Best season to move to Mexico

Hello,

Many expats choose to move to Mexico at a specific time of the year, and we invite you to share some tips about the best seasons to move to the country.

What is the best season/time of the year to move to Mexico, and why?

How do rent prices fluctuate based on the different seasons?

Is there a change in the job market depending on the seasons, such as job availability?

Are there any seasonal festivals or cultural events that would allow you to learn about the country?

What are the times of year to avoid for expatriation to Mexico?

During which season did you move? How did it go?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

I'm retired so I don't know about the job market, but I do know about seasons and holidays.
Holiday seasons would definitely not be the time to move to Mexico in my opinion. Especially the Christmas holiday season which is longer here than in the U.S. and definitely as we all know runs into the New year. Holidays cause everything to slow down or stop, So if you are trying to complete paperwork, or get packages during holidays you could run into a lot of problems. If you are moving here it would definitely be a good idea to see when the holidays are and schedule at least a month around them.

Weather is another factor we are now in tropical storm/ hurricane season which can get exciting. We will be in that season until November 30th, but the worst part is August and September.

We came here in June 6 years ago. There were some bumps and problems, but that is Mexico. Every day is different in some way here. The house was supposed to be ready, but it wasn't. The owner had decided to let her sister stay there for 2 more weeks, then the house had to be "cleaned" so we spent 2 unplanned weeks in hotels. That is the unseen, unknown things you have to factor in. The what if's.

As far as costs, if you are heading to a touristy area expect them to be high, and that you will have more problems finding an affordable place. Remember, you are not the only people looking, and that Mexico does not run on the same tight schedule that the U.S. does.   "Mexican time is not a myth". Also, know they can be flexible, but they do hold a tight grip on rules.

Buena Suerte

We came to San Miguel de Allende for the month of February 2015 to attend the Writer's Conference. We were here a month and while here we decided to stay. We rented a house beginning April 1st. Flew back to Portland, Oregon,  stuffed our SUV to the gills, and drove back down. April is a dry and hot month. Everything went without a hitch and we have been here going on four years. It would be harder to move during the rainy season starting in late June t6hrough September.
Mike Landfair

Hi, we are retired and almost a year fulltime in Mexico.

1-What is the best season/time of the year to move to Mexico, and why?

For us there is not a best or season, you must be ready to move. For us it was August 26th 2017 because we had sold everything at that time (just 4 suitcases left and by plane). But, if moving by car, furniture, weather might be a factor. We also had everything organized for our arrival with the owner of our apartment (cleaning, etc...).

2-How do rent prices fluctuate based on the different seasons?

Renting year round is a good incentive to reduce the price (for us, high season winter 6 month stay from 14000$ down to 9000$ pesos/month)

3-Is there a change in the job market depending on the seasons, such as job availability?

Being retired, it's not a factor for us...but sure tourists increase job opportunities in winter months for Mexicans. For a foreigner, unless youhave skills that Mexicans don't have good luck for a good paid job.

4-Are there any seasonal festivals or cultural events that would allow you to learn about the country?

In Mexico, there are always action going on to help you to blend in...first learn Spanish and make local friends (they know more stuff and secret places)

5-What are the times of year to avoid for expatriation to Mexico?

None, just be ready. Except maybe, in 2026 with Mundial to be held in Mexico

6-During which season did you move? How did it go?

As said before on August 26th 2017 but our ultimate date was October 29th 2017

To add, you must allow a few months once arrived to finalise the paperwork
A- INM 2 WEEKS (3 VISITS)
B- DRIVER'S LICENSE 4 DAYS (2 VISITS BECAUSE WEEKEND)
C- INAPAM 1 DAY
D- IMSS 1 MONTH (3 VISITS)

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.

My boyfriend have lived in Tijuana for about a year. I don't have much information regarding the questions directly, but I can say this.

A great time to move is April/may/June because it isn't too hot.

Don't expect to move in exactly when you want. If a landlord says two weeks, id give it three. Life happens and getting it ready always takes more time than planned.

My boyfriend and I didn't bring much when we moved here, but I've heard from locals that when you move here, it's best to take as little as possible because if you bring electronics or expensive things, the border will tax you (has anyone heard this as well?). Plus, if you don't bring much, you can always buy whatever you need here.

Job/career wise I'm not sure. I work from home and my boyfriend commutes across the border every day.

Something I would highly recommend: if you move to Tijuana, and you plan on commuting to the US every day, get the Sentri pass BEFORE you move here. It will save you so much time, even if you don't plan on staying longer than the summer. Even if you don't stay long, or you want to visit frequently, I'd still recommend it.

Ther are so many festivals in Tijuana, but I'd recommend googling them (I can't remember the dates and names).There is an amazing art presence here and Cecut is a great museum to visit if you want to learn about culture and they often host artist walks and festivals. I'd recommend a soccer game, too! If you really want to dive into culture, I'd honestly recommend making some friends and ask a lot of,questions about their culture. Plus, people from different regions can tell you different things about Mexico.

Your information about moving to Tijuana was very helpful, especially your comments about bringing my possessions across the border. I'm actually flying this evening from Cabo to San Diego via Alaska Airlines because I was using collected miles. After reading your post, I realize that now, having my luggage in the US, when I return to Mexico to live in Ensenada, and need to cross the border with my luggage, I may be charged duty for electronic items.

Any suggestions for crossing the border into Mexico with three huge suitcases, including some electronic items?

Gracias!

SkyeMoody wrote:

Your information about moving to Tijuana was very helpful, especially your comments about bringing my possessions across the border. I'm actually flying this evening from Cabo to San Diego via Alaska Airlines because I was using collected miles. After reading your post, I realize that now, having my luggage in the US, when I return to Mexico to live in Ensenada, and need to cross the border with my luggage, I may be charged duty for electronic items.

Any suggestions for crossing the border into Mexico with three huge suitcases, including some electronic items?

Gracias!

My wife and I moved to Mexico last August, we had 4 suitcases 2 carry on suitcases with various electronics (2 tablets, 2 cellphones, DVD player, camera, etc..). Since we had your Visa for permanent residency in our passport and CANJE process on the FMM, the aduana personel only ask if that was our complete personal goods (no more red/green light in Mexico city airport). We also had copies of the purchase invoices.

So ,I would be surprised if you had to pay duty fees.

We are moving to San Miguel to a long term fully furnished rental during the rainy season. We went in May (quiet time for SMA) to scout for a home. This was a beneficial time as there were not a horde of people looking for rentals. We were able to score a home in a coveted area that would have been more difficult to obtain if the town was more full.