? about EG visa extension

Hello,

I have a question about an EG visa. I know I can get one for 6 months (ME), then I have to leave the country and can extend for another 6 months. How many times can I extend this visa? I am under 50 so I can not apply for a retirement visa for some years. I am not looking for work and have dividend / investment income. I am looking to stay in Siem Reap for several years but am not sure if I can acquire a visa for that length of time. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You can apply for a ER retirement EOS based on income. You only have to convince the Department of Immigration that you are financially independent.

How often you can repeat an EG extension is not known, there is only one story of someone getting EG for the third time.

Hope this helps.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hi,

I didn't want to start a new topic as my question is similar to this one.

I recently moved to Siem Reap with my partner, we are on 1-month tourist visas.

These visas were issued by the Cambodian Embassy in Berlin, Germany.

Our entry point was 21st October 2018.

We are searching for reputable agents to extend our visas to EG (6-month).

Our Estate Agent quoted us $430 while a Visa Agency in Siem Reap quoted us $314.

Are these prices accurate? I'm finding it difficult to research the prices for EG 6-month Visas.

If you could give some advice or point me in the right direction that would be great.

We plan to apply for them on Monday 5th November.

Thanks in advance.

Alexander & Nastia

Hello.

You made the mistake to come on a tourist visa. You should have come on an Ordinary visa, that one only can be extended for e.g. EG.

Now you have to leave the country, come back on an Ordinary visa. After a week you apply for a EG extension for 6 months multiple entry.

Skip the agents that try to rip you off!

The costs of a 6 months EG extension are about $165 and no documents are required.

Note that after the EG expires you have to leave the country but can repeat the same process.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hello Afetoc,

I can actually answer your visa question. If you have a tourist visa, you can extended for only 30 days then must leave the country. It cost my brother fifty seven dollars. We checked with multiple agency's and none of them could change a Tourist visa to an E visa (ordinary). If you arrived on an E visa then you can request an EG visa that will be good for six months and is ME. That is what I ended up doing and it cost me 160.00. Hope this helps.

Sorry,

I misinformed you.

We are on Ordinary Visas.

So we won't be needing to leave the country!

We'll go straight to the agent tomorrow who quoted us roughly what you mentioned above.

Thanks, Joe!

We are on Ordinary Visas :)

$160 sounds right.

$160 is correct, find yourself a reliabe trustworthy agent. SR agents have the name to overcharge, but there are good ones too.

Joe

Sorry to reactive this post.

It seems my partner and I are indeed on Tourist Visas. We thought we had confirmed with the embassy in Berlin that we obtained Ordinary Visas, but it turns out there was a miscommunication.

So we are travelling to the border at Krong Poi Pet to enter into Thailand and re-enter into Cambodia on Ordinary Visas.

I have a few questions regarding this procedure, I'd be grateful for your answers.

1) Must we carry any other sort of currency besides USD? Should we have a certain amount on us to be able to enter Thailand?

2) How long must we stay in Thailand before re-entering Cambodia? Obviously, we'll have a walk around the market but is there a minimum time limit?

3) I have a United Kingdom passport, which I believe allows me entry into Thailand for free? My partner has a Cypriot Passport (European Union). What is the fee for her to enter Thailand and would re-entering Pot Pei be any difficult to obtain ordinary visas?

4) If we just ask for an Ordinary Visa at the border once re-entering will they understand? We just want to make sure we don't re-enter on Tourist Visas.

Thanks in advance for your help.

No need for Thai baht unless you want to buy things in Aranyaphet Thailand.

Thai entry is visa free and no costs involved. No exception for Cyprus residents.

You can return same day.

When you come to the Cambodian border post you get or ask for an application form.
There are only two spaces to mark: tourist visa and ordinary visa.

Take a passport photo with you and $35 each.

That's all.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Nice one, JoeKhmer.

Thanks!

Welcome  :thanks:

Hi Joe,

Just need to confirm a couple more things.

I've been reading on the Thailand Embassy website (http://www.thaiembassy.org).

And I found this :

1) The applicant must possess instrument of means of living expenses 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family accordingly.

2) Visa on arrival is provided at 24 designated international checkpoints and applicants should produce the application form to which his/her recent photograph is attached. The application fee is currently 1,000 Baht. (until 31 August 2017)

List of 21 countries are as follows
5. Cyprus

I know I, myself, can enter hassle free as I have a U.K. passport.

But my partner has a Cypriot (EU) one and is a bit worried she'd be expected to have $300 on her in order to enter. Which we'd rather not do. 

So just to confirm again,

She can enter Thailand without paying for a visa also not needing to carry that much money on her.

Sorry to bother, again!

Alexander & Nastia

Hi Joe,

Just need to confirm a couple more things.

I've been reading on the Thailand Embassy website (http://www.thaiembassy.org).

And I found this :

1) The applicant must possess instrument of means of living expenses 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family accordingly.

2) Visa on arrival is provided at 24 designated international checkpoints and applicants should produce the application form to which his/her recent photograph is attached. The application fee is currently 1,000 Baht. (until 31 August 2017)

List of 21 countries are as follows
5. Cyprus

I know I, myself, can enter hassle free as I have a U.K. passport.

But my partner has a Cypriot (EU) one and is a bit worried she'd be expected to have $300 on her in order to enter. Which we'd rather not do. 

So just to confirm again,

She can enter Thailand without paying for a visa also not needing to carry that much money on her.

Sorry to bother, again!

Alexander & Nastia

Hello Alexander and Nastia.

You are right and I forgot that Cyprus is on the list of countries who's citizens need a Visa on Arrival.
That means your partner needs to get such a visa for the costs of 1.000 baht.

You come from a country that allows citizens to enter on a visa exemption at no costs.

To avoid questions about onward travel buy already a bus ticket back from Poipet to Siem reap.

Another good thing is when you could produce a hotel reservation in Cambodia for the time after the day of border crossing. Also a rental contract would be great proof that you don't want to stay long in Thailand.

For the money, I would take no risk and have the cash with me. You need about $600 for both of you together.
In all my entries to Thailand I have never been asked to show money, but it is a requirement.

On both sides of the border don't let "touts" help you, they have fake visa offices or charge you a fee for something you can do yourself. Tell them friendly that you have everything prepared.
Follow one system: to go out of Cambodia you go to "Departures", to enter Thailand you go to "Arrivals". Same system the other way around.
It's possible that Cambodian immigration officials point you to an office to apply for your Ordinary visa.
Have $35 prepared each, photo's for Thailand and Cambodia and passports that are valid for 6 months or more and also have empty pages for the visas and stamps.

To avoid the hassle at the Thai border you could also get a visa at a Thai embassy in Cambodia, costs the same.
Also consider alternatively getting a visa for Vietnam [only your partner] costs $25. No requirements for onward travel and no requirements to show cash money. Maybe a better alternative?

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Joe

Thanks, Joe.

We'll just go to the border at Poipet and deal with the hassle of going out and back in.

Ensuring we have the required documentation and funds.

Thanks again.

Hello,

Sorry to bump this topic up again but I require some clarification.

Our EG visas will be expiring in early March.

Is it possible to gain a second EG visa after exiting and re-entering Cambodia on an Ordinary Visa, even if you've already had an EG visa in the past?

Yes you can.  There are reports  of people  getting  a second  EG and some  even a third.

But they are getting  more  tight so a second  one seems  to be the only  option.

Cheers

Joe