Renovating/Converting a House of Character

Hi,
My wife and I are thinking about buying an unconverted House of Character and converting it or rather having it converted. Since we neither have the time nor skill to do it ourselves, we would need a company that can take care of everything that needs to be done and first give us a good estimation of what it would cost. A lot needs to be done: pumbling, electricity, stonework, floors, kitchen, bathrooms, knocking down and rebuilding a ceiling and more. 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, garden, courtyard, dining, sitting, living, basement.
Do any of you have experience - good or bad - with any companies that can do this? We would appreciate recommendations or warnings or any general advice.
Also, does anybody want to venture a guess for the total cost of this? We´re guessing somewhere between 100k and 200k Euros, but don´t have a good idea.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Jan

Hello Jan,

I posted a similar request for recommendations for builders or companies to renovate a house of character on this site, a couple of weeks ago and have yet to receive any replies. I also have a post on another forum which has not received a reply for 2 months!
So I'm curious to know if anyone did reply with recommendations as I don't see any replies at all. It would be great to share the information-I'm sure we can't be the only people looking for decent builders!

A lot of us rent and therefore have not used builders so cannot recommend anyone.

What you are looking for is called a "turnkey contractor" in Malta.

If it's a sizeable property expect this to take literal YEARS. It might take you more than a year just to get the permit to start working.  We bought a completed HOC and would love to renovate our own but several of my friends are renovating and tbh I can't see getting it done to a high standard if you don't have time.

Reply to GozoMo: Yes that's fair enough. It just seems odd how few people have been in a similar situation as Jan and I!

Hi Volcane,

Actually I do have permits to build. My problem was getting-and keeping-builders & a project manager to stay comitted to the project. I also have time, to be honest ,as I've been trying to get this done for , wait for it, 14 years....!
It's committment on the part of the Gozitan building community that's lacking, perhaps because they have always had more than enough work from peple who are residents? I honestly don't know.

vron :

Hi Volcane,

Actually I do have permits to build. My problem was getting-and keeping-builders & a project manager to stay comitted to the project. I also have time, to be honest ,as I've been trying to get this done for , wait for it, 14 years....!
It's committment on the part of the Gozitan building community that's lacking, perhaps because they have always had more than enough work from peple who are residents? I honestly don't know.

My friends in Gozo have better luck than you then hehe. But this all sounds like par for the course alas.

Could I get some contacts from your friends in Gozo then?  :)