Must do's in Cuenca

My boyfriend and I will be in Cuenca for 3 weeks beginning May 14. In this amount of time, what are the best things to do and places to see? Thanks.

Welcome on Expat.com KuskoCouple ;)

My wife and I will be there around the same time hope to run into you!
Tyson

Subscribe to Gringo Tree.  You get an almost daily email on things that are happening around town.

Mike

Thanks Mike - will do.

Hi KuskoCouple,
Edith and I expect to be in Cuenca around that time. Hope to run into you and exchange stories. By the way Alaska has always fascinated me and at some point I was considering moving there. Mitri

For sure stop by TerraDiversa's office on Calle Larga.  They have several "must-do" tours that you can choose from.

Obviously this wonŽt help the original post, but maybe it will give someone else an idea. I was just in Cuenca this past weekend and would highly recommend going to the Marcado Municipio at the corner of Mariscal Lamar and Hermano Miguel.  It is a very colorful and lively market and a great place to eat.  The top floor has many different stands that sell various dishes.  There are many people that have whole roast pigs sitting out. When you walk past them they hand you samples.  For the meal, they'll cut you off some meat and skin and serve it with fried balls of mashed potatoes topped with onions.  This was by far the best food I've had since moving to Ecuador.  Also, on the other side of the pig row are women selling a delicious and cheap breakfast.  It consists of rice, potatoes, hominy(mote), pork meat, pork skin (cuero) and a hard-boiled egg.  All of this was only a dollar.  For 30 or 50 cents more, thereŽs fresh juices too.  The coconut juice was so rich, it was like milkshake.  There were also people selling some different chicken meals, but I unfortunately didn't have time to try them. The middle floor has great hot chocolate and morocho which is a hot, creamy drink made with blended corn, milk, cinnamon, and allspice. Good stuff.   The Lonely Planet describes this market as "mainly fruits and vegetables" which is a total undersell.  The bottom floor is packed with meat and some fish.  On the outer walls, there are various candies and sweets for sale.  I'd be really happy if I could find a market like this in Quito.  In the very short time I had in Cuenca, this place was my favorite.