How to discover the cultural scene in Hungary

Hello,

Moving to a new place and learning about the culture goes beyond adapting to customs and traditions. The art scene (music, art, literature, and cinematography) is also a big part of discovering a new country.

What are the best ways to learn about the cultural scene in Hungary, and how important are the arts in the country?

Did you do a lot of research prior to moving, or was it easy to explore the art scene after your move?

How would you explain the art scene in Hungary? What is the most salient art form in the country, that you would recommend for future expats to explore in order to adapt and integrate faster: literature, cinematography, music, etc.?

Which art form and artist most represent the country's culture, and why?

Are there certain activities or places such as art centres that would help to explore the culture in Hungary?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Free chair lift ride for Mum's on Mother's Day (Sunday 6th) if near Veszprem:

Chairlift Free Ride

fluffy2560 wrote:

Chairlift Free Ride

That gives me a blank page.

But of course, I have quite a few script blocks on my browser. Only allow well known scripts to access my browser. Especially one offering something for "free". Custom scripts often means tracking. Maybe nefarious action. Too many years working in IT to visit sites that that require custom scripts. Web pages work fine with just HTML to even bother visiting most those that don't.

Priscilla wrote:

How would you explain the art scene in Hungary?

For current art: Every third persons seems to be an artist. A painter, a musician, or whatever.

For historical art: A lot of what was produced during communism was political, and a lot of the rest currently has become political.  :|

Hi Hungary This is a beautiful country there are not such wonderful people in the world how HUNGARY
to find out more I would have to see Budapest in the  nights
Best regards SPEED

Hi you must try the Hungarian palinka
you will get to know the taste of life
Best regards

klsallee wrote:
Priscilla wrote:

How would you explain the art scene in Hungary?

For current art: Every third persons seems to be an artist. A painter, a musician, or whatever.

For historical art: A lot of what was produced during communism was political, and a lot of the rest currently has become political.  :|

So true, every 3rd person does seem to claim to be a artist in one field or the other. Actually they all are talented.
Not hard to just take a walk and hear a piano or other instrument being played inside a random flat/apt.
Our neighbor upstairs was a very well known Gypsy violinist,he passed on a couple years back the the family moved out.He was a real gent, always held the door open for me etc.
Nice older man, gave violin lessons inside their flat, most times his students didn't make me want to scream out in pain, all pretty good players.
Next door neighbors son was one of the male dancers in the now de funked Hungarian folk/rock band, NOX.
Not sure what other talented people live in just our house alone.
Have known a few HU artists who had private shows in NY to show off their art.
We have a oil painting , actually 2 of his pieces were given to us. We had a 3rd piece but he asked for it back for his show and he decided to keep it.
Went by the nickname of,"Painter".
I am no longer shocked to find out anyone's special talent here, some speak several languages, some paint some play music.
I often tease my husband and ask him why he can't dance Hungarian fold style.
His brother and SIL were a folk dancing couple when they were young, his bro is a very private and quiet guy and even he had a talent.
Sports are also full of talented Hungarians.
Most of the movie studios in Hollywood were started up by Hungarians.

One major reason I came to Budapest was for the abundant classical music life to which I go 5 nights a week averaging $11 a ticket,  some more some less.  I have a calendar book where I write down performances and cost. Sometimes I double book and give away one ticket to a friend.

The venues I rotate between are the OPERA HOUSES, FRANZ LISZT MUSIC ACADEMY and MUPA (Palace of the arts.  One can go on their web sites and view the itineraries for  three months or more and book tickets.  The least expensive tickets sell out very quickly so it is important to go on the site and buy as soon as that part of the season is announced and put up. 

Budapest has at least 14 symphony orchestras, wonderful chamber groups, famous visiting solo performers and orchestras.  AN AMAZING FEAST FOR INEXPENSIVE PRICE. 

The Budapest Festival orchestra has reputation of being among ten best in the world.

The Hungarian National Ballet is reputed to be among the best in the world.

NOTHING LIKE LIVE GREAT MUSIC IN BUDAPEST TO KEEP THE SPIRITS UP IF THAT IS YOUR THING!