Recreation in Cuenca

We are considering making the move within the next year. We are young retirees with a teenager and dog and cat! My husband is concerned he won't be able to keep busy. He rollerblades and bikes and takes the dog to the park daily. He also plays hockey but am pretty sure that won't happen there.
What recreational activities would anyone reccomend for him?
Also, how do dog owners run their dogs? We have an energetic 2 year old dog that needs more than just walks.

Not sure about roller blading here as the streets don't seem to lend themselves to that.  However there are bike clubs and they do both night and day rides.  My neighbor and his kids frequently go bike riding on Sunday mornings.  There are many paths along the river where he can walk/run the dog.  There is a river path in our neighborhood that is ±35 minutes walking - each way and it is along the river.  It is also great for biking.  There are people/groups that ride from Cuenca to Azogues...which seems to me to be up hill both ways.

For me the hardest part was going from 60 to zero.  But it takes a bit to get used to a new city...new life style.  But IMHO, Cuenca offers a lot of different types of activities.  Just takes time to find them.  Would be happy to put your husband in contact with the people that I know.

Thank you for the great info. I will be sure to pass the info on to my husband. Yes 60 to zero will be a new experience for us. Hoping to find a school for our daughter and then set a time for flight. It seems to proving difficult flying with the dog. Temps between Michigan and Miami are very different and we only have a 40 degree window to fly her in!

There is also an Olympic sized pool available. If memory serves me, it's like a buck a day for admission.
Many folks run their dogs down by the river between Old Town and New Town. Very dog friendly community.
Stay Well,
Neil

Hello Stephanieg,

I f you like aoutdoors activities there's plenty to do inside the city, and even more in the sorrounding area.
Many people likes to ride bikes along the rivers and walk or running as well.

There's also many small parks and a big one named Parque el Paraiso where you can go and walk with or without the dog. Also there's one dedicted for roller skates, skates and similars.
But notice the weather is not good for this all year long, now we have a really nice, sunny days but we had like 4 consecutives months of rain and cold.

Also, he can fish, go to a gym, play soccer, trekking, hiking...

Vinny

idle curiosity, but where is the skate park?

Mike

Thanks for all the great ideas! You say cold and rainy for 4 consecutive months?! Does it rain all day? Can't be much colder than November - March in Michigan! I hope anyways.

@quito 0819.

The skate park is named "parque guatana" is located in Une st. and Cordillera.  is difficult to find, is close Gran Aki on Gonzalez Suarez av.
If you drive from west to east, just past Gran Aki, the first trafic light to the left, up to the hill.

Vinny

Thanks.  Know where that is

In Quito they have a hockey league that plays at the ice rink in the Quito Central mall every Tuesday.  They even have a web site.  Lots of expats play but I didnt bring my equipment with me so I took up golf.:cool:

How's the golf? Courses any good? I bet it's more affordable than the States...

Golf is amazing, and relatively cheap but you need to know a member of the club in order to get an invite.  You can only go a certain number of times a month so I have made friends at all three clubs and play as often as I wish.  $35 to $50 per round as a guest.  Most expensive part about golf in Ecuador is replacing balls.  I dont keep score realy, just keep track of how many balls I loose per round.  Best round yet was lost three, found one.

Awesome, although I have to say, $35 to $50 is not cheap. That's weekend rates at a decent public course in the Washington, DC area, or weekday rates at a private course.

-B

Courses of similar status and quality in Canada would be $150 to $200 per round.  Imagine playing Augusta or the Players course.

Playing golf is OK if you know someone who is member of the club.
If you want a membership be ready to pay at least $8,000 in Cuenca for just nine holes and some mothly fees after that.

In Quito and Guayaquil have better courses but the prices are higher too.
Golf is an elitist sport in Ecuador.

Vinny

Although not widely publicized, the FAE course adjacent to the Quito airport is “public”. The daily rate is less than $20 and the local pro's are excellent. If looking for higher quality and have the budget, the “Chillos” or “Cerros” are good options.