Bringing parents to Netherlands

I've seen similar threads but never exactly same circumstances.  Hope that someone can provide guidance.

My wife, myself, and my two children will be relocating to the Netherlands later in 2016 for work.  The four of us are Canadian citizens, but my wife also has Irish citizenship.  I believe that I'll be getting a "Highly Skilled Worker" visa, but for argument's sake, let's see if this still works with a regular work visa.

My mother is 84 years old.  I'm her only child, and while she doesn't live with us, she does depend on me to be around.  So, I'd like to relocate her as well.

Will my work visa/highly skilled visa allow me to bring her in for residency (in order for her to be able to stay longer than 6 months and be able to purchase the public healthcare)?  If not, would she alternatively be able to come in given that she is mother-in-law to an EU citizen (my wife)?

I'm assuming that my mother-in-law (the mother of the EU citizen) would have no issues entering herself as direct blood relative of an EU citizen despite not being an EU citizen herself.

Thanks in advance!

Two comments:

the first one is on your last comment: don't assume that your mil have an easy access despite she is a parent of an EU citizen and she's not. It depends on her valid passport.

According to this site your mother can come with you but  you (or she) needs to prove that she's depending on you. How and what to prove doesn't say. … dex_en.htm

The best what you can do is to visit the nearest Dutch Embassy for better and more clarification.

Good luck and all the best.

Many thanks for your response, that helps.
You're right that I shouldn't be complacent in assuming that the mil will be allowed just because she is mother to an EU citizen.  I've taken your advice and written to the Dutch consulate in Canada.  Assuming that I get a response that lets me understand the facts, I'll post the answer back here in case someone else is in a similar situation in the future.

That would be great, thanks.

As an update, the Canadian consulate has gotten back to me and sent me to IND to get a ruling.  I've e-mailed them and now await their answer.
I was also forwarded this link: … fault.aspx

While I'll let IND do the ruling, it seems fairly clear that my mother-in-law would be eligible simply by virtue of being mother to the EU citizen.  For my mother, it appears that eligibility would be based on financial/health dependence given that one of the other criteria (that she's living with us here) is not applicable.

So here's the "conclusion" to this.

My mother-in-law (mother of EU citizen) = no issue.  Just needs to prove her relationship with the EU citizen, have a valid passport, and not "be a threat".

My mother (mother-in-law of EU citizen) is a bit more complicated.  She can stay if she proves a couple of things.  Such as either living with us for 6+ months prior to the move.  Or that she depends on us financially or medically.  The key with these is that they rely on documents from "competent authorities" that these are true.  My further question to IND is what qualifies as a "competent authority".
So, in short, she can do it, but there'll have to be some documentation in place.  Nothing that a good immigration lawyer can't help us ensure that we have.  Without that documentation, though... she can only stay a max of 3 months.


So sorry to hear that but I expected that somehow ...
You need to concentrate on the documents.
Try to prove that she's depending on you, social isolation etc.

Competent Authority (CA) = Government Body responsible for legislation.  So health = Health Ministry; defence = defence ministry etc etc.

That said, I know in the UK that some CA's are actually agencies of Government departments, for example The Environment Agency are a CA for environmental matters, but not an actual Government Department (known as a "Executive non-departmental public body".

Agree with that definition of "Competent authority".  Thus, which Competent authority will provide documentation that she was living with me, or that she relies on me for financial/physical support that can't be provided by anyone else?  It's gray in those cases, and IND could clarify no further.

Because it's a grey area and apparently they are different for each country. Maybe for this the IND can't clarify what you exactly need.

These seem to be social care issues; I just checked the Canadian Government website and it seems this is devolved to individual Provinces; this link gives you the contact details for each; I'd start with that.

New topic

Expatriate health insurance in the Netherlands

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in the Netherlands

Moving to the Netherlands

Find tips from professionals about moving to the Netherlands

Travel insurance in the Netherlands

Enjoy a stress-free travel across the Netherlands

Flights to the Netherlands

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to the Netherlands