Housemaid rights and visa applications

Am young women from Kenya working as a housemaid in Oman ,hopeful this November I will be finishing my two years contract and not planning to renew it . Sometimes back I told my boss am not sure if I will continue n he wasn't happy about it so he went mute on me for sometimes then again now his talking recently he told it's OK if I want to change house he has no problem and now he says something else that is,if I want to go my new sponsor has to give him 2000rials for my release  haha...wildly crazy I guess now am wondering if I finish my contract do I have the right to demand to be taken to my office ND change house or he can take me to my country if I don't comply??? Secondly since he will not provide me Noc can I still go to my country and still comes back to Oman on tourist visa and after how long can I apply???

Hello please i have spent 10 months working as housemaid in Oman and I want to leave but my boss refuse to release me 😭 please what can I do I can't cope with this work again my body is getting weak 😭😭

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

if he release you ,sponsor will loose his visa as well agency fees , which he had been paid ,

as per  Omani law's if you depart Oman without NOC u could not come back till next 2 years, be sure before leaving country obtain NOC from current sponsor,

Mamafloyd,
  No new sponsor will pay 2000 rials as release money as it is cheaper to get a house maid through a recruitment agency, that is half of that price. Better contact the recruitment agency office who brought you here if they can take you back after you've finished your work contract. If you choose to go home, that is fine. An employer cannot or should not force you to stay if you don't want to. Without NOC from previous employer, you can't go back to Oman in 2 years. If you went home and wants to come to Oman again as a tourist, check with Oman Embassy in Nairobi for Oman tourist visa requirements.

I came here through a colleague of mine not agent

Queen aminah wrote:

Hi Queen aminah,

For your own safety, kindly do not post your phone number in the public forum.

You might receive a lot of unwanted calls.

Cinta Irog wrote:

Mamafloyd,
  No new sponsor will pay 2000 rials as release money as it is cheaper to get a house maid through a recruitment agency, that is half of that price. Better contact the recruitment agency office who brought you here if they can take you back after you've finished your work contract. If you choose to go home, that is fine. An employer cannot or should not force you to stay if you don't want to. Without NOC from previous employer, you can't go back to Oman in 2 years. If you went home and wants to come to Oman again as a tourist, check with Oman Embassy in Nairobi for Oman tourist visa requirements.

Hi Cinta Irog,

You have responded to an almost two-year-old post.

I hope the one that posted the query is home and happy by now !

Oladepo suliyat wrote:

Hello please i have spent 10 months working as housemaid in Oman and I want to leave but my boss refuse to release me 😭 please what can I do I can't cope with this work again my body is getting weak 😭😭

Hi Oladepo suliyat,

I am sorry to hear of your plight.

Through this forum, I see so many from your country who are going through / or have gone through very similar ordeals as yours, at the hands of their Omani employers and their families.

As an employee, you have your basic rights. Any violation of your basic rights will be considered a serious enough offence by the Ministry of Labour as well as by the Ministry of Manpower and not to mention the ROP. It would be classified as a 'human rights violation'.

So, you do not have to suffer in silence on account of your ill-treatment you are getting at the hands of your employer / sponsor.

As an expatriate employee, you can complain about your employer / sponsor by giving a police complaint. Or you can lodge a complaint in the Ministry of Manpower website (if you are unable to go there in person).

If there is your country's official presence in Muscat (embassy), then please call their emergency help line immediately and state your case to them. They will take care of your interests.

Be firm and tell your boss in no uncertain terms that you cannot work like the way you are working. Also, subtly drop hints and let your employer know that if push comes to shove you will not hesitate to seek official redressal for your crisis. No employer / sponsor would want to get caught on the wrong side of the law.

Most importantly, stay strong and be bold.

What a blooper!!! 😬

😂😂😂😂am still around I changed long time now  done with the next contract yesterday ....infact now am changing my visa to my hubby's

😂😂😂😂am still around I changed long time now  done with the next contract yesterday ....infact now am changing my visa to my hubby's

How many years contract did you sign

As per my knowledge you need not take NoC as you completed your contact

If after the completion of your contract and you decide to return to your homeland then you don't need an NOC but if you are still in Oman and need to change job or sponsor, then, you need an NOC. The law of Oman allows you to change your sponsor at the end of your contract or termination of contract but you most provide the evidence of the expiry of the contract or termination of employment as proof. The procedure is for your new sponsor/employee to call or send an official internal request to your old sponsor/employee to transfer your visa and when that is done, then you are free to go.
And again, according to the new amendment of labour law this year, The Royal Oman Police (ROP) lifted the two-year waiting or cooling-off period outside the country that was mandatory after canceling the previous employment contract..
Secondly, you can come in with visit visa which maximum stay is 30days with single or multiple entries.
Pls, make your enquires before taking any action.

Dapo, I think you should just calm down for now and see how to finish your contract, then you can opt out for another sponsor.  or you can call on your agency.

Good evening to everyone....its a right to know what shall i do nowbecause i do work 5months i ask them if they process my labourcard.my sponsor tell bukra inshallah....im thinking they on process and we agree that i have 2x off every month.after 5 months when i get sick and i positive in covid my old labour card i use in hospital 5 months bukra inshallah.....when that 11march is my off i ask them i go to send money because my daugther need money she's on hospital. My mdam tell no corona not yet finish.....its my rightto go because its my day off.she said no you cannot go alone.....i go my room and i stay here im so much angry.....im feel too much tired do work from morning untill mednight.cleaning washing and ironing clothes and cooking....i want to finish my contract but because of this i suffer to get sick and more money i spend that time i rent a room for 6days because i have covid last 15feb....i feel im dying no family see and come to give foods only one person that more worried to me thats my long friend and i treat as my family... i go last march 11,near 1p.m  but i cannot find car because too much hot i go there in little park and i set here after i saw that have taxi.then i go there in that mainroad near only and i go....im not go home 2days i call my sponsor and i ask how much my release he said 1,600 too much.sponsor to sponsor basis....what shall i do now.....i need work because im only one who feed my kids....to send them in school.....any one can give me a right for this very bad happened to here.only in first nice talking after they forget what they agree.......kindly give action about this im not go back in my sponsor again...they dont have one word....words of honor.....im very respect to all people but im very angry to those who not give my rights as a human...

Hi sahrahwaqas,

Posts like yours break my heart. I feel your pain.

Please contact your embassy and explain your predicament to them. If anyone can help you, it is only your embassy.

Do not trust anyone else. Knowing your plight people would try and take advantage of your unfortunate situation.

Be bold. Stay strong. Don't ever give up. All will be well.

Hi, Am a Nigerian working as a housemaid in oman for almost four years, is it possible for me to new my visa by myself,I don't want a housemaid jobs again,I want to work in another feed and live with friends, please anyone with advice on what I needed to do,,🙏🏿🙏🏿

@Rumydaisy good afternoon pls

Pls how many months can a housemaid stay if my visa expires

@Amegatse Rose-Mary

Yeah am also interested in this ur question 🙋

A single mother working as Housemaid want to bring her Daughter on her own as her daughter is alone in Srilanka.she is 9 years old.Her Boss agree to help her what is the procedure.From Srilanka