Entering Oman as Resident but with passport about to expire

Hello everyone! I've been in this site for a while, although just now I registered.

I'd like to know if you can help me with the following issue:

I presently live and work in Oman as an expat (I have Residence Visa valid until next year). I need to travel soon due to a family issue, however my passport will have around 5 months of validity by the time I come back to Oman.

Is the requirement of 6-month passport validity still applicable for Residents? Will I need to renew my passport before traveling? (It would be a BIG delay in my plans) Or given the fact that I have my Resident Card valid until 2019, I don't need to have 6 months in my passport?

I hope I have explained myself clearly, and also hope you can help me with this issue that now is causing me big headaches.

Thanks in advance

Every country I've visited or intended to visit has required six months minimum so it's better to renew before you leave, just in case.

Thank you for your comment Fred. I know that not in all countries it works the same way. For example, as citizen of your home country you can enter your country with a passport almos expired. Same applies for residency in other countries.

Renewing a passport is a real hassle in my country now, that's why I was saying it would cause a big delay in my plans.

Also somebody told me that theoretically I could enter Muscat airport through the E-Gates, where I wouldn't have to show my passport and as the residency is valid until mid-2019 then I would have no issue to enter Oman.

That sounds fine, the only problem is that as I plan to come with my family which still don't have the resident card yet (just now are getting joining visa), then I would have to use my passport and then the problem could arise.

Anyway, if somebody has any other useful information it would be greatly appreciated

Regards