Any expats living in Geita County?

Hello Guys,

I am currently evaluating moving to Tanzania, more specific Geita county. I am aware this area is a bit more rural compared to Dar or Zanzibar, but I was wondering whether any expats actually live here or in the proximity of Geita county. I would like connect with you and share some insights (housing/health/transportation)

Please feel free to reply and many thanks in advance!
Tim

Hi Tim,

Geita County is fairly large. Geita town is where the GGM mine is. Geita is a small quiet community with expats living inside the mining village. Mwanza is the closest city with nice supermarkets etc. To live in Geita without your own transportation might be difficult, but there are many taxis and busses which can transport you all the way accross Lake Victoria on the numerous ferry's into Mwanza.

Thanks Weruschka, I appreciate your reply. Any insight on access to (private) health providers? What is the overall quality of health centres in general?  are there any good quality hospitals in Geita town, Google Maps shows some, but I cannot judge about the quality they provide.

Hi Tim! I live in Dar es salaam but I have there couple of times to visit my relatives, There is good hospitals such as Makoye hospital, GGM hospital and Geita hospital and they offer quality services according to their level though you cannot compare it Dar es salaam but they can actually save human lives

Hi Tim! I live in Dar es salaam but I have been there couple of times to visit my relatives, There is good hospitals such as Makoye hospital, GGM hospital and Geita hospital and they offer quality services according to their levels though you cannot compare it to Dar es salaam but they can actually save human lives

Your very welcome Tim. I found GGM docters to be great!
I lived in Geita, Kitoma Hill (famous for black mambas) and now I live in Mwanza. If I have a problem now I still contact Dr. Kirwani at GGM first. The local market is good for fresh fruit and vegetables and there are a few hotels at which I enjoyed the local food too. There is also a nice golf course inside GGM with a good restaurant. It does get extremely hot during the dry seasons and only two swimming pools. One inside the GGM Village and the other at Lenny's Hotel.

Thanks for your comment Dar es salaam city guide, I appreciate it!

There should be some due to the mine (geita gold mine) in that place...lived there for 2 years iam in dar now

On hospital issue, personally I can rate waja  and sakamu  to be much better innservive provision than the rest which are also few in that region..(talking out of experience of two years 2015 to 2017) when I was there