Transporting furniture across the border

My name is Marylou. We are buying a condo in club Santiago, Manzanillo, Mexico. I have been visiting there for 12 years already. My question is transporting furniture across the border and any complications that could arise. Thanks for any help.

Marylulu wrote:

My name is Marylou. We are buying a condo in club Santiago, Manzanillo, Mexico. I have been visiting there for 12 years already. My question is transporting furniture across the border and any complications that could arise. Thanks for any help.

Most of us who live here decided not to do that, because it is expensive, and in many cases the items did not work as well as in the U.S.
Wood for example does not hold up well. Most of the original wood items in mexico are very dense and heavy for a reason. Near the water and with humidity metals quickly succumb to rust. Oiling the doors and locks is a 4 times a year chore if you want your locks to work.

Then there is the , if you haven't used it in months do you really need it test.

Check out moving prices for shippers under the handy tools tab at the top of the page. Appliances and furniture is not hard to get here, and could be cheaper than the cost of shipping plus free heavy lifting and delivery..

As for the borders, it depends, they might take a long time inspecting and they may not. I only brought the essentials and bought a bed and since then linens here, other things were delivered for free by Amazon.

travellight wrote:
Marylulu wrote:

Most of us who live here decided not to do that, because it is expensive, and in many cases the items did not work as well as in the U.S.
Wood for example does not hold up well. Most of the original wood items in mexico are very dense and heavy for a reason. Near the water and with humidity metals quickly succumb to rust. Oiling the doors and locks is a 4 times a year chore if you want your locks to work.

Then there is the , if you haven't used it in months do you really need it test.

Check out moving prices for shippers under the handy tools tab at the top of the page. Appliances and furniture is not hard to get here, and could be cheaper than the cost of shipping plus free heavy lifting and delivery..

As for the borders, it depends, they might take a long time inspecting and they may not. I only brought the essentials and bought a bed and since then linens here, other things were delivered for free by Amazon.

Hi,  travellight,
I was not aware that Amazon shipped to Mexico. We are Prime members and this sounds very appealing. What kind of delivery  times do they offer? What about import fees,  etc.? I will also try to find answers on the Amazon site but will appreciate your personal experience! Thanks!

travellight wrote:
Marylulu wrote:

Hi,  travellight,
I was not aware that Amazon shipped to Mexico. We are Prime members and this sounds very appealing. What kind of delivery  times do they offer? What about import fees,  etc.? I will also try to find answers on the Amazon site but will appreciate your personal experience! Thanks!

Well Jan 2017,

They are having more and more available, and I think I have only had an import fee once. You can use their U.S. based store, or their Mexican store. The U.S. based store will let you know if an item can't be shipped to your address.

At first the Mexican site had little, but it has quite a bit now. Shipping is pretty quick , like the U.S. site they send a shipping notice and tracking. The only problem I have had is that it was due  on tuesday and actually arrived on the previous Friday. So you need to keep an eye on the tracking and have someone available to take delivery.

The packages arrive in good shape. If the item isn't available I check at Liverpool in the mall. I rarely do without something. Liverpool has pretty reasonable prices, and I bought a washing machine and bed there, with quick delivery and no problems.

The problem is some vendors just are not sure about Mexico, so they don't ship there. Mexican mail is slow but I find it reliable , and shipping is very fast.

One of the problems with that is because mail takes much longer than the U.S. people receive their package 2-3 weeks after the sender said it would arrive. I know it will be a week or two later so I just wait.
Some people appear to accept a refund on an item , then when it actually arrives they never let the vender know that. They just keep the item and the refund. 

I'm trying to get vendors to understand the longer time frame, but they don't change easily. Meanwhile the item is listed as a lost item and Mexico is blamed.

Recently I got something from iHerb , I mentally added a month for delivery because they use the mail, iherb asked me how I liked the product on their delivery date, I said I didn't have it yet and they immediately refunded my money . The package arrived a week later. I informed them and they asked about repeating the charge I said sure, and they were amazed about my honesty. So some of Mexico's reputation wasn't earned by Mexico.

Hi,  travellight, thanks again,  I appreciate your info! That will help me to "let go" of some things a little easier :). Sadly,  honesty has become something to reward,  but when I grew up it was expected of all us kids,  no wiggle room. To this day I cannot tolerate people who lie and cheat.