Need feedback on KLM pet in cabin trip from USA to AMS

Hi,
Does anybody have direct experience with KLM flying a dog in cabin? I already booked the flight for this June and I already have all the info from the Vet here about the documents, but I was wondering how easy the check-in is at the desk. I have already paid online for the pet request.
Any information you might have from direct experience or friends would be a huge help. We are flying out of LAX. Thanks!

I've never done it personally, but I used to work at a regional airport in Germany; I do know that the rules are not the same everywhere and change at a moments notice.

To answer your specific question, KLM have pretty mixed feedback on "Airline Ratings" (5.3/10); from another website, I picked up:

KLM pet rules in the cabin wrote:

"The pet must be transported in a kennel or pet travel bag no higher than 7.9 in that allows the animal to stand up and lay down comfortably.

The total weight of your pet and the travel kennel must not exceed 13lbs and must be placed under the seat in front of you.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

All the details can be found on the KLM website on how to check in your pet.

Always make a reservation for your pet by telephone. Please note that we have room for a limited number of kennels in the cabin. Therefore we strongly advise you to make the reservation at the latest within 24 hours after you have booked your ticket, but at least 48 hours before departure. Unfortunately it is not possible to bring a pet in the cabin in Business Class on intercontinental KLM flights, because there is no space for your pet under the seat in front of you. Please make sure you have the kennel dimensions and weight available. If you want to bring your assistance dog with you into the cabin, please make sure that you meet the requirements.

As for the airline I find it to be one of the best, I fly with them every time I fly back to the UK, but I've not travelled with an animal with them.

Please read Pets on KLM  Flights Website

The trouble is each country and in fact, and airport have different rules. I would recommend that you call the airline.

If you have Facebook or Twitter you can contact KLM 24/7 365 days a year and they normally respond to you in no time at all.

KLM Facebook

KLM Twitter

I hope this is of use to you.

SimCityAT
Expat.com Expert Team

Thanks! I guess we will find out in three months at the airport...

Just updated my post if you care to see the extra bits to it. MPChir :)

Yes, they are also responding on WhatsApp! At first my request was rejected due to the height of the carrier being 0.8 cm over (yeah, you read that right, 0.8 cm) so I called and managed to talk to a real person giving the sizes of another carrier. The person on the phone told me to wait 48 hours for the decision. In the meantime, on Messenger, when I asked for a link to pay for it after their approval, they sent me the link right away and so I was able to pay without waiting 48 hours.
I don't know how the person on the phone can give me different information for the same flight, but I don't care as long as we can board the flight and brace for 10 hours until we get there.
Honestly, the dog is too small to fly under the plane. We are talking about a Miniature Dachshund Chihuahua mix, so anybody's cat is bigger than her.
Thanks so much again!

Unless you have already done so it's worthwhile to register with their Bonus card especially if you plan to use them in the future.

Their Bonus scheme is called FLYING BLUE

But thank you for the update, I am sure it will be of use to other members.

Safe travels, please come back with any future updates and lets us know how you get on.

So here I am to update everybody who might go through the same experience.
Check-in at LAX was the smoothest I have ever had. The dog was walking, out of her travel bag, and I wasn't asked to put her in to weight her. I was concerned about the size of our travel bag that exceeded the KLM size by 0.5 cm. They didn't even look at the bag. They made a copy of her health certificate, didn't even scan the microchip and that was it.
So, for everybody flying out of LAX with KLM pet in cabin, take a deep breathe and you will be fine. Dag! :D

MPChir wrote:

So here I am to update everybody who might go through the same experience.
Check-in at LAX was the smoothest I have ever had. The dog was walking, out of her travel bag, and I wasn't asked to put her in to weight her. I was concerned about the size of our travel bag that exceeded the KLM size by 0.5 cm. They didn't even look at the bag. They made a copy of her health certificate, didn't even scan the microchip and that was it.
So, for everybody flying out of LAX with KLM pet in cabin, take a deep breathe and you will be fine. Dag! :D

Hi 'n hartlich welkom.  Thanks for coming back with some feedback on your journey.

Cynic
Expat Team