Long time resident seeks advice from other long-timers

I refuse to call us "old-timers"!   That brings up an image of toothless dotterers.  (My apologies to any denture-wearers or jubilados... Is there a specific word in Spanish for long-time expats??  Like "sourdoughs in Alaska? Don't know of any...)

I've lived and worked in Mexico  for 23 years and am looking at retirement not too far in the future.  I plan to retire right where I am, in Guanajuato.   Up till now, I've managed to live handily and happily on my own.  However, I'm  single without family, and I'd rather reach 90 in the company of a group of caring and sharing others.  For that reason, I have proposed the idea of cohousing a/k/a an intentional community here in Guanajuato to be built and inhabited by  a relatively small (12-15 person) group.  I've posted and advertised on various Mexico forums and have gotten a pretty good response, but it's mostly come from people "thinking" or "planning" to move to Mexico. While I have nothing against "newbies", and welcome them to the project, being both wagon-master of the project as well as scout for those pioneering in a new country makes it doubly difficult.

I know that some of you long-timers post on the forums, usually giving wise advice to newcomers. That's how most of the forums are geared, after-all, but I'm guessing most of us find little other reason to frequent these forums.  I have a few friends who have lived here several years who are interested in the project, but I'd like to find a way to get the word out to more people like us, people who have lived here a long time, already know that they WANT to live in Mexico, and are already familiar with the culture and language.  I plan to leave fliers at places like libraries and cafes, but that will only cover the local scene.

I have thought about going to specific city forums and asking  something along the lines of "Lived in XXXX a long time, not liking how it's changed/grown/gone-to-pot and thinking about relocating?"  Or, "So you've lived here a long time, explored and enjoyed yourself and your independent life, but have you given a thought to "what next"? But I don't want to seem rude - like I'm somehow trying to "poach" people on other city forums. I love Guanajuato and advocate it for many reasons, but I don't want to PO the worthy expat advocates for SMA, Chapala, Cancun, etc.

I've seen a number of shorter-term expats (usually retirees) come and go, often to return to the U.S. for health reasons. Those of us who have been here a long time aren't as likely to skeedaddle back North when we have to deal with health concerns or encounter other adversity.

SO, in summary  I'm asking for suggestions from you about reaching out to expats like us who value both our independence and privacy, know the ropes, and plan to stay no-matter-what.  Thanks for reading!

I think it probable that anyone who has been here as long as you (and I) have will have become happily entrenched in their niches. Your cohousing plan is interesting, but except for the possibility of visiting to see how it works, I don't plan on relocating. It is possible that you will have to be the “wagonmaster” for the enterprise until you are five to ten years into it. 

I hope I'm not right, actually. I'd like to see something like that succeed. I talked to some people here about it maybe five years ago or so and It seemed too big a project for just a few of us to turn into a success.

So I'll wish you luck and apologize for not having any useful suggestions.

Thanks for the moral support, Babs.  I know I'll probably have to don several more hats besides wagonmaster and scout , but I'm willing to give it  my best effort.  Guess I'd better invest in a bigger hat tree!

I appreciate your honesty about your needs and what you are looking for.   Unfortunately, I am looking for connection on the Pacific (between Punta Mita and Puerto Vallarta).   I plan to stay only 6 months out of 12.   But I, too, am seeking connection with other retirees who are single and moving up in years!  I may start a blog or website for singles over 55.    I wish you luck.

Is there a specific word in Spanish for long-time expats

Muertos lite.   :D  < That's a smiley

HAHAHAHAHAH!

That was a belly laugh!

I think newcomers and people wanting to relocate and settle into Mexico overlook one important factor when considering what to buy, and/or where to live. They overlook the fact that there are many long time  resident expats that are leaving Mexico for any number of reasons after living in Mexico for many years, just like they do in any other part of the world. "Time to move " comes around sooner or later.
In many cases they are selling a proven property, that is ready to move into, and they have all the answers, know the ins and outs, and are living proof of "it can be done". I see it all the time where I live in Quintana Roo's riviera maya.
Before one decides, they should check out that avenue of hidden treasures, that offer no hassles.  There is always a nice one for sale. Just ask around. I could name 4 or 5 myself at any given time. It's the nature of the beast.

I have posted and advertised in other threads about the cohousing project , and maybe I shouldn't have explained on THIS thread my REASONS for trying to reach more longer-term residents. I apologize for confusing the issue.  The advice I seek here is for suggestions HOW to get the word out to a wider audience . So it's a question of method, rather than content.  I have avenues in my "home" town, and been successful in generating some interest here, but  what would YOU do if you were trying to connect, for WHATEVER reason, with this  more wide-spread demographic ?   Thanks!

Hi, Louis

I think that's a nugget of good advice for newcomers looking for a place!  Maybe they could benefit by you starting a separate thread addressing  that topic, something like "Tips for newcomers looking for real estate"?  Cheers, Jan

Jan..if anybody is interested in pursuing that path, they can ask me, or ask anyone in the area they wish to consider. i think the forum contributors would be happy to pass on the info. I always hear of or know of somebody leaving and wishing to sell, but where I am, prices go from a low of $300k up to 2 million.  Inland prices are considerably lower, and one only needs to drive around.

Got it.  I only suggesting starting a separate thread about it because people who might find your idea useful aren't likely to be looking at THIS thread topic.

My thoughts on your topic is that the most important criteria is reaching people who are interested in cohousing or would open their mind to the benefits this provides.
I am an architect with long experience in the design of adobe houses (even in Taos Pueblo) and interest in group Living dating to the 1970's when suggested by a psychologist friend.
I choose to retire in Oaxaca where I have a lot of friends, but Guanajuato was on my short list. I don't think it would be poaching to interest others. Put me on your list as interested as well as a potential designer.

Two words come to mind: Social Media!  it is FREE and can be used to target specific groups of people.  You can also start a Group, or post in MANY of the MX focused groups.***

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Promotion of external groups is not allowed.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Moderated by Chris 6 years ago
Reason : Please post your offer in the Housing section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct