Visa application.

firstly i am acting on secondhand information, i am given to understand that the cambodian government has given permission for a cambodian national to apply for and obtain a visa to about 80 countries in febuary this year, so i would like to take my long time partner to japan for a holiday, i personally hold an australian passport and do not require a visa for stays in japan not exceeding 90 days, it seems to good to be true as i found it impossible to get a visa for australia even though i garunteed to put up a bond, supply a copy of a return flight ticket, pay for any medical /illness problems etc. assure them in writing that she would not seek employment, alas to no avail, any help, advice or information would be welcome as i would also like to take her to paris, i have searched for information but only ended up more confused,  regards to all, cookiboy,

Cookyboy, although this is not a thing for expats to Cambodia, I will try to give a few clear answers.

You say it is possible to apply for a visa for Japan for your Cambodian partner.
That is great isn't it?

That does not mean that all countries follow that. Each country has it's own rules and can do what they want in cases of visa applications.

I know the Oz immigration is not the easiest one. I have talked to Cambodian girls that were told they needed to provide proof that they will return to Cambodia. Such proof would be a child here or real estate. I've never heard of such demands by other countries but Oz is Oz.

As for Paris, France is part of the Schengen group of I think 27 countries. You apply to the country where you land, and with the Schengen visa you can travel through all 27 countries of the Schengen group. Isn't that great? To apply you will have to go to the French embassy. You can only apply for a tourist visa, but that is valid for 3 months. Should all be no problem.

So go ahead with applications to the countries you want to visit. Oz is a pain in the neck,  but it's their country and they decide.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

dear joe, thanks mate, i will follow through on your advice,  kind regards,  cookiboy