Overstaying 90 day visa impact - US citizen

Hello.  I am in Romania with my dual citizen Romanian spouse, coming for the purpose of a legal matter that has been extended through no fault of ours.

Are there any repercussions of overstaying the visa time of 90 days?  I have sufficient documentation to support this need and this delay.

I would appreciate any pertinent response.

Thank you.

Of course there are repercussions, you can expect to be fined and/or possibly banned from re-entry for a determined period.  I'm quite confident that none of your documentation will matter.  Usually only in cases of medical emergency where you physically are not able to leave, will it be excused upon presentation of medical evidence.  Even then, you or a family members should have contacted the immigration police before reaching an overstay situation to apprise them of your situation.  As Romania has been attempting to enter Schengen, they have been very strict on penalizing over-stayers, to demonstrate that Romania is worth of joining the area.

So in addition to whatever legal troubles you have, overstaying will compound them as you will have made yourself a criminal against Romanian immigration law.  Allow plenty of time at the airport, it may not be a pleasant wait.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Have you already stayed for more than 90 days?

From my experience obtaining immigration status from the US, there should pose no problems getting an extension from immigration. I would contact them in person and they will tell you what documents you will need to show them. They can extend 30 days or more. Not sure of any implications if you don't notify them and stay over the 90 day limit other than possible deportation.

Thanks to all.  It is now being handled. T

What's the deal with your visa then? Being from US what did you have to apply for?