Getting to cuenca from Quito

I am flying into Quito and have 12 days in Ecuador. I wanted to see Quito, some countryside i.e. volcano, cloud forest, birding area, Cuenca, some interesting hiking, and the Galapagos.
I thought about flying to Cuenca from Quito, but wanted to check out Quito and the area . Is this
realistic?

When in Quito don't forget a trip to the Equator.  We hired a taxi to get there from downtown Quito "1-hour ride."  Had him wait for around 1.5 hours and the hour ride back.  Total cost $40 for the taxi.
There are 2 places, the real Equator and the old one that is off a few hundred feet.  The real one is a blast and very interesting, the old one has a ton of stores and restaurants. Not as interesting but good for shopping.  Don't forget to negotiate prices.

Drmark,
Hey.... hear it's kinda cold back home. I sure miss dragging out the snow blower in sub zero temps.... NOT
Great meeting you folks.
Stay Well,
Neil

It was a pleasure to finally meet you, the wife and I both voted yes to Cuenca.  So on track for Feb-March 2016 transition.

Great to hear. You'll both make fine additions to the community.
Just tell your wife to " watch her step " < grin>
Neil

Thanks for the tip. Still reviewing how my trip is going to unfold. Which Volcano to go to and with Naitonal park is a must see. With 6 or 7 days on the mainland before flying to the Galapagos it's
hard to choose where to go, but a bus tour may be on my list though I would prefer to just take a slow trip and see the country.