Work Visa or no?

Hi all,

I'll keep it brief - my mom was born and raised in Ireland. Came over to the US and had me 25 years ago. Now from what I've been reading, I'm automatically an Irish citizen of sorts (If someone wants to explain this to me, please feel free  :/ ). I'm currently in the process of getting my passport. At least, I think I am? I'm still not sure if I can apply for one? I've read through the immigration website and have been in touch with consulates close to me and from what I understand, I can get one.

Will I still need to get a work visa?

Let me know if you need any more info. Thank you!

Hi there.  You have automatic Irish citizenship through your mother.  You won't need a work visa, but will need to get your Irish passport before you come.  Do not arrive without it, as it is the fundamental basis for everything you will need - Tax number, bank account, etc. etc. etc. Depending on what embassy you use, some can take up to 5 months to issue your passport. 

It may be better for you, if you are coming to Ireland on vacation, to apply for your passport through the Dublin office when you are here.  They should issue it within 10 days, but you would need to make sure you have everything you need to get them to process It (your mother's birth cert, passport number, etc. etc. etc.).  Check thoroughly you have what you need before you send the application.