Moving my professional culinary knife set

Hi, I am Billy. My husband Dave and I are moving to Mazatlan from Minnesota USA. We are retired.  I have been professionally involved with food as my career. Been trying to find out how I transport my culinary knives to Mexico. Want a legit suggestion. Any opinion or advice?

Why would it be an issue?

Pack it in your check thru luggage, wrapping it securely.

peggyd wrote:

Pack it in your check thru luggage, wrapping it securely.

Knives in luggage in the U.S. could be a  significant issue. I would look into some way of getting them certified as trade tools. If your are driving , identifying them as tools and packing them well should work. It is the U.S where you could have problems with flying.

Sorry, I just don't see it being an issue.  You can fly with your firearms in checked baggage all over the US without an issue.  Flying in the US with clearly culinary utensils will not be an issue.

Oops
when I worked for an airline you had to declare a firearm in your luggage

jamesr3939 wrote:

Sorry, I just don't see it being an issue.  You can fly with your firearms in checked baggage all over the US without an issue.  Flying in the US with clearly culinary utensils will not be an issue.

i got held up because of a less than one inch nail file, so I would really checkout and clarify anything you want to have on an airplane, As for guns I think it is more stringent than you think, and Mexico does not allow them.

Nail file?  In checked luggage?  I have had issues with small items like that in carry on but never checked.  Yes you do have to declare firearms in your checked luggage and there are all sorts of packaging requirements for guns and ammo.  But it's totally allowed and I have done it several times.  Yes, I know all about guns in Mexico.  But the topic short of slopped other into overall transporting items. 

I still see no reason why knives will be an issue in checked luggage, even in Mexico.  I would wrap them and mark them clearly as they might show up on the checked luggage area xray if they get scanned.

I think a bigger problem is what goes missing if you put it in luggage. I'm surprised that more isn't missing, I would think guns would be a major target for theft, I know cameras disappear on a regular basis. If I had anything of value it went on board with me. As for my nail file , it was tiny , they knew something was there, but couldn't see it so they looked and looked, I thought the whole thing was strange.

Yep wrapping and labeling could work, but driving over the border would be safer loss wise. That way you would have much less  super inspection, and no xrays to deal with. I used to love flying but not any more.

travellight wrote:

I used to love flying but not any more.

I hear that!!!   For most people, flying with checked firearms is the only way they are allowed.  Unless you are a law enforcement officer and that's an entirely different story.  They use to put a big red sticker on the outside of the bag "FIREARM".  Now, how do you think that worked out?   Now they put the sticker inside the bag.

I brought My knives 2 years ago. No issue, But I wrapped them individually, then all together, with a huge notice on it in red. "Danger, sharp knives inside" Why, because more likely your bags might be inspected before loading by US agents. You don't want them to get hurt. Every once in a while I find a note that says My luggage's have been inspected. Hard to find Victorinox and Henkles any where, even in commercial  venues that cater's to the professionals. Good luck.

Mrjfortin wrote:

I brought My knives 2 years ago. No issue, But I wrapped them individually, then all together, with a huge notice on it in red. "Danger, sharp knives inside" Why, because more likely your bags might be inspected before loading by US agents. You don't want them to get hurt. Every once in a while I find a note that says My luggage's have been inspected. Hard to find Victorinox and Henkles any where, even in commercial  venues that cater's to the professionals. Good luck.

You are right, I just talked to a friend whose son is a professional chef and he wraps and labels his knives as he travels in the U.S. and Mexico. I guess he has a special bag he slides them into.

Hi.
I have nice knives (for an amateur ). I just wrapped them singly in dish towels and packed em with my other kitchen stuff.  My moving fee included insurance so if there'd been a prob I would have made a claim but no prob.

You could not pack them in carry on luggage and you may be reluctant to pack them in checked luggage since I'm sure they are quite valuable and a lost luggage could be a disaster in that case. Would it be possible to ship them to your new address?

They would considered to be potential weapons.