Visa process for land crossing from VN

Hello expats in Cambodia,

I will be traveling to China and Vietnam starting in mid-January 2014 and plan on entering Cambodia by bus from Saigon in late February. I've read many posts about visa applications at airports, but haven't seen anything about the land crossing visa process. I will be applying for the Tourist Visa. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Good_Man wrote:

Hello expats in Cambodia,

I will be traveling to China and Vietnam starting in mid-January 2014 and plan on entering Cambodia by bus from Saigon in late February. I've read many posts about visa applications at airports, but haven't seen anything about the land crossing visa process. I will be applying for the Tourist Visa. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can only advise you from my experience coming from Thailand to Cambodia, via land crossing. It was as easy as flying in. The one difference is, expect the border crossing immigration employees to be corrupt. I paid significantly more for my visa at the border, than I should have paid - almost double, in fact. (The equivalent of $45 USD, paid in Thai Baht.)

I did come by private car. In your case, if you are going to come across by bus, perhaps the bus company will take care of the visa processing for you? That is, if you will be staying on the same bus the entire trip?

Hello Good_Man, you will obtain your Cambodian visa traveling by bus as easily as in the airport, there is no difference. At the border crossing, you need to present your passport, US$20 and 1 photo (any size), and fill in a brief immigration from. If your bus is accompanied by a guide, he may probably ask you for $2-3-5 extra "tips" for "helping with your visa" (it's up to you to pay or be stubborn). Anyway, everything is quite easy and simple with the visa. Have a good trip!

AnnaLio wrote:

Hello Good_Man, you will obtain your Cambodian visa traveling by bus as easily as in the airport, there is no difference. At the border crossing, you need to present your passport, US$20 and 1 photo (any size), and fill in a brief immigration from. If your bus is accompanied by a guide, he may probably ask you for $2-3-5 extra "tips" for "helping with your visa" (it's up to you to pay or be stubborn). Anyway, everything is quite easy and simple with the visa. Have a good trip!

Thanks for the info AnnaLio.  I'm heading west soon as well.