Worried Mum

My 28 year old daughter has lived and worked in Kenya for ten years. Her father lives there , I live in South Africa.
Earlier this year my daughter got a teaching job at the coast where she got involved with an unemployed Kenyan man.
Since then she never seems to have money, she seems to be manipulated and controlled.
Can anyone tell me if this is a common thing in Kenya? She is visiting me tomorrow for a few days. Let her return or try and encourage her to make a complete change?

Ooooh yes,we have what we call beach boys  and high rate of unemployed men at the coast who lie/ woo white people just for money.for me she is better of with you coz here she will be misused,made pregnant and later live a miserable life here in Kenya.let her not come back here.it is an annoying trend here in the Kenyan coast.im concerned, anything else I can do for you let me know.i, m Faith a teacher .

Something else,nairobi is a better lifestyle for her,she will find like-minded people,and also there are several international schools.why can't she relocate and she  disband any contacts from that goon and also somebody to keep watch on her,however I insist I guess she is better of with you.as a parent it's very discouraging to see your girls living with uneducated,unemployedman with this kind of Kenyan economy.it,s humiliating..my thoughts.

Heyy, oh I'm sorry to hear that! I'm originally from the coast, and I'll tell you for a fact that people living in the coastal region are known to be lazy, haha. Shame in us *face palm*. Anyway, concerning your daughter's situation, since I don't know her nor the man, I can only give you what I think. It's very possible that the man is taking advantage of or getting support from her. Maybe that's why she's almost needing more money for sustenance. However, it could be poor financial management, low salary and high living expenses or even a finance draining "project" or "business" she may be embarking on.
My take would be to talk with her about her relationship and lifestyle so that you have insight on what may be the problem. Also, if possible, the dad could visit or keep tabs with her for the sake of peace of mind?

I'm 23 and I have been living on my own since I was 20 so I understand where you could be coming from...my mom also worried a lot at first. But it's actually okay to let her keep working and living here, as long as she's healthy and she has a bit of guidance in the direction she should take.

Hope it helps!
Merceline Ambiyo

I agree with mercelicious.

If I may repeat what she said, you first need to talk to your daughter and get some insight/understanding of her situation. If possible, her father could also keep tabs on her  to ascertain exactly what is going on.

It is not a bad thing to love an unemployed man. It may be that the man is trying hard to get work but just hasn't caught his lucky break yet.
It is also very possible that she is being manipulated by the guy. The Kenyan coast has numerous lazy men who throng the beaches and fuck around with white women (mostly older) in return for financial upkeep. The coast is also a known drug smuggling zone. Many young men are affected by that, and they are most often lazy asses.

Please, talk to her first (not in a patronising manner), try to understand the circumstances, and then let her father do some on-ground investigation.
I wish you good luck