South African spouse wanting to move to Ireland with British spouse

To whom it may concern

My fiance is a British national, currently living in Northern Ireland, and I am South African, living in South Africa.. We are interested in relocating to the Republic of Ireland next year once married ( we are getting married in South Africa early next year).

We have a few questions regarding the relocation process. In terms of the EU laws regulation 2006 ( freedom of movement of EU nationals) , my then-to-be- husband has the right to move to Ireland to live and work, which includes the right to have his non EU spouse join him. I as a South African spouse, would be a non EU national. I checked the visa requirements for South African nationals, and found that South Africa is a visa exempted country, as such I would not require a visa to enter the Republic.

Would a South African national require a visa or permit of any kind upon entry in the state if entering to join EU national spouse?

I would like to know what procedure we should follow to enable both of us to live and work in the Republic.  I read on the INIS website ( www.inis.gov.ie and citizeninformation.ie  ) that I would have to report to the local Garda upon arrival in the state to register my presence in the state and to acquire a stamp in my passport. Could you tell me more about this stamp, how long is it valid for and am I able to work with such a stamp?

I also read that my husband ( EU citizen ) should apply for PPS number to enable him to work in the state. Are there any other requirements that he must comply with?

Am I required to enter the state with my husband or should he already be settled in the state, with job and residential address?

Should I ( non -EU national family member) also apply for a residence card once I have registered with the Garda? If so, what documents are required and how long does it take to process?

Which documents do I require for entering the state? Is my South African passport sufficient, or do we need additional documents, like my husband's passport, our marriage certificate ( abridged or unabridged?).

Is there a minimum of funds required that we need to show upon entry to prove that we are able to support ourselves?

Are non EU national spouses allowed to go to Northern Ireland and England for a short holiday ( a week or so) while they have permission to reside in the state ( provided they have a valid UK visit visa )?

I know that some of the regulations have changed recently, like the requirement that the non EU national spouse should have resided in an EEA country for some time before joining EU national in Ireland. It is no longer required according to the sources that I have consulted.

We will both have private health insurance.

I would really appreciate any feedback on the above matters.

Thank you
Janet Jones

Hello Janet Jones.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll soon be helped by other members.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Janet

My husband and I are in the same boat as you were and would appreciate any assistance please.

It just does not make sense that we can arrive there and just state to immigrations that our intention is to stay. I have British passport but my husband only has an sa one.
Please help me with the exact same questions as what you asked.

1) Should a South African national require a visa or permit of any kind upon entry in the state if entering to join EU national spouse?

2) is the local Garda the immigration officers at the airport?? Do you go there and register with them on arrival and what do they need?

3) what procedure should we follow to enable both of us to live and work in the Republic. Could you tell me more about this stamp, which stamp is it, how long is it valid for and is he able to work with such a stamp?

4) Are there any other requirements that i (EU national) must comply with to get my PPS number? And can I only get it once I am there?

5)Which documents other than our passports and marriage certificate do we need on arrival?

6) Is there a minimum of funds required that we need to show upon entry to prove that we are able to support ourselves?

7) can my husband and I arrive together or do I as the EU national need to live and work there first?

8) Will either of us be on the NHS or need private health insurance?

Please help as we are quite confused with conflicting information and that which is not clear cut. Many people refer us to websites which dont actually answer all of the questions.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Candice Maroun

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
C.Maroun wrote:

Hi Janet

My husband and I are in the same boat as you were and would appreciate any assistance please.

Please help as we are quite confused with conflicting information and that which is not clear cut. Many people refer us to websites which dont actually answer all of the questions.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Candice Maroun

Hi Candice and welcome to the Forum.

First point, to protect your own internet security, please do not publish your personal contact information on the open forum.  I've temporarily hidden your post until a Moderator can edit it out.

To answer your specific questions; you're responding to a post that's over 6 years old, so I doubt if any of the original posters are still about.

To try and help you out, the Irish Government have a website that deals with many of the questions you have asked; this link will take you there.

Once you've gone through there, if you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team