big issue of traffic..

so...enjoy Oman :-)

Which city or area do you live in in Oman, and how do you find the traffic?
*I am living in Wadi Al kabeer and my work place in Seeb.

How long does it take to commute to work or run errands?
*Generally without traffic it's take Max. 20min to reach

Is there a rush hour in your city? What times of the day would you recommend people to avoid driving if they can?
*Yes, There are rush Hours as below:
8.00am to 10am, 12noon to 2.00pm and 4.30pm to 7.30pm

Are there any ways to avoid spending too much time in traffic in Oman?
*Yes, I am Using Muscat Expressway to avoid rush Hours traffic. Also from Qurum Roundabout I am taking Qurum heights road to reach my home. During rush Hours its takes me more than 45min to reached.

What is parking availability and cost like?
*On weekends you will park free on Public area also there are some pay Parking machines installed already in some areas.

Yes morning in city area traffic is there. Car pool is the best way..

Hi  Priscilla,

I didn't find any difficulty in commuting from my house to my workplace..

In peak hours,  a little traffic is observed...

I live in the Wave, Marsa 3, and I commute to Qurum every day. In the morning early, around 7AM, no issue, 25 minutes max. The evening is more unpredictable. In general bad around 5-6PM, adding another 10-15 minutes.

The Wave needs asap a second entry/exit as traffic is increasing significantly, making the roundabout at the present entry/exit always more congested.

Where in most other countries you have specific predictable rush hours, where traffic gets bad. In Oman is for sure more random, you can basically get into a traffic jam any time of the day. Working hours, working habits, different rules?

Dear Priscilla,

Thanks for your msg nd its my pleasure to guide you.

Actually like every country, Oman also has most and less rushed cities. But especially Muscat capital is most rush area but don't you worry carloop is there and mny others alternative roads are there to reach ur destination.

Feel free to contact for anything.

Rana Masood Bashir

Congested roads tend to be the best in the capital city of Muscat as it tends to slow people down and reduce the possibility of swerving quickly and without indication across several lanes. It might take one a fair while to get anywhere during rush hours but it beats a speedy hurtle into serious injury or death. Accidents by definition tend to be minor to major mishaps which can not be easily predicted or prepared for. There are in my view very few road 'accidents' in Oman but all too many predictable horrendous crashes. 

Busy times vary but it can get busy on Thursdays with nationals leaving work early or skipping it entirely in order to enjoy a long weekend away. Announced holidays sometimes have a similar effect with locals going off on holiday for as many days as the holiday is, but that many days before the actual event, and sometimes after. For example if there is a three day holiday, don't expect to see your local colleagues for nine days.

I can just confirm the times for rush hour specially if you travel from Barka to Muscat  - and vice versa. Off the busy times I need 7 minutes to work - but during the rush: 25...
It seems to be worse when you have to pass roundabouts, as there are a lot of them ....

And with experience you get to know: where roads are converging it will be for sure a mess, stay calm and you will see the traffic moving when each driver found his space...