Berlin - Germany - working self-employed

Hi all,

I'm currently self-employed and am soon moving to Germany (Berlin)from another country in the EU. I want to register as self-employed on arrival (I'm a Translator / Copy Writer).

Can anyone provide any advice on the process in Germany, and also the residency requirements (I'm an EU citizen)?

I currently pay my social security / income tax in my country of residence. Is it possible to transfer directly to the German social security system from another country in the EU?

Thanks for any advice!

Kevin

Welcome to Expat-blog, Lisetta

Your discussion has been redirected to the Germany forum for effective networking.

Hope that you get some replies soon from other members.

Regards

Hello Kevin!
Coming from another EU country is not a problem. You need to register your address in the town you end up in. Go to a Bürgeramt, take proof of your address. I donŽt think translators have to register their profession elsewhere ( but not 100% sure ).
The main thing: as soon as you register, you are legally obliged to be health insured. You have two options:
...transfer from the public health system in the country youŽre currently living in to GermanyŽs. For this you need to plan in advance and bring PROOF youŽve been in your current countryŽs health system ( E104 form and EHIC ). Without these you cannot get into the public system. Self-employed pay 14.9% of their gross income into the public system here. Unfortunately, unless you can prove youŽre a very low earner, youŽll be charged around 320 euros a month as a minimum as the authorities assume freelancers earn 3900 euros a month!!!!

It MIGHT be better for you ( depending on age, health , finances and expected time to stay in Germany et al ) to take out private health insurance. It is NOT based on income, Most single self-employed in Germany prefer the private system for cost and quality reasons.

Everything else: tax and the rest will have to be paid here.

A belated thanks John! (sorry, been wrapped up in the process of moving). I'm now in Berlin and sorting everything out now.

All the best, Kevin.

Best wishes with that and just ask if you need any advice!
Cheers
John