Places to visit in Cuenca

Hi,

For the ones living in Cuenca, what would you suggest to discover the region?

When you have friends or family visiting you, where do you go with them? What are the must-see places in Cuenca, the tourist sites?

How to visit the region in an original way? Any unusual or unknown place to recommend?

What would you suggest for a couple of days of for a week of holidays in Cuenca?

Thank you in advance for participating ;)

Julie

I'm sure there are tourist places to visit and you will pay tourist prices.
My advice. Buy a bus pass and take different bus routes to see the city. Stop at places that interest you. Be adventurous. The entire city has many places of interest on every block. Chill along the Tomebamba or any one of the beautiful city parks. Marvel at the architecture and note the detail of construction.
Try different local dishes. You can have a meal for as little as $1.25 or you can spend $22.50 at a fancy restaurant catering to gringos.
If you are a senior citizen, present your passport at the Metro ticket office on Capules and you will be issued a bus pass for $1.70 which you can load for any amount at .125 cents per ride.
I did a complete circuit on one bus route for an hour and a half at a cost of 12 cents.

Adios,

Carl

Hi Julie,
To start, you absolutely MUST go to Parque Calderon. It is the center of El Centro. From the park, you are right across the street from The New Cathedral, which must be toured. It is awesome. Then, after you exit the Cathedral, walk directly across the street, and jump on one of the double decker tour buses, which gives you a really good feel for the city. It culminates up in the mountains at Turi Hill. You will never see a better view of the entire city of Cuenca. Feel free to visit the gift shop up there. He has a little bit of everything, and has very good prices, which surprised me. You won't have enough time on the tour, but just down the hill about a block is the world renown ceramist's work shop, and home, of Vega. It is a stunning view from his shop, the ceramics are breathtaking, and, Vega himself might just happen to wonder in.
This is a starting place Julie, others will chime in, but I think this one little destination in the city that will cover many interesting aspects of it!
Safe Journey,
Neil

Hello :)

Thank you all for your contribution :)

Regards.

Karen :)