Teaching jobs in Istanbul

Hello everyone,

Does any of you have any experience teaching ESL English in Istanbul either for a language school or privately ? If so could you share your experience please about what the pay scale is like and the work conditions ?

Thanks
Peyman

@Peyman44 I did all. Expect Lowest Pay to be around 15tl. per class hour. Highs in the upper 20's.
Private can go as high as 150tl. Per Hr,.
Good Luck.
P.S  Check out Online ESL. Teaching. More freedom less drama. You can teach on the GO if you travel the world.

Hi and thanks for your reply. So was it hard to find jobs in language schools and how's the private tutoring market? I'm reading alot that employers won't apply for a work permit for you because of high cost. So apparently many teachers work without? Is that right? Also are you still in Istanbul and teaching? Once again thanks appreciate your input.

Cheers
Peyman

Reason i didnt speak of conditions is because i had nothing nice to say about them.
Landing a job as an ESL. in the BUL. Is fairly easy. If you are well qualified.
No I am not in the BUL. Now. I travel for the most part,But have residence on the Black Sea at the northern most point of turkey.Quaint lil fishing town but gourjeous scenery.
If you are looking for the permit then you should be talking to government schools as private schools wont bother gettn you one for one reason or another.
And yes as you mentioned most teachers do it anyways for their own reasons.
I work online from bed,couch,balcony,boat or airplane.The school is in China.Big market there. I have been with them for almost 1 year. I also recruit for them.feel free to call me for further info .
US ***
Trky. ***
Whatsapp on turkish number.

Moderated by Christine 6 years ago
Reason : please share your contact via your private message system. Thank you.

Thanks again. Btw what's BUL? Thanks for the offer and your contact details too. I've actually been approached by Chinese recruiters but have my heart set on Istanbul for a number of reasons. Good to read your info it was very helpful thank you.

Best
Peyman

BUL = Short 4 IstanBUL.

Lol.. never would've guessed!

Do you mind if I ask you a few more questions ?

LoL ..Some of my New Yorker friends who frequent this region Call it the BOOO.
Hows da boo?
are you going to the bul?

I do not mind at all . Ask away .

Thanks I appreciate it. I'll list them so it'd be easier to answer :)

- Working without a work permit does it encourage language schools to take advantage of you? Say not pay you on time or ask for extra hours since there is no contract? Is it reliable work? Is it even worth the risk since pay is so low?

- Are these schools checked for illegally working teachers/have you known of instances of ppl getting into trouble with the police?

- If say I come and start applying for jobs which schools do you recommend?

- Cost of living in BUL ! lol

I have visited Istanbul almost every summer and really like it there..but I know living somewhere is quite different from being a visiting tourist with no worries.

Thanks again for your time.

Cheers
Peyman

To be quite honest I do not recommend working here w.o. permit. Answer is yes yes and yes to the first questions.
The staff and students were ordered out of the building one tuesday morning because a govt. inspection was scheduled.They were told school wasnt open yet. we were told if we stayed we would be subject to a fine of 600tl. for illegaly working at this school.
I worked for American Life
English Master.
English Time.
But they could never abuse me cus i'm from brooklyn. I wrote the book on scams they tried to pull.
I negotiated my pay before starting work then only worked 1-2 days per week.
No Slavery for me.
Living in the BUL is very cheap. I mean if you compare it to NYC. or Montreal. Its almost free living.
You can get a nice Pad for less than 500 bux per month. Food is still cheap.1500 US.you can live in the BUL and have a very nice life minus ECA>>such as Bar hoppn or 420 will cost you another grand .Transportation is public and plentifull. I bought a car simply because i like to travel across Europe, and got tired of leasing.Same reason i left the BUL cus drivers are worse than cabies stuck on the L.I .Expressway in Queens.
There are plenty of reputable schools in the BUL. mostly Universities. Just dont belive any of them who will promise you a permit.They all lied to me.Google ESL. in Turkey. Always haggle its the rule here.especially when you are offered a job.

I think i covered everything you asked.
and you are welcome anytime.

Thanks man. You've been great help and I really appreciate it.

My best,
Peyman

Np.

i got an offer from a school but they are asking me to pay for the visa processing and permits and said that they will reimburse the money. In Oman or any part of the middle east, the school processes everything before you can fly in and work. Im just confused that's why i have not accepted the offer yet. Please enlighten me on this. thanks

brye, sometimes they may ask for it, bcs some people let school pay all costs but later find another job after arrival.
you should give us more information;
-did you apply this job, or you got the offer without any application?
-name of the school?
-email that they use?
-web site?
-phone numbers?

hi Borraro,

thanks for the reply. The school name is Sefakoy National Academy. they asked me to contact FERHAT BAYRAM ASSOCIATES LAW FIRM.

i actually went to their website and emailed them back the offer for me to confirm if it's from them using their email address and they said it's from them. im just not feeling sure about it that's why i am here to ask.

how you received the offer? is it sefakoyna.com?

i received it from [email protected] but when i asked them if the offer is from them using [email protected] and they confirmed that its from them.

links are under review, so i cant see now.
but i can say that it is 100% scam if it is sefakoyna.com.
even if it is not, there is no school in istanbul whose name is sefakoy national academy, it is fake.

it is sefakoyna.com
i am also searching but they have a website that looks real.

i am also thinking that its a scam but i just want to know if my suspicion was true.

i cant see the links, i will check later and revert outcome accordingly..
(dont use www or @, otherwise it is automatically becomes invisible until expat staff check it)

or resend the link without www and dots, or just use spaces

or send me personal message

it is scam, there is no such school.
the address is invalid.
the phone number is gsm.

hello, I was also offered a teaching Job in Dogan National Academy.  but they asked me to pay for the visa and work with this travel agency  [email protected].
I think this is also a scam.

please enlighten me.

both scam

Thank you. Very helpful

Hi

I also received a similar offer from Dogan National Academy.