Relocating on a tight budget

Hi everyone I'm Jordan Parker from the uk 19 years old and looking to relocate to Malta with a friend and start a fresh for us both as soon as possible and was wondering if anybody could help me out with some of the cheapest living options available to me I would roughly have about €280 a month for rent until I start work for us both but I'm determined to get over there and start a job as quickly as I can so if there are job sites I should be looking at please inform me thank you.

I would think that amount is too low unless you are willing to share with other people, as regards employment do look at the jobs section on here, do you have qualifications?  The wages compared to UK are very low here so you could well only be earning €5 an hour, many people have more then one job to make ends meet, if you don't mind working in bars and restaurants you will probably be ok as you do not need to speak Maltese.  Good luck.

Hi thank you for your reply, yes we would definitely look at house sharing we only need 1 room 2 bed for around €280-€300 a month, yes I have qualifications in hospitality and catering I did a 2 year course at college I have a c grade in math science and English and yeah €5 and hour isn't that bad I just honestly need a fresh start for myself and a friend I'm not in a good place down here so all the help is appreciated.

Jvp20 wrote:

Hi thank you for your reply, yes we would definitely look at house sharing we only need 1 room 2 bed for around €280-€300 a month, yes I have qualifications in hospitality and catering I did a 2 year course at college I have a c grade in math science and English and yeah €5 and hour isn't that bad I just honestly need a fresh start for myself and a friend I'm not in a good place down here so all the help is appreciated.

If you are both just sharing a room, I think you could do it. Obviously might not be lavish, but if it's short term to get on your feet, it's doable.

What sort of industry do you want to get into? Do you know any other languages?

Thank you for taking the time to reply much appreciated, yeah it will be short term until we get on our feet to get a better place I'm not a fussy person for where I sleep I can sleep on a quilt on the floor it wouldn't bother me where as my friend just needs a single bed.

And as for industry I'm looking for I did a 2 year hospitality and catering course at college and passed so I think I could look into there or I also have level 2 nvq business administration aswell.

But if none of them I could start out collecting glasses I'm willing to do any sort of work offered to me.

It's just I come from the uk and have suffered with depression and anxiety so looking for a good fresh start I've never wanted something more....

Good luck in finding somewhere to work, have you been to Malta before?

Thank you and no never been Malta never been abroad in my life I've just ordered my first passport.

Where that could be a down fall for others I've never been more determined to better myself

One of the good points about Malta is that most people speak English and drive on the same side of the road, although many tend to drive in the middle and do not signal!!

That's fantastic as I have my motorcycle license

Jvp20 wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to reply much appreciated, yeah it will be short term until we get on our feet to get a better place I'm not a fussy person for where I sleep I can sleep on a quilt on the floor it wouldn't bother me where as my friend just needs a single bed.

And as for industry I'm looking for I did a 2 year hospitality and catering course at college and passed so I think I could look into there or I also have level 2 nvq business administration aswell.

But if none of them I could start out collecting glasses I'm willing to do any sort of work offered to me.

It's just I come from the uk and have suffered with depression and anxiety so looking for a good fresh start I've never wanted something more....

You should be able to find a job in a restaurant/cafe or hotel almost immediately when you get here. The season quietens quite a bit in the winter but it is very short and ads are starting to appear in the media for the coming season now.
Even on the low wages in the industry if two of you are working you should be able to afford somewhere to live, even more so if you consider Gozo. (Quieter but nicer and cheaper)

Have a look at Facebook Group ' Jobs in Gozo', not masses of jobs but they are genuine ads.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1607780432834034/
Good Luck

Ray

The myth of 5 Euros per hour is still around? Besides waiters, chambermaids and self-proclaimed downshifters, the last 2 years I haven't met any (educated) foreigner with such a low salary.

If you have a pretty good knowledge of any language other than Maltese, you can easily get a job with a pay of 23-25k per year - equals to 10 Euro per hour. With English skills only, you need to compete with locals and this squeezes the hourly rate down - but you might succeed with a higher level of education.
Anyway, with excellent writing skills, you can make up to 28-30k - makes 13-14 Euro/hr.

Recently I rejected an offer as a "German Content Writer" for stupid iGaming industry with a monthly salary (incl. performance bonus, working only during office hours) of around 2,500 - there are some languages with a desperate lack of qualified manpower on this island.

Malta is not a good place for "physical work", but they pay good for skills, they cannot cover with local brainpower ;-) - meaning different languages and/or good expertise in any professional sector.

JVP20, if you come to Malta, better you consider a job in Customer Service or Sales. The jobs are better paid than in hospitality sector and even here the required qualifications are down at a minimum level.

Thank you for the information I'll have to definitely check the website very much appreciated

iGaming Jobs in Malta
https://www.facebook.com/groups/810016465726874/https://www.facebook.com/groups/igamingmalta/

Some companies even offer remote work or freelancer contracts, then you can live in cheap Gozo and benefit from high Gaming salaries from Malta.

Thank you for the information that's helped me a lot actually

I'll definitely have to have a look at customer service jobs

Also want to point out that you really should come here first before deciding to move. Malta isn't for everyone for various reasons. Being a teenager and having an ambition for adventure/change is admirable, but check it out before taking the plunge IMO.

Have you considered Jersey, Guernsey, Channel Islands? The pay is must better, most of the hotels offer staff accommodation and freeboard. Unless it's changed you don't pay income tax for the first 2 years.

The weather not as good!

GozoMo wrote:

The weather not as good!

Jerseys weather is lovely.

Not as hot as Malta!!

SimCityAT wrote:
GozoMo wrote:

The weather not as good!

Jerseys weather is lovely.

The weather in the Channel Islands is no where near as good as Malta & Gozo

The main site for work is keepmeposted.
You can earn €5 an hour but if your prepared to work shifts you will be ok.
Get there and enjoy...P

Jvp20 wrote:

Hi everyone I'm Jordan Parker from the uk 19 years old and looking to relocate to Malta with a friend and start a fresh for us both as soon as possible and was wondering if anybody could help me out with some of the cheapest living options available to me I would roughly have about €280 a month for rent until I start work for us both but I'm determined to get over there and start a job as quickly as I can so if there are job sites I should be looking at please inform me thank you.

Hi Jordan,
Hope all is good mate.
Maybe this will be of some use to you..
300 €   [Monthly]
Gozo - Victoria, Gozo

Re/Max rentals and property

Jordan has not been on here for a while and he wanted to live in Malta not Gozo.

GozoMo wrote:

Jordan has not been on here for a while and he wanted to live in Malta not Gozo.

Oh, my mistake..  :dumbom:  I was to hasty in trying to help,,
Thank you for telling me..
Tommy

Hi mate thank you for your reply is the €300 a month for 1 person and if so would 2 of us be able to move in, and how much would that be?

Jvp20 wrote:

Hi mate thank you for your reply is the €300 a month for 1 person and if so would 2 of us be able to move in, and how much would that be?

Welcome back :)

€300 a month for the unit,,  not per person..
I found it on re/max a real estate agent,.,
This unit is in Gozo not mainland Malta, if you follow the link again there is a Red box top right of the page.., "contact me" press that and fill in your details and Jolene Bugeja
RE/MAX Property Centre, will get back to you..
Now I can only go by what is written on their webpage, and this unit says that the property is Available: from 30/11/2018 and is situated in Gozo - Victoria, Gozo
So even if you don't get this one its a great webpage to find the renting of your choice..
I rented from Re\Max in Australia and only had good experience with them..
All the best, keep your dream alive and do those changes you talk about. It will all work out in the end..
Cheers
Tommy

Thank you I'll be sure to head straight over into the website thank you for all your help it's very much appreciated And the dream is still there🕺🏼

:cheers: always happy to help.
Good luck and keep us informed on how it all works out.
Tommy

SingelDadGoingGozo wrote:
Jvp20 wrote:

Welcome back :)

€300 a month for the unit,,  not per person..
I found it on re/max a real estate agent,.,
This unit is in Gozo not mainland Malta, if you follow the link again there is a Red box top right of the page.., "contact me" press that and fill in your details and Jolene Bugeja
RE/MAX Property Centre, will get back to you..
Now I can only go by what is written on their webpage, and this unit says that the property is Available: from 30/11/2018 and is situated in Gozo - Victoria, Gozo
So even if you don't get this one its a great webpage to find the renting of your choice..
I rented from Re\Max in Australia and only had good experience with them..
All the best, keep your dream alive and do those changes you talk about. It will all work out in the end..
Cheers
Tommy

It's been mentioned on here many, many times do not take too much notice of agents sites as most of the properties advertised are out of date and when shown a date for being available is when the lease of the person renting it is up, not necessary when available.

Jvp20 wrote:

Thank you I'll be sure to head straight over into the website thank you for all your help it's very much appreciated And the dream is still there🕺🏼

Thought you wanted to live in Malta not Gozo.

Yes, I have read here and other places about agent, that's why I pointed him to the contact section so he can talk to them and get updated information..

As I have read many places that they are just an agent, they want their commission and then they have nothing to do with it anymore..
Unlike in many other countries where I have travelled and lived, they collect the rent from the tenant and any problems you turn to the agent,.,
But rather if I understand it correctly,. They just find a tenant for a landlord, get there commission and they are out of the picture.

Correct in what you said, if you wish to rent in Gozo try Facebay Gozo Properties to Let, some are advertised by agents but many are direct from the owner, we found where we are living now on there.

I sincerely believe that he just wants to start a fresh new life, stuck between a rock and a mountain, he wants to better his life.
So getting away from England is his main goal for himself and his friend..
Now I know you can't run away from your problems, but you can improve your life and better oneself with a new start, thus I believe that be it Gozo or Malta that is totally irrelevant to him.
With a tight budget he has to start from the bottom and work his way up,, until he find work, then he can look for a more expensive place to rent on the mainland, unless he opts for share accommodation.
Then again I could be wrong.
Btw, great to see that he has come back to the forum.
The more we are the more we can accomplish..
One for all and all for one makes for a life filled with fun, love and laughter Imho!

All the best to one and all.
Tommy

GozoMo wrote:

Correct in what you said, if you wish to rent in Gozo try Facebay Gozo Properties to Let, some are advertised by agents but many are direct from the owner, we found where we are living now on there.

Thank you, GozoMo.  :one
Fantastic informative information.
Follow the link bellow to find the fb group GozoMo has recommended..

site is only for Long Term Residential Property Lets wanted and available in Gozo

:)  Tommy

Hi Jordan from UK

I hope it all goes well for you and your friend.

Regards
EmpressMalta